Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
Position Purpose: Plan, organize, direct and control day to day operations to achieve department and plan objectives while following applicable safety, process and procedural standards.
1. Establish the plant’s strategic goals and objectives and ensure alignment with the business team.
2. Focus and drive the management team to innovative solutions to productivity gains, waste reduction (yield optimization) and minimization of overhead costs.
3. Actively pursue benchmarking to set new standards for safety, quality, productivity, service and costs using competitive knowledge and industry information.
4. Sets and maintains high safety standards ensuring proper accountabilities and implementing processes to eliminate unsafe work practices. Ensure compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act, Regulations, and the Company health and safety roles and responsibilities.
5. Develop and implement new business strategies for creating or improving processes and procedures to improve plant performance.
6. Meet regularly with department heads/business unit leaders; facilitate resolution of issues/problems between business units and/or departments.
7. Responsible for appropriate staff levels to meet requirements of the facility.
8. Responsible for the effective recruitment, hiring, terminations and performance management at the plant.
9. Maintain positive employee relations at the facility.
10. Enable teamwork and collaboration through information sharing meetings with all departments.
11. Support and develop policies, procedures and systems to meet the goals of the Company such as the Intertape Performance System, lean manufacturing philosophies and the ISO Quality System.
12. Review and approve plans for the control of planned output, budget spending, material efficiency, waste, engineering effectiveness and human resources.
13. Budget preparation and monitoring of P&L.
14. Monitor financial performance to ensure the plant is meeting or exceeding budgetary commitment.
15. Analyze and report on the plant’s daily, monthly and annual key performance indicators and industry trends.
16. Develop and implement strategies around improving the financial performance of the departments.
17. Handle customer enquiries and complaints which are escalated from the departments.
18. Analyze the customer’s concern and present options to solve the issue.
19. Review and use the monthly profit and loss statements to ensure expense control and proactively plan production goals.
20. Examine reports (e.g., inventory, production and daily reports) to determine the operational activities of the Company and ensure optimum performance.
21. Ensure that all reporting employees adhere to Company policies and procedures.
22. Perform other duties as required.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Commerce, Management, Industrial Technology or Engineering.
- Master’s degree in Operations Management would be an asset.
- 5 or more years’ previous management experience in a manufacturing environment with proven leadership abilities.
- Management experience in union environment preferred.
- Experience with self-directed work teams or high level of employee involvement.
- Experience with lean manufacturing principles and implementing a lean culture.
- Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on plant and business processes.
- Able to identify key issues; creatively and strategically overcome internal challenges or obstacles.
- A clear and solid understanding of personnel policies, practices, procedures and other operational issues faced by the organization.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Excellent computer skills using Microsoft Office Suite.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $140,000.00 /year
- supervisory: 5 years (Required)
- operations management: 5 years (Required)
- Bachelor’s (Required)
- Are you able to interview via video?
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks – learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)
- A job for which people with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Manages day-to-day operations of plant performance, product and packing quality, inventory control, cost, productivity, distribution, food and employee safety
- Ensures ongoing facility compliance with company quality, sanitation, and Food Safety standards
- Implements and maintains standardized procedures and protocols for staff training and management, inventory distribution and logistics; sanitation, overall safety of the facility and its personnel, and compliance to the Food Safety Plan
- Oversees Greenhouse Supervisor, Pack House Supervisor, Distribution Supervisor and Production Assistants
- Works closely with Logistics Manager to support Logistics Specialist in supervision of drivers
- Collaborates with Senior Grower to operate a productive and cost-effective Greenhouse facility, organizes shift schedules with Senior Grower and coordinates purchasing
- Partners with the Facilities Manager to identify structural and maintenance related areas of concern, arranges repairs, and negotiates relates costs. Ensures resolutions occur timely
- Evaluates current procedures and practices for accomplishing department objectives; develops and implements improved procedures and practices
- Gives work direction, resolves problems, and sets deadlines to ensure timely completion of daily tasks
- Monitors and analyzes costs, prepares budgets and has direct oversight of the Green House P&L
- Maintains and reviews quality reports/statistics to ensure consistent, quality finished goods
- Communicates with Sales and Marketing to support continued company growth
- Promotes a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality
- Mentors and develops staff using a supportive and collaborative approach; assigns accountabilities; sets objectives; establishes priorities; and monitors and evaluates results
- Complies with established State and Federal Regulations, Environmental, OSHA, and Safety programs.
- Bachelor’s degree and 5‐8 years of relevant related experience in plant operations or manufacturing with proven success.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience to a team with diverse levels of expertise
- Entrepreneurial team player who can multitask and roll up their sleeves
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers
- Successful leadership in early‐stage start‐ups or other rapid growth environments
- Experience working with ERP systems, material handling suppliers, trucking and logistics, and contract negations.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and negotiating abilities
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills, high attention to detail; highly organized, and passionate commitment to company vision
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food and experience in specialty food, agriculture, natural and organic CPG a plus
- Strong knowledge of MS Office,
- Adjusts to changing conditions and willingness to works off-shift, holidays, and weekends as needed. Understands and complies with company policies.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills
- Reliable and highly motivated with a creative flair and lively personality
- Passionate commitment to the company vision
- Appreciation to principles of sustainable agriculture and food
The successful applicant for this position will have the following attributes: