Here is a sample job advertisement for this type of role…
Casper (casper.com) is a global sleep company that launched in 2014 with an obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress sold directly to consumers. Its critically acclaimed sleep surface was developed in-house, has a sleek design, and is delivered in a small, “how did they do that?”-sized box. The company is one of the fastest-growing consumer brands of all time, and its product line has expanded to include sheets, pillows, a matching foundation, and a dog mattress. Casper was named one of Fast Company’s 50 Most Innovative Companies in 2017, and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine’s Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Own and lead the design of the Casper online experience along with a small team of designers.
- Set direction for the site experience in collaboration with the digital product team and work independently toward quarterly goals.
- Demonstrate and model beautiful, functional visual and interaction design, typography, and hierarchy for our core website and other digital touchpoints in the Casper ecosystem.
- Continuously develop the Casper design language system to simplify our development process and express the Casper Brand.
- Partner with the broader online and offline Experience team to define longer term experience goals and a roadmap for implementation, being strategic about how we want to roll something out – from ‘minimum viable” to “minimum delightful” to the full experience.
- Use foresight to uncover interdependencies, trade-offs and risks in long term workstreams – making them visible and collaborating to resolve challenges early.
- Closely collaborate with our Brand Creative team to craft compelling stories onsite through copy, video, animation, illustration and photography. Have the vision to know where and when they are best employed.
- Elegantly architect complex end-to-end flows and cross platform experiences for all user scenarios and profiles.
- Synthesize product and business goals into user-centric design solutions across multiple products and experiences. Work with designers to generate prototypes and mockups of experiences to envision what near and longer-term versions could be.
- Define and iterate on how the Casper brand should be expressed across various digital touchpoints.
- Support processes to enable continuous integration of research and testing into the design process.
- Work across teams to ensure we are utilizing both qualitative and quantitative insights in our design process and are clear about how they influence design decisions.
- Provide thought partnership to product managers, engineers and researchers to solve complex problems, find compromises and plan effectively.
- Model design ambition and advocate for digital design, challenging established norms where appropriate.
- Contribute to creating a challenging and supportive creative culture.
- Commit to continually learning, training, and improving yourself and others technical and adaptive skills.
- Mentor fellow designers, encourage taking appropriate risks, providing support, suggestions, critique and feedback.
Our dream candidate is…
- Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience) in a design discipline related to: interaction, information architecture, user interface, UX, graphic design.
- 10+ years working in consulting and/or in-house design or product team.
- Experience leading designers, projects and process spanning insights, ideation and validation through to design implementation.
- Extensive experience with a variety of approaches to problem solving and product development.
- Passion for brand, and brand expression.
- Meticulous attention to detail applied to everything from strategic and creative direction through to usability and aesthetics.
- Extensive experience of shipping products that exist and are loved in the world.
- Extensive experience iterating on products and services in market.
- Flexible, adaptable, able to work in an entrepreneurial environment.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Experience working across web, IOS and Android.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal, written, visual).
- Expert in: Sketch, Adobe Suite, Invision and other prototyping tools.
- Solid knowledge of HTML/CSS, IOS and Android semantics.
The syrup on your waffles
- Salary to pay your bills, a potential bonus for some splurging, and equity so that you’re part of the Casper family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles…).
- 401K program so you can still spend money later in life.
- Extra cash incentives for being healthy and fit (we actually give you money to track your sleep!).
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- Bi-weekly catered lunches to catch up with your teammates.
- Free snacks and coffee, including a huge breakfast selection (10 types of cereal anyone?)
- Nap pods, for those days when you stayed out a little too late…
- A full gifted bed set when you join (mattress, sheets, pillows, the works)!
If you dream about this stuff this job is probably right for you. We look forward to learning more about you, but if you’re feeling sleepy, take a nap before applying.
Blink Health ( https://www.blinkhealth.com/ ) is a well-funded healthcare technology company on a mission to make prescription drugs more accessible and affordable for everyone. We’re scaling up in a highly complex vertical to change the way Americans access the prescription drugs they need.
Our proprietary platform and supply chain allows us to offer everyone — whether they have insurance or not — amazingly inexpensive prices on over 15,000 medications. With the addition of telemedicine and home delivery for prescriptions ( https://www.blinkhealth.com/about-home-delivery ), Blink is providing a life-changing experience for people all over the country and fixing how opaque, unfair and overpriced healthcare has become. We are a highly collaborative team of builders and operators who invent new ways of working in an industry that historically has resisted innovation. Join us!
We are growing and are looking for a design leader to manage our design team and realize our vision of helping to fix healthcare. In a standard week you will give feedback in design critiques, coach your team through challenges, make strategic decisions with your peers in Product and Engineering, and interview and sell applicants to join our team. Your key focus will be ensuring that the team is solving the right problems with the best design solutions. This will require guiding your team through complex problem spaces on the journey to finding simple solutions.
- You have 7+ years of hands-on professional experience as a UX Designer and are still an amazing designer with a portfolio that is super inspiring. You have a rock solid understanding of the user-centered design process, and a further 3+ years of experience leading and managing a design team.
- Experienced: You have substantial experience working across the end-to-end design process, with a particular strength in Information Architecture, UX, service design and UI. You have a passion and strong knack for thinking through the entire customer experience.
- Collaborative and Communicative: You are a great storyteller and communicator, able to speak fluently to product managers, designers, engineers, senior leadership and other key partners. You know how to work in a team environment to deliver on customer and business value
- User Research: You understand how to define what user research needs to be done. You work collaboratively and effectively with User Researchers but are scrappy enough to do your own User Research when necessary. You know how to take research findings and leverage them appropriately in service of building our best in class solutions that are simple and easy to use.
Why Join Us:
At Blink, we put humans first. We want everyone at Blink to be able to do the best work of their lives. We are a relentlessly learning, constantly curious and aggressively collaborative cross-functional team dedicated to inventing new ways to improve the lives of our customers.
( https://www.blinkhealth.com/ )Blink Pharmacy App for Android
( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.blinkhealth.blinkandroid&hl=en_US )Blink Pharmacy App for iOS ( https://apps.apple.com/us/app/blink-health-lowest-rx-prices/id998560520 )
The Director of Product Design’s primary responsibility is to lead all phases of the discovery and design process including workshop facilitation, persona development, journey mapping, concept design, user task/interaction diagrams, information architecture, prototype wireframes. This role will report to the Head of Kinship Labs, and work with all members of the labs across product, growth engineering and our portfolio companies.
HOW YOU’LL CREATE A BETTER WORLD FOR PETS
- Create end-to-end customer experience for our prototypes, POCs or pilot startup concepts in collaboration with our product, growth and engineering team. This will functionally span everything from sketching initial ideas for digital user experience flows, to creating production-ready graphic designs for mobile app, website and in-person experiences.
- Lead workshops as the resident design-thinking expert and master of enabling new ideas and perspectives to emerge and develop.
- Conduct qualitative and quantitative user research, interviews, usability testing, and other research methods and data analysis techniques to make informed recommendations for UX/UI
- Create wireframes, flows, comps, prototypes, and production assets to effectively communicate interaction and design work and validate ideas
- Develop and establish the strategy, frameworks, tools and tactics that can be leveraged across all of the Kinship Labs portfolios.
- Work closely product, growth and engineering teams to translate the product vision into an actionable product strategy, roadmap and opportunity backlog
- Continuously refine and optimize UX experience in partnership with product, growth and engineering team to create product / market fit with the goal to exceeding target metrics (conversion, retention, engagement and more)
- Study trends, exploring new interaction models & technology and imagining the future will be a recurring activity as part of our visioning exercises.
- Facilitation and key contributor in idea sourcing, concept development and prioritization of those new ideas
WHO WE NEED TO CHART THE FUTURE OF PET CARE
We strive to hire people who are passionate about our mission: creating a better world for pets. For all of our Kinship roles, we look for candidates who exemplify our attributes through consistent behaviors. We believe what we do is just as important as how we do it, and we aim to hire people who are: Optimistic. Those who’s boundlessly energy and enthusiasm for what’s next shines through in everything they do. We seek to work with people who are intrinsically happy, and who will drive our vision and purpose while managing the complexities of our businesses.
Purposefully Inquisitive. Those who are courageous and use their deep business insights to cultivate innovation. We want the trailblazers in tech. Those who are entrepreneurs at heart, ask the tough questions, adapt quickly to new situations, and analyze data in new ways to push our big ideas forward.
Open to All. Those who are inclusive leaders, committed to learning, and leveraging our differences as strengths. We hire people who are naturally collaborative and thrive in a flat and flexible organization. Those who are thoughtful communicators, and seek to foster meaningful relationships across our community of diverse partners.
And for this role, we hope you have the following skills we require to round out our team:
- 7+ years of UX design experience in a growth startup environment across B2C and B2B business models with mobile, web and in-person consumer journeys
- 7+ years of experience with digital product design (visual and interaction)
- 3+ years of empathy-based customer / user research experience
- 2+ years experience creating new business ventures or launching new products
- Data-driven and metrics focused; gathering user research and analytics to inform your designs and approach, working cross-functionally to reach target goals and vision
- Comfortable working from inception through execution (brainstorming, sketching, mapping, wireframing, prototyping, designing, user flows, paring or even coding, AB Testing)
- Simple and refined design aesthetic and sensibility – with considerations to usability, simplicity, and consistency – and can design to specific consumer and brand needs
- Fluent with design tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch, InVision, Axure, Framer, etc.
- Experience with user testing and research tools
- Honest and humble and can give and take critique productively
- Can communicate design approaches to product managers, software engineers and other stakeholders
- Passion to create new, unique, game-changing experiences in the petcare space
If you also had these experiences, you’d knock it out of the dog park:
If you feel like this could be your next challenge, apply below!