Here are sample job advertisements for these types of roles…
Manager, International Research- Bangladesh
- Support the design and coordination of research across countries to ensure a common understanding of the needs and goals of research work and ensure a high standard of research reports
- Support evaluation work across international projects, overseeing implementation where possible; communicate with funder to ensure research is realistic and of expected quality
- Support in-country teams’ research capacity as necessary, including working closely with teams to design formative and summative studies that are timely and relevant
- Work with in-country and Sesame Workshop teams to develop Monitoring & Evaluation plans
- Ensure a high-quality standard in all research products and communicate findings in an accessible way to Sesame Workshop teams and external audiences to inform future creative, programmatic, distribution, and funding decisions
- Coordinate with Education, Production, Outreach, and Communications teams in headquarters (NYC) and co-production hubs to disseminate research findings
- Support Sesame Workshop research team with administrative tasks as needed
- 1-3+ years of experience in a Research or in a Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) role with an international organization
- Bachelors’ degree in in Education, Child Development, Educational Psychology or similar field with an international focus emphasis
- Experience collaborating on research in Bangladesh, the Middle East and/or South Asia
- Fluency in Bangla
- Experience working with and researching children and the adults who care for them
- Experience with quantitative and qualitative research methods, and ability to leverage both to communicate program impact
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office and internet navigation
- Excellent organizational skills, including keen attention to detail and the ability to manage time effectively, track and follow-up on various tasks, and multi-task
- Excellent communication and relationship management skills
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural settings
- Ability to travel to Bangladesh and other countries for project related work
- Command of statistics and experience with statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, R)
Sesame Workshop has been awarded a $100 million grant from the LEGO Foundation to support a new early childhood development initiative for millions of children affected by the Rohingya and Syrian refugee crises. The 5-year program will leverage the power of learning through play, providing communities affected by refugee crises access to vital early learning opportunities. Together with BRAC and the IRC, we will reach displaced and host community children and their caregivers in Bangladesh and the Syrian response region through direct services and mass media programming. The program will also include robust research and advocacy components aimed at identifying best practices for play-based learning in humanitarian response and encouraging sustainable investment in early childhood development.
Global M&E Director/Deputy Director
We are seeking a dynamic research and evaluation leader with strong quantitative and qualitative research skills, and proven ability to develop staff and to communicate results effectively. The Global Monitoring and Evaluation Director will lead all M&E functions in the organization and be a key member of organizational leadership. The M&E team has a presence in all countries of operation and employs a full time staff of data collectors.
The M&E department at One Acre Fund is really akin to an in-house research and evaluation firm, and conducts rigorous evaluations and analyses which greatly inform internal decision-making as it’s #1 priority. The goals of the M&E department are both to prove and improve program impact, and One Acre Fund has a culture of highly respecting data analysis and pivoting program activities in response to new evidence. This is a unique environment in which to lead and manage M&E activities, with a true influence on program strategy.
The Overarching Goals Of This Role Are To
- Develop and continue to professionalize M&E staff at all levels to set the standard for excellence in rural data collection.
- Ensure that M&E data and results continue to inform program strategy by working with program leadership to understand and devise strategies to implement results which maximize program impact.
- Continue to deepen One Acre Fund evidence base including periodic experimental studies of our primary program impact on farmer profit as well as building evidence-based of secondary impacts on farmer quality of life.
- Ensure that One Acre Fund’s newly evolving work in the areas of agro-forestry and nutrition evaluation work have a strong evidence base and make pivotal contributions to some of the fastest growing organizational programs.
- Ensure the continuation of the highest quality of data collection and highest rigor of analysis that One Acre Fund has come to be associated with.
- Oversee the analysis and recommendations which inform that ability of organizational leaders to choose among multiple investments.
- Liaise with partners and donors to ensure that M&E data and analysis is responsive to their requests and requirements.
- Internally support adjacent departments (e.g. the Agricultural Research Team, The Field Operations team and the Product Innovations Department).
Setting Vision & Strategy
- Work with senior leaders to collaboratively set and execute on long-term vision for all M&E functions, under the “Impact” umbrella
- Build and reinforce Department culture of excellence and responsiveness.
- Build and maintain strong collaborative working relationships across several global departments, and amongst key leaders in all countries
- Identify and execute on key areas of strategic innovation
- Manage the day-to-day work of manager director-level staff, overseeing a total staff of over a dozen M&E leaders.
- Organize and conduct periodic skills-building and best practice workshops.
- Ensure that the team has continual opportunity for upward growth in the organization and increasing scope of responsibility
- Build a collaborative, positive and inclusive team culture, bridging the geographic distance among team members.
Executing on Key Organizational Initiatives: Deliver results on key organizational initiatives related to all aspects of HR and talent management, including working with our outstanding team of department directors in the following areas:
- Routinize and standardize – ensure the highest level of quality as we move to a regional M&E manager structure
- Ensure that the growing body of nutrition work has a strong and well-executed evaluation strategy
- Build on the organization’s understating of the program impact on farmers’ overall quality of life
- Support the organization’s strategy to rigorously evaluate our growing tree program, including leading an RCT to quantify long-term impact.
- Grow efficiently – put in place strategy to ensure that the high volume and rigorous data collection undertaken by the organization is conducted in an economically efficient manner.
- Serve as the global voice for all M&E-related issues, to the organization and top leadership
- Develop white papers and copy for our Website on M&E topics.
- Liaise with partners and donors who seek to understand our M&E strategy and results.
- Represent One Acre Fund at occasional conferences and strategic meetings.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
We are seeking exceptional candidates with 7-10+ years work experience in the evaluation field, preferably in a developing country context and preferably in programs which address rural livelihoods. Candidates who fit the following criteria are strongly encouraged to apply:
- Masters degree required, PhD a plus
- Proven ability to manage teams and develop leaders; experience in remote management a plus
- Proficiency in STATA and strong quantitative and qualitative research skills
- Experience overseeing data collection in rural areas
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong data and analytical skills
- Experience working in a multi-cultural workplace in a developing country, ideally in East Africa
- Creativity and strong problem-solving skills
- We are looking for passionate professionals who combine strong leadership skills with patience and a humble approach to service
- Language: Fluent English required. Swahili, Kinyarwanda and/or French a plus.
Monitoring And Evaluation Officer
Reporting to: Senior Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation
Key duties & Responsibilities.
- Support in conducting of baseline and evaluation surveys/studies for existing and upcoming programs.
- Support in capacity enhancement for the relevant program staff in the performance of monitoring activities.
- Participate in and facilitate quarterly program reviews of programs against KPIs and draft write program review reports.
- Participate in and document specific program evaluations and assessments and ensure learning is understood and disseminated to all the relevant stakeholders.
- Prepare case studies and success stories and other qualitative reporting and documentation processes on periodic basis.
- Monitor and facilitate program progress to ensure compliance with donor requirements and internal program quality indicators and thus highlight areas of insufficient compliance to the line the manager.
- Participate in field monitoring visits.
- Periodically review and advise on the development of tailor-made tools for the Monitoring and Evaluation unit.
- Supervise the data entry and management assistant/s including those on short-term contracts and full time basis under the M&E unit.
- Ensure the quality, timeliness and dissemination of data including validation of the reported data from the field. In association with the communications and media team, establish and upkeep a photo/video archive per project and use them as needed.
- Supervise the management of an effective information management system and a data base to facilitate effective managerial decision making.
- Perform any other assigned duties and responsibility by the line manager.
Desired academic & professional qualifications
- Masters in monitoring and evaluation, statistics, project planning and management or related course.
- Professional certification in monitoring and evaluation.
- Practical knowledge of using data analysis softwares such as SPSS, STATA and NVIVO will be an added advantage.
Skills/ experience required.
- Demonstrate an understanding of monitoring and evaluation for donor funded programs and especially in entrepreneurship and financial education sector.
- At least 3 years’ experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation.
- Skills and experience in setting PME systems.
- Familiarity with new trends in the M&E field preferably in the development sector.
- Skills in data base management will be an added advantage.
JED is seeking a full-time Director, Program Evaluation motivated to play a key role in our growing organization to support the expansion and evaluation of our innovative programs. The position reports to the Chief Programs and Operations Officer, will manage our full-time Data Specialist, and will be an integral part of the JED team.
- Oversee environmental scans and evaluation that contribute to the continued development of all JED programs
- Serve as lead for learning and systems management/improvement across key initiatives with a focus on JED Campus, high school programming, and direct to youth campaigns
- Design and establish benchmarks that measure the impact and effectiveness across all programs, including higher education, high school programming and direct to youth campaigns
- Evaluate and refine current data collection and benchmarking, if needed, in existing programs
- Work closely with JED Campus team to coordinate data collection and analysis; coordinate data collection with key staff members including clinical, marketing, and program teams
- Record and codify recommended practices and learnings from JED Campus; recommend and develop methods for continuous improvement of program implementation
- Assist programming team in using data, logic models, and desired outcomes to inform program design and structure
- Manage relationships with external evaluators to inform design and execute launch of third-party impact measurement
- Extract and report on relevant data for publication, and use in marketing and promotion of JED programs, grant writing and reporting, and other needs
- Work with Development department to ensure accuracy in grant reporting requirements and outcomes in Grant agreements
- Work with Development department to design the evaluation component for new grant requests
- Work with leadership to inform organizational change strategies and long-term planning by using data to support and promote mission-level work
Qualifications and Experience:
- Genuine interest in and commitment to improving the mental health and wellness of teens and young adults
- 7+ years professional experience, primarily in developing and executing evaluation systems
- Prior experience leading learning for a high-performing team, including collaborating on design, supervising workflow, managing against budget, and using data to inform decision-making
- Experience publishing research, data, and program outcomes
- Self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
- Excellent oral and written communication
- Excellent research, analytical and critical thinking abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and sustain relationships with individuals, agencies and organizations; ability to work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders
- Background in college mental health programming, substance abuse, behavioral health, adolescent development, and/or public health approaches to mental health care and suicide prevention a plus
- A master’s degree required in a related field, preferably in public health, public policy, economics, social sciences, or evaluation
Salary range: commensurate with experience
Interested candidates should email their résumé with cover letter to: email@example.com
JED is committed to creating and maintaining a diverse workplace that values teamwork, collaboration and creativity. JED is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
JED believes in providing employees with benefits to wellness and financial stability. We provide benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance plans, paid time off plus all major holidays, competitive salaries and a 403b retirement planning option.