Here are some sample job advertisements for different types of Technical Writer roles:
The School of Professional Studies:
The CUNY School of Professional Studies (CUNY SPS) provides online and on campus degree and certificate programs that meet the needs of adults who are looking for a seamless way to finish or transition into a bachelor’s degree, earn a master’s degree or certificate in a specialized field, advance in the workplace, or change careers.
Drawing on CUNY’s nationally and internationally renowned faculty and practitioners, as well as industry and education partners, the School’s programs provide opportunities for personal growth, job mobility, greater civic participation, and new ways to advance knowledge.
Home to the first fully online degree programs at the City University of New York, CUNY SPS offers fully accredited degree and certificate programs for students who want the flexibility and convenience of online education.
CUNY SPS was ranked in the top 5% in the Nation in U.S. News & World Report’s list of the 2018 Best Online Bachelor’s Degree Programs.
SPS manages a comprehensive employee learning and performance support program for the NYC Human Resources Administration (HRA) Office of Child Support Services. OCSS works to ensure that children are financially supported by their noncustodial parents; the goal of the SPS program is to ensure that OCSS’s staff and vendors are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and procedural information needed to do their jobs and carry out this mission.
- Work with various OCSS operational areas to determine current standard practices and create comprehensive procedure documents detailing these practices.
- Write independently using standard writing processes (outlining, drafting, revising, proofreading) to produce professional-level documents (50 to 150 pages).
- Manage the technical aspect of all documents, including using styles and adhering to standards in templates and style guides.
- Apply agency-wide editorial standards to all documents.
- Conduct independent research to acquire an understanding of the process to be documented, to resolve questions, and to incorporate new agency standards, policies, and laws/regulations into the procedure.
- Work closely with OCSS subject matter experts to collect the information and details necessary for the full development of each document, and to test/verify the accuracy of the work.
- Facilitate subject matter expert development meetings, and project scope meetings.
- Manage document development within project timelines.
- Collaborate with project Curriculum Developers and Trainers to ensure that procedures are properly and fully integrated into training materials developed for OCSS staff.
- Troubleshoot issues with content development by communicating with the client and subject matter experts.
- Create flow charts outlining the flow of work of specific OCSS operations, when needed, and use them as a basis for developing or troubleshooting detailed procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A minimum of four (4) years, full-time experience directly related to technical writing required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required in order to foster productive relationships with diverse staff and constituencies.
- Strong writing skills needed to produce clear and concise materials.
- The ability to manage the technical aspect of documents, including automation (e.g., tables of content, styles, field codes), adhering to a style guide, and using templates.
- The ability to define and document business processes through research, meetings with the client, and testing.
- The ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced, demanding, and complex work environment, to carry out complex assignments, and adapt to changing situations and priorities.
- Strong computer skills required, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word (critical) and Excel.
- Experience developing flow charts desirable, with knowledge of Microsoft Visio.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles, legal terminology, and/or human services programs and child support services in particular, a plus.
The Bloomberg Financial Products Documentation team writes and produces Help resources that are vital building blocks of the Bloomberg client experience. Our Help Pages and product tours make a real impact on our flagship product and on the business of our clients. We don’t just tell our clients how to use the vast integrated platform of functionality on the Terminal—we show them why the product helps them meet their goals when billions of dollars are at stake.
What’s the role?
Our writers create client-facing user documentation for the Bloomberg Terminal. Our work integrates the acumen for writing precise instructions with the creativity and financial knowledge necessary to write tangible, benefit-focused materials. You will interact with product managers and programmers at all levels of the company and drive the scope and direction of documentation deliverables. Sitting within UX Design, we have a keen focus on discoverability of our product and collaborating towards client-focused solutions.
We’ll trust you to:
- Research, write, and produce a high volume of client-facing documentation for a dynamic product.
- Build engaging benefit-focused material with excellent attention to detail and strong content organization.
- Generate creative ideas while working both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Manage a high volume of projects and priorities independently, in close collaboration with multiple stakeholders.
You need to have:
- 3 or more years of technical writing experience or related discipline.
- Strong writing skills appropriate for an end-user client audience.
- Confirmed experience taking a creative approach to engaging, benefit-based content.
- The ability to analyze and transform custom financial tools and analytics into accurate, user-friendly documentation.
- Tested project management skills, including strength in managing and organizing multiple projects with variable timelines.
- A proven track record of success interacting with all levels of staff and management, including business specialists, development teams, and senior management.
- The ability to quickly learn and use new software applications.
We’d love to see:
- Editing experience.
- Demonstrated initiative in innovating and implementing workflow, process, and technical solutions.
- Experience in a role which required a working understanding of financial markets.
- Aptitude for strong visual display of information and image production as part of effective content design.
- Experience with DITA, HTML, or online authoring tools.
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we’re a good match. We would like to see writing samples for this position, so please submit 2-3 samples of end-user documentation or training materials from a recent role or project.
We’ll get in touch to let you know about next steps, but in the meantime feel free to have a look at this: http://www.bloomberg.com/professional
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
BNY Mellon is a global investments company dedicated to helping its clients manage and service their financial assets. We can act as a single point of contact for clients looking to create, trade, hold, manage, service, distribute or restructure investments. Whether providing financial services for institutions, corporations or individual investors, BNY Mellon delivers informed investment management and investment services in 35 countries.
Our Technology teams places great emphasis on reducing risk and increasing resiliency which puts a strong focus to our engineering practices including reliability engineering and development standards. The
Resilient Systems Engineering (RSE) group is charged with addressing the need to continually enhance the stability, resilience, and recoverability of the firm’s critical assets and underlying infrastructure.
Uniquely, the RSE group bridges both infrastructure and application development teams requiring deep expertise in the entire technology stack to achieve highly resilient, scalable, and performant business services required by our clients.
Senior Technical Writer –
Join a global team in our technology department to develop highly technical documentation of our middleware, using developer notes as the base. The audience for this documentation will be engineers who use our middleware in their software development projects.
You must be exceptionally proficient in English and grammar, deeply technical, able to produce and edit technical documentation according to the Microsoft Manual of Style and DITA standards, have the ability to analyze and interact with software features, and deliver a diverse range of technical content in a fast-paced environment. You’ll work with our team of exceptional engineers, writers, and product managers to learn how users can benefit from our middleware, then explain it in user documentation, white papers, knowledgebase articles, and release notes.
- Improve the quality and coverage of existing technical documentation by performing technical and editorial reviews, heavily revising it for improvements in scope, format, and content. Work closely with subject matter experts, improving, enlarging, and revising existing documentation to ensure uniformity in writing style and practices, and conformity with the style guide.
- Organize material and complete writing assignments according to industry standards (topic-based, modular, DITA-based authoring) regarding information typing, reusability, and relevance.
- Collaborate with engineering teams, project leads, product managers, and business users to deliver accurate, high quality user documentation that creates a delightful user experience. This includes user documentation, product overviews, step-by-step procedures, troubleshooting information, best practices, white papers, and release notes.
- Convert existing blog-style pages from developers to DITA-compliant pages.
- Promote documentation excellence across multiple development teams
Sr. Specialist Technical Writer->> Develops written documentation, user guides, help screens and marketing materials for multifaceted and highly complex technology-based products or services. Works with systems analysts, programmers and engineers to write and edit various documented materials. Writes, edits and modifies systems documentation, user manuals, training courses, technical reports, translates technical data into well thought out, comprehensive documents. Works with user and development areas to collect and understand data and policies. Effectively translates highly complex technical procedures into easily comprehensible documentation. Employing excellent project management skills, orchestrates, coordinates large documentation projects to ensure accuracy, consistency, completeness and delivery within the specified project deadline.Provides consultative assistance, working with internal product managers, subject matter experts, and business units to determine the best materials to effectively enhance the user’s experience on the most complex products or services. Enlisting top user experience techniques, demonstrates and incorporates empathetic elements into the user documentation in a continual effort to improve and enhance the user’s overall learning experience. Contributes to the achievement of area objectives.
Bachelor’s degree in English or a related discipline, or equivalent work experience is required. Eight to ten (8-10) years of experience systems documentation is required. Experience in the securities or financial services industry is a plus.
- Exceptional English language, writing, grammar, and communication skills.
- Strong writing skills with experience in writing and maintaining documentation by following the Microsoft Manual of Style
- Significant experience with topic-based writing
- Strong team player with outstanding communication, organization, and collaboration skills
- Comfort with quickly changing priorities, in a fast-paced development environment
- Ability to learn new technologies quickly
The product teams at BlockFi encompass UX, UI, Design, and Engineering in a seamless cohesive whole. As part of that product team, you will
- Organize, develop, write, and maintain our application’s API documentation, operational guides, and HOWTOs. In short, you own the documentation lifecycle.
- Prioritize the needs of the end-users in these documents – we want them to actually *like* to use our documentation!
- Work with the rest of the team in helping build out the products / APIs so that they’re consistent to use, access, and document.
- Incorporate use cases, stories, code, and more into the documentation so that our end-users are not left wanting.
Above all, you should enjoy the journey. Our engineers are creative, technical, smart, and genuinely like each other. They enjoy the work they do, and so should you!