Here are a few sample job advertisements for this type of role…
The Technical Director will:
- Lead and manage all engineers
- Work with the Creative Director to understand and carry out the vision for the game
- Translate the game vision into an actionable technical design. Execute that technical design throughout development
- Work with the Art, Animation and Creative directors to identify and define pipelines, workflows, and tools; and manage the effort to build, test, and improve them
- Evaluate both internal and external technology solutions
- Maintain overall code quality, ensuring that code is cross-platform, reusable, and maintainable
- Manage internal and external technology dependencies and risks, and create mitigation plans for all critical path technologies
- Work with the production team to revise and validate engineering estimates and production plans
- Conduct regular code reviews to ensure quality and consistency
- Define and enforce performance metrics throughout development
- Research and propose new innovations that may benefit the project
- Provide mentorship, troubleshooting, debugging and problem-solving assistance to members of the engineering team
- Proactively identify cross-discipline challenges
- Promote a culture of open, honest, and respectful communication across all disciplines
- A minimum of 2+ shipped AAA titles with management or lead responsibilities
- Experience developing multi-platform projects
- Experience developing FPS, RPG, or Action games
- Experience with third-party technology solutions, including the Unreal Engine
- Excellent project management and time management skills
- Expert knowledge of C / C++
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
WHAT WE OFFER
People Can Fly New York offers a comprehensive range of benefits for all full-time employees including 100% company paid Medical, Dental, and Vision plans, company paid holidays and an attractive paid time off policy which includes 4 weeks of vacation. In addition, we offer Relocation Assistance, Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Pet Insurance, Flexible Savings Account Programs, Commuter Tax benefits and discounted gym memberships to keep our staff healthy and happy. People Can Fly New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Work & Co (work.co) defines and ships the world’s most successful digital products and services. In just five years, we’ve become the go-to partner for respected brands, including Apple, Target, Marriott, Lyft, Etsy, American Express, LVMH and Planned Parenthood. Fast Company notes that our engineering and design teams are routinely entrusted with creating digital product for companies which rarely approach outside firms, and Forrester Research calls ours “a model to follow.”
Technical Directors at Work & Co lead small, highly collaborative teams to create world-class digital products and experiences that people use everyday. They work closely with designers, product managers, strategists, and QA engineers to concept, prototype, and execute on a range of products. Join us as we help our clients redefine entire industries.
Work & Co’s methodology emphasizes hands-on skills across all departments and levels. Technical Directors are keen problem-solvers with the ability to interpret client business requirements to make architectural plans and decisions.
Technology Directors provide senior leadership as they structure technology solutions for clients and deliver clean, well-documented code. They bring valuable knowledge about and a passion for established best practices as well as emerging technologies. Technology Directors play an active role in developing more junior engineering talent to ensure team members continue to grow and see new challenges.
What You Can Expect to Do:
- Provide hands-on senior-level leadership on product development work
- Propose and advocate for clean, functional design systems
- Develop robust, testable scalable technical solutions, following industry-standard best practices
- Write, debug, troubleshoot and optimize code with a view to delivering the best user experience
- Guide and mentor other developers within the team
What We’re After:
- 8+ years of web development experience that includes experience with agile methodologies
- Familiarity with one or more MV* frameworks (React, Angular, Vue etc.)
- Solid grasp of HTML and CSS, and principles of Responsive Web Design
- Experiencing implementing pre/post CSS processors and/or CSS modules
- Demonstrated understanding of task runners such as Gulp / Webpack / rollup
- Experience using GIT as part of a development team
- Experience/interest in native / React Native app development
- Strong organizational skills and eye for detail
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a variety of audiences
- Bonus—Personal projects that show an passion for engineering and products
At Work & Co, we believe diversity is essential to creating the best digital products. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ethnicity, citizenship, national origin of employees, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
- Interface with the technology leaders at large, technically sophisticated BSD clients such as the Sierra Club, Starbucks, Rockefeller Foundation, the DNC, SEIU, and the DSCC to design technical solutions to help them achieve their strategic objectives
- Drive overall technical strategy for these accounts, from infrastructure to data to selection of tools and platforms
- Identify opportunities for BSD Tools enhancements or new product development, and work with Product and Tech teams to scope and implement them
- Direct the successful implementation of new projects or major additions to existing products. Serve as an architect and final decision-maker on technically complex projects
- Oversee the BSD project team to ensure on time and on budget delivery
- Serve as a technical strategist for new and existing clients on topics such as data warehousing and integration, implementing analytics-driven programs, and building robust data capture and real-time targeting into their online experience
- Work with the Business Development, Account Management, and Marketing teams to identify market opportunities for additional BSD offerings, including new tool development and strategic consulting opportunities
- Mentor Tech Leads on other projects, helping to drive and evolve tech best practices and culture at BSD
- Produce written deliverables such as high-level technical recommendations or requirements as needed
What we’re looking for
- An excellent understanding of technology needs for a wide range of BSD clients, including non-profits, advocacy groups, brands, and political campaigns.
- The ability to work with senior-level clients in a consulting role.
- The ability to work with many groups within BSD to achieve client objectives.
- First-hand experience building data-driven applications, including but not limited to data warehouses, reporting tools, and analytics-driven digital programs.
- An excellent understanding of advocacy technology in use by political and non-profit organizations.
- Extensive experience managing the definition and implementation of large and complicated technology projects.
Metrics for Success:
- On time and on budget delivery for assigned clients.
- Successful implementation of large-scale technology projects or consulting engagements measured by client satisfaction and quality of product (number of defects, warranty work required).
- Follow on revenue for assigned accounts.
- Increased sales of technology work.
- Project team satisfaction measured by 360 review.
Blue State Digital is a purpose-driven creative and tech agency. We transform how brands and causes engage their most important people. From Google to UNICEF, from Obama to MIT, from Tate Modern to Ford Motor Company, Blue State Digital helps grow communities, build platforms, and transform organizations for the digital age. Led by the most creative and analytical minds from the political, nonprofit, and brand worlds, Blue State Digital is a part of WPP Digital and has more than 200 employees in six offices around the world.
- Supervises and participates in all aspects of projects from staffing to technology/tools
- Works closely with other departments to define the technical requirements and restrictions for projects
- Provides expertise in design, programming, debugging, optimization
- Offers exceptional analysis and problem-solving skills
- Programs different game modules
- Creates, or supervises development of, the necessary tools for other teams
- Recommends solutions and approves schedules
- Manages the programming team including employee performance evaluation and code reviews
- Actively participates in recruitment
- Degree in Computer Engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent experience
- 5-10 years experience in game systems programming
- Expert knowledge of 3D programming
- 5+ years of recent experience in the video game industry on AAA, iOS and/or Android games
- Advanced experience in core engine development, networking, mobile development, gameplay, and tool development
- Shipped multiple games as Lead Developer or Lead Programmer
- Must have released at least one game on a current-generation game console
- Knowledge of the technical pipeline and all the processes needed to make a game
- Exceptional leadership, communication and team management skills
- Able to optimize code size and speed to take full advantage of the capabilities of current generation of game platforms
- Lifelong personal interest in video games with a solid knowledge of the field
- Experience with modern commercial game engines
- All qualified candidates will have a technical assessment as part of the interview process for this position
- Love of baseball, baseball games/simulations is a big plus
We truly believe we offer a unique combination of opportunities for any game developer:
- The opportunity to work with a world-class team of game developers in NYC
- The opportunity to work on award-winning and complex apps and systems
- The opportunity to have an influence on the innovation of products used globally by millions
- The opportunity to work in a highly collaborative team environment
- Amazing benefits including – 100% employer-paid Medical, Dental and Vision