Here are sample job advertisements for Industrial Designer roles…
Director of Industrial Design
- Manage InVue’s creative process from ideation through completion, leveraging a mastery of holistic, human centered design principles to elevate design as a leadership discipline within the company
- Team leadership; day to day management of a team of Senior Industrial Designers
- Initial concepts to sketch models, prototypes, packaging, engineering and materials, the leader will work collaboratively within a cross-functional team while managing other team members to ensure design intent and integrity is maintained throughout all stages of product development
- Be a hands-on facilitation and design process expert, advising internal teams, external partners, as well as working as a liaison with internal teams to see ideas through to appropriate design and implementation levels across a variety of platforms
- Translate marketing objectives into clear creative strategies, by synthesizing input from management, sales, engineering and development partners to design and refine products from concept to mass production
- Follow through to sweat the smallest details, solve challenges and champion and enforce design intent
- Participate in and translate consumer & ethnographic insights into design opportunities Understand user behavior as it relates to design and have a passion for creating beautiful and meaningful experiences
- Assume ownership of projects, working without close supervision, while balancing multiple concurrent projects
- Facilitate project communication across a multidisciplinary team through all phases of projects
- Make and take constructive criticism while maintaining a sense of humor and a balanced perspective
- Bachelor’s degree in ID/Product Design, 10+ years of industrial design experience (with at least 3-5 years leading ID teams and projects) preferably in fast-moving, high-volume consumer electronics or consumer goods companies
- Demonstrated leadership, motivation and the ability to provide constructive feedback and direction to both internal and external team members
- Fluidly move from strategy and design direction to hands-on, ‘in the tools’ development
- Demonstrated mastery of 2D and 3D tools of the trade (Solidworks, Keyshot, Adobe CS, PowerPoint/Keynote etc.)
- Persuasively and assertively sell ideas and solutions to technical and non-technical stakeholders via excellent visual, written and verbal communication skills and solid rationale
- Experience creating and fostering an environment that builds and strengthens individual contributor skills sets and career development
- Extensive knowledge and experience related to process capabilities and limitations within the world of electrical and mechanical engineering and high-volume overseas manufacturing
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously, with strong initiative and follow through
- Excellent project management and prioritization skills, paying meticulous attention to detail, while not losing sight of the big picture
- Embrace a hands-on development and learning approach, using frequent prototyping for validation and user studies
- Mechanically inclined with a strong aesthetic sensitivity and deep understanding of manufacturing processes and methods across multiple materials
- Work under tight deadline pressure and adapt quickly and amicably to changes in project, scope and schedule
- Able to travel domestically and internationally, up to 20%
We are a family of Fjordians. Our living culture and borderless playground provide us with space to thrive, following simple core values that inform everything we do. Be adventurous. Bring a vision. Make an impact. Rely on empathy. Nurture collaboration. Stay transparent. Be bold and generous in all you do.
Thanks to a unique partnership with Accenture, we’re able to do work that changes the world, and we’re always looking for kindred spirits.
- To lead or provide oversight for our multi-disciplinary teams, directing the definition of the overall design vision, strategy, execution, and delivery through all stages of the project from conceptual work through to refinement, documentation, and launch.
- You will oversee multiple projects simultaneously, closely collaborating with principal and senior-level designers to ensure the design vision is upheld during design execution and delivery of a project.
- Develop and nurture strong client and stakeholder relationships that position we are a trusted advisor and partner.
- Actively participate and lead business development efforts, including meetings and presentations, to help grow our client portfolio.
- As co-lead on business development efforts, the Creative Director will be responsible for directing a team through the development of a complete design proposal, and for collaborating with the Business Development team and/or Client Services partners.
- To grow, develop, and maintain our unique point-of-view, proprietary thinking and methodologies related to design, and to share this through training and mentorship internally, and externally by demonstrating thought-leadership at industry conferences and in publications.
- To manage up to 5 reports from a variety of design disciplines. In the role of a manager, the Creative Director will be responsible for managing and mentoring their reports’ growth, conducting regular one-on-ones, and providing their reports’ with yearly performance evaluations.
- 10+ years of practical experience in design
- 4+ years’ experience managing 4 or more direct reports
- 5+ years managing design projects
- A Master’s Degree in design is preferred. Acceptable disciplines are industrial design, interaction design or human-computer interaction (HCI), graphic design, or related discipline
- An exceptional portfolio of work that demonstrates a significant breadth of experience in solving complex, large-scale design challenges, collaborating with and managing multiple stakeholders across disciplines, and delivering meaningful innovation in products and/or design processes and methodologies
- Your work is recognized as groundbreaking and world-class in the broader design community and you have been awarded patents and design awards
- Internationally acclaimed industry leader w/experience speaking at events/conferences and/or through published content
- Best-in-class mastery of at least one of our key creative disciplines: industrial design, interaction design, and or the visual design, and a proficient understanding of the disciplines that have not been mastered
- Mastery of qualitative and quantitative design research methodologies, and experience participating in, or conducting, medium to large research projects, from qualitative consumer ethnography to analytics-based A/B testing
- Mastery in leading creative teams throughout all stages of a design project, from research to ideation, to detailed design, to documentation and delivery
- Experience leading multiple simultaneous projects is required
- Best-in-class mastery in presenting design work to audiences of senior industry executives, VCs, academics, and others
- Exceptional client management skills
- Clear ability to lead and inspire multi-disciplinary teams
- Deep familiarity with a range of product development processes (e.g. waterfall and agile)
- Deep experience in collaborating with multiple stakeholders across disciplines
- Organized, detail-oriented, and self-motivated
- Exceptional written and verbal communication, interpersonal and time-management skills
- Must bring passion, positivity, energy and enthusiasm to our team
- Must hold a valid US Works Visa, if international
Mission Escape Rooms is looking for a qualified, eager to learn, full-time candidate to join our team as an Assistant to our Lead Game Designer. Please submit a cover letter and link to your portfolio or project examples when applying.
The ideal candidate MUST possess the following criteria:
– Carpentry experience with knowledge of tools and processes common in a shop environment
-Proficiency in 2D rendering software (included but not limited to, Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator)
-Experience in interdisciplinary design projects
-Experience in utilizing various finishing techniques for various materials (foam, resin, wood, fiberglass, metal)
-Strong attention to detail
The following criteria is strongly preferred:
-Familiarity with platforms such as Arduino and/or Raspberry Pi
-Basic knowledge of low voltage wiring/prototyping
-Experience in the design/fabrication of interactive mediums (set design, exhibit design, product design, etc)
-Familiarty in escape rooms and game design
Job Type: Full-time
- High school or equivalent (Required)
- English (Required)
- United States (Required)
- Immediately (Required)