Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
Tiger Valuation Services is looking for an experienced editor to review inventory appraisal reports created by our in-house writers and appraisers. The reports our teams write are used by banks when issuing loans to a variety of companies, including some of the nation’s largest retail chains, food distributors, and consumer-goods manufacturers. Each report provides a general overview of the Company’s operations, a summary of the available inventory, and an explanation of Tiger’s valuation.
We are looking for a talented, dynamic editor seeking a new challenge. No extensive business or financial experience is required: At Tiger, we’re looking for writers, editors, and other language professionals who can apply their skills in a whole new field – while also gaining a deep knowledge of the business world in the process.
Tiger offers competitive benefits, including a generous health plan and subsidized commute.
- Review reports for clarity, precision, and completeness
- Identify logical inconsistencies to be resolved by the appraisal team
- Oversee implementation of edits and inputs from multiple sources and ensure that any incompatible comments are resolved
- Ensure that proper grammar is used and that in-house formatting guidelines are followed.
- Oversee a team of three to four technical writers.
- Conduct daily meeting with writing team
- Develop and update template documents and training materials
- Five years professional experience in a writing-related field, including at least two years of management and editing experience
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines concurrently and adapt to changing priorities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to quickly understand and communicate new technical concepts and ideas
To apply, please email your resume, cover letter, and at least one writing sample to Ann Parker at Tiger Group. Due to the high volume of resumes we receive, we will only be contacting qualified candidates for further consideration. No phone calls please.
Thinknum Media, the world’s fastest-growing alternative-data-focused media outlet from Thinknum, is looking for a Managing Editor to join our media group. We are looking for a skilled Managing Editor to oversee our daily publishing operations. You will be reporting to the Editor in Chief and supervise writers, editors, and other staff. This will be a hands-on, in-house editorial role in our midtown Manhattan office. You’ll be part of a small-but-growing team of professional journalists and storytellers from CNBC, The Wall Street Journal, and Engadget, and will help us lead the charge into the future of business, finance, technology, and world-trend storytelling.
Thinknum is a venture-backed alternative data software startup.
Thinknum creates datasets from a broad array of public online sources, capturing ephemeral information on the products, operating markets and labor markets of 400,000+ global companies across sectors, and provides rich toolsets for extracting intelligence.
Thinknum has over 150 clients across major corporations and investment firms.
- Plan and manage all daily publishing operations
- Control schedules and enforce deadlines (for writers, photographers, designers etc.)
- Coach and supervise personnel
- Own and enforce editorial calendar
- Coordinate editorial publications and meetings
- Plan and approve assignments for writers and editors
- Oversee proofreading procedures and edit copy when necessary
- Assist in evaluating finalized copy for compliance with policies, style and tone
- Resolve issues as they arise
- Exceptional ability in copywriting and editing
- Abilities in planning and coordinating people and operations
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Outstanding communication and people abilities
- Reliability and efficiency
- Attention to detail
- BSc/BA in journalism or relevant field
In just two years, NYT Audio has pioneered a new form for daily news. Now we’re asking: What’s the next way we can innovate in the world of shows? We’re looking for a creative, dynamic leader who is excited to help us answer that question.
The Managing Editor, Shows will help shape the vision for NYT shows and bring those shows into the world. They will be cultivating relationships with editors and reporters across the newsroom, looking for new ideas and collaborators, piloting the most exciting opportunities, and bringing the very best of those to life. Once a show is live, the Managing Editor will be responsible for the editorial direction of the show and building out the team that runs it day to day. Then they’ll go scout and pilot the next great thing.
The Managing Editor is both a manager and a maker — they know what it takes to staff a show and how to supervise teams of producers and editors. At the same time, they will be a creative, hands-on leader of new and existing shows, with an ability to guide and edit programming from conception to completion. They must have an eye for talent and a gift for coaching reporters to get what they need in a studio recording.
They will be a member of the leadership team for NYT Audio and will work closely with other producers and editors on the leadership team in defining the larger editorial vision and programming strategy of the team. They should also be fairly autonomous and able to move projects forward without much supervision.
The Managing Editor of Shows is helping to build and grow a new department within NYT Audio. The right candidate will be excited by that opportunity and comfortable with the culture that comes with working in an enterprising, dynamic environment.
Leading new show development, in collaboration with team leadership
Advising on staffing and budget required to pilot and sustain these shows
Meeting realistic but ambitious goals for number of shows to pilot and launch each year, and communicating regularly with team leadership about progress and hurdles
Developing promising NYT journalists into podcast talent and turning their stories into fully-baked podcast ideas, for an ongoing show or a limited-run series
Make staffing recommendations to build a diverse and talented team of producers and editors
Shaping direction for shows, including current ones (aside from The Daily), in collaboration with team leadership
At least 7 years experience in audio production
Experience building and managing a team or organization
Proven ability to foster an inclusive, diverse, and innovative environment
An innovator at heart, and also able to uphold the existing editorial standards of The Times
Has a track record of making ambitious new audio shows or series and a passion for podcasts and new forms of storytelling
Creative ideas about how to make smart audio shows that will get listeners hooked
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Comfort assembling a session in Pro Tools is a plus
Collaborative spirit is a must
At Insider Inc. our motto is “get better every day.” An AME is crucial in helping us achieve this goal. An AME is someone who is excited to bring new talent into the newsroom and help reporters grow and learn in their careers. We’re looking for someone who is an excellent communicator, is organized, and has endless enthusiasm for digital journalism.
Some responsibilities will include:
- Posting jobs and screening job applications for the service team
- On-boarding new service team hires and helping familiarize them with what we do
- Setting up skill-building seminars and series across the service newsroom
- Being the eyes and ears of the service team, tasked with making Insider Inc. a great place to work.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Impeccable communication and organization skills
- At least a year of professional experience in a digital newsroom
- Some experience with recruiting and hiring
- Comfort with managing and advising staff
This is a full-time position based in our New York office. Insider Inc. offers competitive compensation packages with complete benefits.
Insider Inc. is the global digital media organization behind Business Insider, Insider, and an ever-growing family of brands. Insider Inc. tells stories that command attention and inspire action. Insider Inc. equips a curious and action-oriented audience of more than 350 million with the information and inspiration they need to keep the world, and their lives, moving forward. The company started by building the world’s largest digital business news site and has continued to grow and evolve to match the changing passions and interests of its audience. Insider Inc. is home to 50+ content verticals, and we publish 16 global editions in 8 languages.
Please apply here with your resume and a cover letter explaining why you want to be our new assistant managing editor.