Here are sample job ads for this type of role…
Resource Manager, Human Resources
The Resource Manager role is at the center of an extremely dynamic and demanding environment and will work closely with client leads, talent and finance to ensure the assignment of sufficient and suitable talent resources to projects with balanced workloads and ability to adjust assignments as client projects shift and / or new projects start, as well lead the resolution of resource conflicts across a large group stakeholders.
The Resource Manager will need to understand the complexity of how our work gets done, have a deep understanding of our talent capabilities and career goals, and possess impeccable communication and interpersonal skills. The role requires a high level of patience, diplomacy and fortitude and a strong voice in a fast-moving environment.
About the Job
- Establish strong relationships with members of assigned businesses, in addition to partnering with HR and Finance leaders and / or key vendor contacts. Host check-ins with key stakeholders to allow for real time adjustments as the business shifts.
- Help assign team members to projects that match the needs of the business, along with their skills and career aspirations, based on resource plans provided by the client/team leads.
- Build relationships with staff to better understand capabilities and aspirations to maximize assignments and engagement of staff.
- Recognize areas for opportunity or improvement amongst staff; flag for managers and HR to support continued development in both hard and soft skills. Advocate the most well-suited teams for projects.
- Ensure that the teams assigned to projects have resources needed to deliver effectively. Flag issues/gaps to appropriate leadership and help problem solve.
- Help monitor workload to ensure high client service yet efficient execution of all projects. Balance workload across internal teams and hourly/freelance staff; identify potential instances of excessive or underutilization of talent and help solve any potential issues.
- Monitor new business pipeline/pitches to proactively solve for future talent assignments; track growth and hi-potential clients and sectors to support workforce planning (development, recruitment, etc.) efforts.
- Manage freelance and hourly staff allocations and assignments in partnership with client/team leads, HR and Finance. Track freelance/hourly contacts and proactively build on a pre-existing network. Manage freelance and contract worker relationships.
- Work with functional leads to solve for out of office coverage.
- Mediate cross-functional resourcing issues / conflict resolution with functional leads and HR partners. Leverage resources across the network. Manage communications around any shifting resources.
- Stay familiar with the latest trends and work in the communications and consulting industry to apply best practices.
- Collaborate with recruiting team re: on FTE and hourly/freelance recruiting needs.
- Work with leaders to help shape resource management tools, systems and templates. Constantly strive to improve processes and workflow.
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum of 8 years relevant experience in a creative, consulting or marketing organization.
- Experience in a resource or project management role within a project-based communications, creative or consulting environment.
- Solid understanding of project lifecycle and process: able to understand complex project requirements, understand briefs, and recognize potential risks and dependencies relevant to resourcing work.
- Ability to plan ahead – regularly review, forecast and reforecast project resource needs.
- Ability to navigate high-pressure situations, identify problems + solutions, and escalate as needed.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with strong conflict resolution skills; positive by default and excels in being a problem solver and pushing past obstacles.
- Thrives in a fluid, fast-paced environment and works well under pressure.
- Expert user of spreadsheet tools and systems; strong command of MS Office.
- Demonstrated experience with resourcing and project management tools, as well as talent management systems.
As a global public relations and communications agency with 90 plus years of experience, Ketchum builds brands and reputations for clients. We start conversations, build communities and engage stakeholders—and have a lot of fun doing it. We inspire and empower our people to think about products, companies, issues and challenges in a different way. And we’re just crazy enough to think we can impact the world – and how it responds to ideas – through communication.
We believe great ideas shatter expectations, change thinking and build brands. We call this break through, and it’s our mission to deliver it. How? Very simply—our people. By listening, cultivating diverse perspectives and rewarding fearless creativity, we’ve developed a culture of break through.
What we offer
- Robust benefits program
- Generous time off policies
- Retirement program with company match
- Workplace flexibility
- Business casual dress code
- Workplace and off-site social gatherings
- Yoga @ work
- Professional learning and development opportunities
- Tuition reimbursement
- Paid maternity/paternity leave
- Transit benefits
Interested? We’ve got an opportunity for you.
Senior Resource Manager
HugeInc – New York, NY
The Senior Resource Manager is responsible for managing staffing for the Brooklyn office; including assuring the staff is busy, that the team is working on the right kinds of work, and tracking and maintaining personnel and departmental data associated with staffing. This position requires strong organizational and planning skills, decision-making within the scope of the position’s responsibilities, and the use of discretion and good judgment.
What we’d like to see:
- A genuine love for working with people and finding creative solutions to complex problems. You hold yourself to high standards when it comes to being a good team player and you understand when to lead and when to follow.
- Solid understanding of a how product design and development, marketing and strategy work is typically staffed and is executed.
- Proven track record of building strong relationships with people from a wide variety of backgrounds, especially with remote teams.
- Strong follow-through and attention to detail in an almost annoying capacity
- Proven ability to work independently in a team-oriented matrix environment
- Experience setting up, documenting and executing a resourcing process.
- Organized and able to handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Cares about the Brooklyn team and ensures that they are not only busy, but working on the kinds of things that make them excel.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information
- You have a sense of humor and default to laughter when things get tough.
Huge is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). We strongly support diversity in the workforce.
- Resource Coordination – Ensure that Theorem’s resourcing needs are organized, well documented, and visable to the entire cross-functional team.
- Internal Resource Management – Keep track of Team member availability, capabilities and preferences to suggest and negotiate to build the best engagement teams possible.
- Inform sales of team availability – be able to inform sales when a new team can start or how a team can expand.
- External Resource Management – Build, maintain and utilize a bench of individual contractors and vendors used to scale and expand the capabilities of the team.
- Collect and document resourcing needs across current Theorem Programs.
- Work with the Revenue team to understand staffing needs for upcoming projects.
- Maintain a library of availability, capabilities, and preferences about our talented fully distributed team.
- Own weekly rituals to ensure that all cross functional team members are informed of the status of their Reqs.
- Coordinate and facilitate focused conversations around particular projects to understand and fulfill the best aligned resources.
- Maintain a team member rotation schedule along with Practice Area Managers.
- Maintain key metrics on resourcing efficiency.
- You have experience of working and leading in a consultative, agile capacity.
- You have experience leading or contributing to resource management, staffing, and workforce planning.
- You can manage through complexity, lead with influence, make hard decisions, and persevere when things are less than ideal.
- You have owned resource process generation and have documented it.
- You can define and measure success metrics.
- Remote work
- Own your schedule
- Sponsored professional training & online classes
- Paid vacation
- Healthy lifestyles support through our physical fitness benefits program
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, and life insurance plans
- 401k plan
- Consult on staff plans and SOWs with Project Management and Creative Leadership
- Ensure incoming projects have all the elements necessary for creative success
- Allocate creative resources across all healthcare brands
- Track utilization against client scope of work and staff plans
- Rotate and deploy resources strategically based on changing day-to-day client needs
- Manage and track PTO for healthcare creative group, and source coverage as needed
- Help develop and maintain a skills matrix for the healthcare creative group
- Attend weekly project status meetings with PMs
- Keep Director of Resources, Executive Director of Creative Talent, and Creative leadership up to date regarding resourcing flags
- Advocate on behalf of the creative dept, the work, and the process
- Work consistently to improve creative operation inefficiencies, and to seek out solutions to any resource challenge that interferes with developing Famously Effective work for our clients
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing Communications (ideal), BA or Equivalent
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Adept in learning new systems and software (Smartsheet, Tempus experience a plus)
- Strong organizational skills, resourceful, and the able to handle a multitude of tasks simultaneously
- Passionate about the creative process
- Problem-solver, consistently finds creative and efficient solutions to resourcing challenges
- Understands creative skill sets (art, design, copy, digital) and how to maximize them to deliver the best creative outcome
- Strong communication (both written and verbal), and comfortable engaging in conversations with employees at all levels