There’s a wide range of Insights & Analytics roles, and here are some sample job advertisements…
Analytics & Insights Manager
Kickstarter is looking for an experienced Analytics & Insights Manager to build and manage our growing team of analysts and data scientists, leading our analysis and product insights efforts.
On a daily basis, you’ll work with your team to monitor platform usage, investigate trends, and collaborate with colleagues across Kickstarter to ask the right questions about our products. Throughout this, you will ensure Kickstarter’s high standards of excellence through rigorous skepticism, creative problem solving, and experimentation. Long term, you’ll help Kickstarter utilize data for product development, research and analysis, and hypothesis testing. The team (and company) is small and your work will be relatively hands-on: ideally you have experience doing primary research or shipping production code.
About the Team
Kickstarter’s Insights team is a collaborative group of people who are passionate about using data and research to help bring creative projects to life. Our team’s mission is to provide the organization with robust information, analyses and insight to inform and assess Kickstarter’s strategic objectives. Our team’s objectives include:
- Democratizing data access across the organization and providing tools and training to support data-informed decisions;
- Acquiring and synthesizing all relevant information about our ecosystem, our competitors, the creative landscape, and our users, to provide high quality strategic advice to decision makers at all levels of the organization;
- Raising the quality of data in our system, including improving our data infrastructure and modeling, and utilizing a variety of research methodologies to understand our users and their experiences.
To achieve this we will seek to use the most up to date data, analytical techniques, and appropriate technologies. We collaborate with teams across the organization to provide colleagues with reliable and actionable information through research, reporting, dashboards, and analytics. We value peer feedback, continuous learning, and blameless post-mortems. We prefer proven technology and have built most of our data infrastructure on AWS, but we also care about finding the right tools for the job, so we invest in cutting-edge technology when it’s a good fit.
About the Role
Your job will be to build and lead an internal insights practice, focused on analyzing data and helping teams across the organization build an in depth knowledge of trends and performance in the Kickstarter ecosystem. This will include using data to understand product usage, cultural & community insights, and market research across Kickstarter, Drip & The Creative Independent.
Additionally, you’ll develop hypotheses and carry out tests to prove (or disprove!) them in conjunction with product managers, designers, and engineers. This primarily means constructing, deploying, and analyzing A/B tests, but could also include surveys, competitive intelligence, and other forms of research.
Long term, you’ll cultivate a nuanced understanding of the Kickstarter product and lead open-ended research to discover the most impactful features for our product teams to build. Your insights and wisdom will be essential to how Kickstarter evolves, and your expertise will guide us as we learn new things every step of the way.
Your background should include experience using your data analysis skills day to day as well as a healthy understanding of the product development lifecycle. Ideally you’re adept at using statistics to separate signal from noise, but you’re also completely at ease communicating the story behind the data.
- You have a deep experience with product analytics, data, research and a strong ability to turn rough question sand raw numbers into actionable insights.
- You have led a team of analysts, researchers, data scientists or similar.
- You have a proven track record of data-driven product research and development.
- You have demonstrable experience with SQL, statistics, and BI tools (we use Looker).
- You have excellent scientific reasoning and problem-solving skills.
- You have experience running large A/B tests and other web-scale experiments.
- You are familiar with market research, user testing, and competitive intelligence best-practices.
- You have a deep interest and passion for Kickstarter’s mission to help people bring their creative projects to life, and the product opportunities and challenges that come along with it.
Kickstarter is an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to fight for equality, we work to ensure a fair and consistent interview process. We celebrate diversity and we are committed to an inclusive work environment.
Head of Analytics & Insights
- Define the data services roadmap for AIO, first for CRM campaign, and then expanding into paid media managed services
- Own and be a voice of AIO’s point of view on the “art of the possible” regarding data driven insights across the CRM campaign and paid media management services land scape
- Work closely with global/regional strategy and offering leaders to define the data/insights services of AIO and to ultimately inform and shape the data management roadmap for SynOps
- Own, manage and execute against the data management components of the SynOps for Marketing roadmap
- Define “how” leading activation and brand consumer experiences can be powered by artificial intelligence, predictive analytics, robotics, etc. to create differentiated and insightful experiences for our clients (and even Accenture service delivery employees as end users of SynOps for Marketing)
- Collaborate closely with the data platform lead and other Accenture data management architects to evaluate 3rd party providers to select technology components to power the AIO data & insights operating system (including defining the role of AIO technology enablement vs. the role of data management in the customers technology landscape)
- Develop (teaming with others) proof of concepts to demonstrate the market viability of new data driven capabilities
- Work closely with Digital’s applied intelligence team and the Operations Analytics as a Service team to define future state services delivery models for both descriptive and advanced analytics
- Collaborate with marketing (sales enablement) to develop collateral that positions the data management and insights components of SynOps for Marketing in a differentiated manner in the market
- Develop and maintain key partnerships and commercial structures with select ecosystems partners (technology component providers) that will enable the data management/process/exploration/visualization components of the SynOps for Marketing operating system
- Work with the solutioning community to ensure that cost recovery mechanisms are defined and in place for all aspects of AIO’s data & insights enabling capabilities (both technology and teams)
- Support the annual MD&I and Load planning process and ongoing budget management requests
- BS/BA Degree
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing teams of 3+ people
- Minimum of 5 years experience specific to market data analysis, financial analysis, predictive modeling techniques, and competitive analysis
- Minimum of 5 years of experience specific to data, analytics, and insights in the marketing/advertising functional area (or a demonstrated history of rapid learning to adapt historical experiences to new domain area)
- 2-3 years of working with or managing teams working with advanced data management, data processing, and data science related exploration of data to create insights that drive business decisioning
- Ability to meet travel requirements, 25-30% when applicable
- Track record of success in building and managing a technically oriented process, teams
- Experience managing budgets and cost management
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to communicate with customers in a clear and straightforward manner
- Ability to work collaboratively, in a matrix environment independently and multi-task
- Proven ability to build, manage and foster a team-oriented environment
- Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment
- Desire to work in an information systems environment
- Demonstrated ability to engage in self-directed learning activities, with an interest in continually developing and improving skills and knowledge
- Excellent communication (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
- Proficiency in Access, PowerPoint, and Word
Director, Insights & Analytics
- Develops scope of work
- Responsible for evaluating clients’ spending budget and ensuring maximum allocation efficiency
- Ensures all necessary agreements and paperwork are in place for all client projects
- Requests billing codes from finance and distributes to team
- Audits estimates vs. actual hours on all client projects to ensure that all projects are being serviced at the same level they are being billed
- Identifies new business opportunities within client base
- Participates in the preparation and delivery of new business pitches/ proposals
- Works through sales process until close
- Ensures that clients’ success metrics are attainable before taking on new business opportunities
- Understands clients’ evolving business goals
- Brings together necessary resources for strategy and goal establishment
- Leads strategy development and builds out tactical plans to support strategies
- Oversees implementation of project strategies by team members
- Ongoing review of client goals, strategy and metrics of success
- Participates in Agency or Direct client strategy success stories and challenges; share knowledge forum
- Demonstrates appropriate time management skills to include self-initiation and completion of projects on time
- Resolves project conflicts
- Manages the internal team and effectively fosters teamwork and drives motivation
- Participates in the development, mentoring and retention of staff members under their management
- Actively contributes to company initiatives, processes and roll-outs
- Shares learnings with team and discuss potential impact on client programs
- Masters knowledge of clients’ business, competition and latest industry news and trends
- Provides input for Manager, Specialist and Strategist performance reviews
- Responsible for scope and change management
- Leads client relationships and manages the overall relationship
- Works with clients to uncover business needs, identifies areas of opportunity to increase project growth
- Organizes and leads in-person client meetings and conference calls, while incorporating staff where needed
- Creates and delivers presentations and decks that specifically address client and agency expectations
- Negotiates and resolves client, agency, and vendor conflicts
- Deliver project analysis and strategy recommendations per project
- Establish project metrics and KPIs
- Works with Managers to develops project plan, deliverable timeline and ensure the team is delivering on schedule
- Create structure for reporting and presentations to be delivered to clients
- Reviews report, provides additional analysis and recommendations and submits to client for review
- Project performance troubleshooting
- Develop project timelines and deliverable schedules
- Manage project progress, concerns about deliverables, issues, etc.
- Establish econometric base models using regression analysis, multivariate analysis, Bayesian shrinkage, and forecasting models, Bayesian networks, statistical mapping
- Use SAS, SPSS, or SQL for data manipulation, analysis, modeling, and reporting
- Produce visuals (charts, graphs) and presentations for summary trend statistics using dashboard simulation tools (LIVE, Omniscope)
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or Advanced degree preferred
- 8+ years related work experience
- Experience in managing and mentoring team members
- Client relationship management expertise
- Decision making capabilities
- Solid background in processing and analyzing information using statistical and econometric modeling
- Primary research with digital and traditional experience
- Experience in analyzing partnerships and branded entertainment is a plus
- Strong analytical skills; ability to analyze raw data, draw conclusions, and develop actionable recommendations
- Experience in gathering insights from data, and making informed decisions
- Understanding of industry research sources, such as Nielsen/IRI sales data or TV/online advertising data
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- SPSS and SAS as well as Database tools (Access, Oracle, SQL) experience is highly preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of metrics: Media (e.g. buying models, CPV, VCR, GRP), Measurement analytics, Quantitative business measures (LTV, NPV, ROI, Churn, etc.), Statistics (Correlations, sample sizing, etc)
- Excellent problem-solving, quantitative and analytical skills
- Knowledge of visual techniques for data analysis and presentation
- Capability to handle multiple projects and meet tight deadlines
- High attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills and team player
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and take initiative on assigned tasks
Consultant, Insights + Analytics
- Using data efficiently to drive actionable insights
- Presenting information in a manner that is both easy for a lay-person to understand as well as statistically sound
- Work closely with media planning teams to measure the effectiveness of digital media campaign performance
- Manage extraction of data sets from multiple marketing/database platforms and perform hygiene and quality control steps. Data sources will include: web analytic tools, media analytics, customer databases, social listening tools, search tools, syndicated data, research & survey tools, etc.
- Ability to work independently to mine marketing database to uncover actionable insights and help tell the story of what is driving performance
- Assist senior analytics staff with various analytic projects including testing, advanced analysis, primary research, and digital attribution modeling
- Generate insightful visualizations and performance dashboards to depict data
- Retrieve raw research data compiled from 3rd party media tools (competitive spend, audience sizing) and synthesize it into usable forms for media team usage
- Serve as the main contact point for the majority of internal requests from the media and search teams
- Direct media planning teams in the analysis of digital and direct response campaigns to uncover patterns and establish practical insights
- Oversee development of analytical plans including proper selection of methodologies, techniques, KPIs and metrics.
- Pro-actively identifies new opportunities and offers solutions to move forward
- Serve as thought leader internally and with clients writing POV’s on industry trends, new technologies in the analytics area
- Establish strong relationships with advertising research community
- 3-5 years experience in an analytical role
- Online marketing and media experience/background
- Experience with other data manipulation and visualization tools including: SAS, SQL, Tableau, SPSS
- Digital Media experience/background preferred
- Experience with ad servers (Doubleclick) and web analytics platforms
- Knowledge of media planning tools including MRI, Netratings, Comscore, Stradegy, Nielsen Monitor+
- Knowledge and applied experience in integrated, multi-channel marketing/advertising campaign tactics – including off-line and online/digital channels. Demonstrated project, and client management expertise
- Ability to manage time effectively to set and meet client deadlines across multiple projects simultaneously
- Must be a team player with experience working on a cross-functional team
- Competency in analytics techniques such as: time series data analysis, segmentation, univariate & multivariate statistical analysis, various metrics and key performance indicators, research & test design, and significance testing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (including presentation skills)
- Supervisory and client-facing experience
VP, Member Insight & Analytics
CLEAR transforms what is uniquely you – your fingerprints, your face, your eyes – into a secure, biometric key to frictionless experiences. We are creating a world where travel is effortless, where accessing your office building is as simple as walking in, and where shopping is as easy as walking in and out of a store—without ever once showing an ID or credit card. CLEAR currently powers secure, frictionless customer experiences in nearly 40 U.S. airports and venues. With over 2 million members so far, CLEAR is the identity platform of the future, today.
We’re seeking an experienced Vice President of Member Insights and Analytics to help optimize our business. Reporting directly to the President, this highly-impactful role will be responsible for translating data analysis into improvements in our key performance indicators. The ideal candidate knows what to look for and how to structure the right analysis to generate actionable ideas.
The scope of your work will be focused on subscriber analytics, including retention, campaign and funnel conversion, new member acquisition, customer lifetime value, and more.
What You Will Do:
- Drive KPIs by elevating member analytics and consumer insights strategy
- Study trends on a daily basis to identify key areas of opportunity
- Direct data scientists to develop statistical models of subscriber, product, and operations-related data that will be used for decision-making throughout the company
- Combine and analyze large sets of member data from multiple sources
- Identify actionable insights that will help drive growth for our business
Who You Are:
- You have 7+ years of experience driving retention or new customer acquisition, preferably at a subscription based business
- You are a great communicator and collaborator. You value building strong relationships with colleagues and stakeholders, and you have the ability to translate complex topics in simple, non-technical terms that are meaningful to the business
- You are an influencer and can confidently deliver data-driven recommendations
- Experience in designing analytic and/or algorithmic solutions to business or operational problems
- Experience working with big data and/or relational databases and SQL in a real-world context
Senior Manager, Insight Analytics
Overview and Responsibilities
- Working with VP to develop questionnaire outlines for large surveys based on study key goals and business use cases
- Guiding junior staff in writing smaller ad-hoc surveys
- Proofreading surveys for proper question wording, syntax and overall survey logic
- Coordinating all logistical details of studies
- Forming strong relationships with and managing vendors, ensuring timely responses and accurate deliverables
- Working with VP in developing out analysis plans based on 1) relevant data sources, 2) business needs, and 3) different statistical approaches
- Organizing and mining data sets using statistical software such as SPSS, Python, R, etc. to search for relationships among key metrics
- Synthesizing data from multiple sources – such as survey data, syndicated data, Nielsen and Omniture data – and creating innovative, custom-designed analyses to tell comprehensive stories about the preferences and behaviors of the viewer
- Presenting findings to brand research teams
- Managing and developing junior staff
- 6-8 years of experience in custom research, including 4 years of experience developing and editing questionnaires, preferably in a media/entertainment industry environment or on behalf of media/entertainment clients
- At least 3 years of experience supervising small (2-5 person) teams
- Superior analytical skills, including experience using tools such as SPSS, Python, R, etc.
- Strong experience with Powerpoint and Excel, including using macros and pivot tables
- Superior interpersonal skills, with a track record of successful collaboration within and across teams
- Superior organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to thrive in a “start-up” environment with frequently evolving priorities and processes
- BA/BS degree
- An interest in television and other forms of video entertainment