Here are sample job advertisements for these types of roles…
Digital Writer/Editor (Communications Publications Writer-Editor)
Compensation: Salary commensurate with education and experience
Closing Date: July 2, 2019
The Graduate Center, CUNY is the focal point for advanced teaching and research at The City University of New York (CUNY), the nation’s largest urban public university. With over 35 doctoral and master’s programs of the highest caliber, the Graduate Center fosters pioneering research and scholarship in the arts and sciences and prepares students for careers in universities and the private, nonprofit, and government sectors. The Graduate Center’s commitment to research and scholarship for the public good is exemplified by its more than 30 centers, institutes, and initiatives, including its Advanced Science Research Center (ASRC), a 200,000 square-foot facility in upper Manhattan, designed to promote collaboration among scientists in five areas of global research and innovation: nanoscience, photonics, structural biology, neuroscience, and environmental sciences.
The Graduate Center (GC) benefits from highly ambitious and diverse students and alumni—who in turn teach hundreds of thousands of undergraduates every year. Through its public programs, the Graduate Center enhances New York City’s intellectual and cultural life.
The Digital Writer/Editor in the Office of Communications and Marketing will report on and write engaging stories. Reporting to the Director of Communications, this position will develop social media, web, and e-newsletter content covering faculty and student research at the GC and throughout CUNY.
This position will end in December 2020.
Duties include but are not limited to:
– Reports on and writes engaging articles for the web about research in the humanities, social sciences, sciences, and arts by CUNY professors and students.
– In consultation with fellow editor, finds and selects images and multimedia content to accompany articles and social media posts.
– Copy edits, fact checks, and proofreads articles and content.
– Creates social media posts for Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and other platforms.
– Posts stories and multimedia content to the web using WordPress.
– Cultivates and sustains working relationships with research active faculty across the university; seeks newsworthy information about faculty and student research on a proactive basis.
– Contributes content for bi-weekly e-newsletter and assists with layout using MailChimp or comparable programs.
– Analyzes social media and website traffic metrics and applies data to inform content strategy.
– Cultivates and sustains media relationships with the science and research media including traditional print, online, and web2.0 media, and pitches story ideas to individual members of the media.
– Reports on and writes engaging stories about faculty and student scholarship in the sciences, social sciences and humanities, including through news and feature articles, profiles and interviews.
CUNY Title Overview:
– Writes and prepares written material on College issues and event and provides professional support to College communications programs.
– Researches and writes items in a variety of formats for publication in print, web sites, and presentations
– Participates in planning communications projects and contributes to decisions on content and style
– May assume editorial responsibility for communications projects; reviews and edits the work of others
– May coordinate production of written materials
– Adheres to journalistic standards for fact-finding, research, verification, and style
– Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s Degree and four years’ related experience required.
A preferred candidate should have:
– Experience as a writer and editor.
– Strong news and editorial judgement.
– Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
– Demonstrated success with writing a variety of news content, including short stories, longer features, profiles, and interviews.
– Experience developing content for social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
– Exceptional copyediting, proofreading, and fact-checking skills and strong attention to detail.
– Ability to meet tight deadlines and manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
– Proven ability to generate engaging social media content.
– Strong visual and multimedia storytelling abilities.
– Knowledge of academic research.
– Experience with science writing for a general audience.
– Familiarity with Photoshop
– Ability to work collaboratively.
– Ability to work in a dynamic and flexible environment with changing requirements.
How to Apply:
1. Please apply using the link below:
Click on “Apply Now” which will bring you to the registration screen. If you are a new user, you must register to apply. If you already have a user ID, please use your existing ID to apply. Make sure to upload a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three (3) professional references (name, title, and organization). Please upload all documents as one file, in Word or PDF format.
2. Go to http://cuny.jobs/ and search for Job ID 20539.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.
Job Type: Full-time
DanceBody is currently looking for experienced, friendly, focused leaders to join our rapidly expanding team.
If you are
- Looking to have a foundational role inside of a small company with a large digital landscape
- A detail oriented, personable, glass-half-full person that is a self-starter
- Someone who would enjoy holding a leadership position that is an integral part of a team
…you could be the right person for us!!
Because we are
- All about providing an inclusive, exciting, and rewarding experience for our clients AND our team members
- Growth oriented and want to link up with committed professionals who know how to work hard and play hard(in that order)
- Looking for the right fit with self-motivated team players who want to make an impact on something real from the ground up
The Director of Digital Communications will serve as the strategic leader of our digital communications strategies, initiatives, and services for the DanceBody e-community. This role is responsible for managing the direction of all digital aspects of our quickly expanding company.
- Develop strategic plans for DanceBody’s digital communication, including but not limited to our online streaming platform DanceBody@Home, email marketing, website, app, and digital buildout opportunities
- Daily management ofDanceBody.com andDanceBody@Home
- Lead digital efforts to keep DanceBody current with industry trends
- Design and implement projects to make DanceBody more experiential and connected for our virtual clientele
- Project manage and motivate our digital team members and consultants to stay on schedule and on budget
- Source and budget materials for digital-related initiatives
- Pull, analyze, and report digital analytics regularly for DanceBody@Home and our website
- Present to team and upper level management * MaintainoureCommerce platform
- Review analytics and traffic patterns to inform decisions * Stay connectedwith our virtual community to provide a personalized experience that matches the same level of hospitality we offer toour in-studio clients
- Oversee external communications with our local and global client base
- Communicate with our marketing team to lead informed media campaigns
- Proven success with increasing website traffic and digital strategies from content to post-launch management
- Goal oriented with excellent project management skills and focus on work flow
- Ability to inspire others to solve problems and take action
- Strong communication skills with emphasis on empowering colleagues and inspiring change
- Holistically manage a balance between tech projects and client needs- we need big picture thinkers! * Experience developing standards, schedules, and workflow processes to meet deadlines and client needs while working within a budget
- Tech savvy
- Strong command of a variety of content management systems, in order to troubleshoot and understand CMS logic
- Demonstrated understanding of UX/UI/IA development, as well as familiarity with a wide variety of digital publishing platforms and tools (e.g.,Drupal, Word Press, Compressor, etc.) * Video(FinalCut Pro) and photoeditingskills
- Strong attention to detail
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- 2-4years of digital and management experience
- Enthusiastic, energetic, and friendly disposition
- Interest and respect for our product
- Comfortable working with a team, no solo acts!
Company Benefits & Perks:
Employee Benefits are hugely important to us. We are constantly looking for ways to increase and improve our current plans offered to attract and retain top candidates. Currently we offer:
- $70 – $80K plus salary + YE bonus based on performance
- A highly competitive Medical plan
- 2 weeks paid time off over the course of your first year of employment
- Casual dress-code
- Team Unity outings
- Exciting, mission-driven, collaborative work environment
- FREE WORKOUTS at the best place ever : )
Submit your resume, cover letter and five professional references, at least two of which must be references who have directly supervised the applicant. A digital portfolio demonstrating professional experience is helpful.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $70,000.00 to $80,000.00 /year
Location: This is a remote position. We are accepting applications nationally and will hire the strongest candidate.
United for Respect seeks a senior digital strategist to take our digital strategy to the next level. The person in this role will develop and executes high-impact and game-changing campaigns that empower our members to achieve concrete victories for working people and people of color.
United for Respect is a multiracial movement of working people advancing a vision of an economy where corporations respect our work and recognize our humanity. We are building an economy that allows us to live and work in dignity.
We are changing the national conversation about low-wage work and empowering each other around workplace rights and community based resources. Our success comes from our investment in developing leadership from our base. We dream big and we win big.
Almost a decade ago we launched OUR Walmart, a national organization of current and former Walmart workers that has achieved national scale and impact through an innovative fusion of workplace organizing and online outreach as well as strong community partnerships. We have won two wage increases, paid family leave, and pregnancy accommodations at Walmart. Most recently, we were behind the historic victory at Toys R Us where we won $20 million in a hardship fund directly from Wall Street and into the pockets of working people.
About this position
We are building the 21st Century labor movement and we need a phenomenal team leader to fight fiercely and implement strategies to win a world where we can all live and work in dignity. This is a senior-level position on the digital team responsible for day-to-day team management and moving high-level digital planning and strategy throughout the organization.
This is not a 9-5 job. We are looking for someone highly independent, able to manage a remote team, and take initiative with little direction. In this political climate, we are often working in rapid response moments and we’re looking for someone who thrives in that environment. We have a culture of experimentation – we want you to find your political home here and propose big and wacky ideas that sometimes fail and sometimes succeed.
We think of digital strategy through an organizing lens not just an amplification or marketing lens – and we want all of our staff to think of themselves as organizers first and foremost.
Scope of the role
- Serve as a team leader, supervising a growing staff focused on planning and executing email strategy, ads campaigns, and social media
- Oversee content development, email calendar & timelines, and digital strategies that meet our organizing, political, and communications objectives
- Develop aggressive growth strategies for our email and social media reach
- Put together complex digital campaign plans that weave in multiple platforms, strategies, and tactics
- Write & edit dynamic content across all platforms to tell the story of our work in a meaningful way using compelling stories and narratives while also providing feedback to develop staff to become effective writers
- Work collaboratively across departments in the organization to develop creative and strategic plans while maintaining the ability to respond to rapid changes in the political environment.
- Deliver campaign plans and reports under tight deadlines while maintaining the highest level of quality
- Identify training opportunities for staff and members – and run trainings on best practices for online fundraising, list growth, email writing, online-to-offline organizing
- Innovate how to best engage and activate members in storytelling, including launching new initiatives like a YouTube channel
- Mentor and manage multiple staff
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the labor movement, progressive organization, or political campaign
- Proven track record of running successful email campaigns and online fundraising strategies
- Able to keep cool working in high-stress environments and deploying timely content during rapid response scenarios
- Ability to prioritize dozens of moving pieces and competing deadlines and goals
- Strong design eye and sharp writing skills
- Attention to detail and process
- Supervisory and team management experience strongly preferred
- Experience with paid advertising on Facebook strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus but not required
Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000 salary depending on experience and geography. Competitive benefits package provided for full-time employees and eligible dependents, including health, dental, vision, and prescription coverage and 401k.
Ability to travel is a must.
United for Respect is an equal opportunity employer with a commitment to equity. People of color, women, and LGBT candidates are encouraged to apply.
We’re looking for a digital storyteller with a passion for dogs and the people who love them. AKC has long been the trusted resource for all things dog, from breed information to sports and programs that enrich the lives of dog lovers. We’re in an exciting growth phase as we expand our digital and core businesses. The Digital Content Editor role is an opportunity to be a part of this transformation.
You will serve as a vital part of the marketing team, contributing to the overall content strategy for AKC, as well as collaborating across departments. You’re a self-starter who can balance multiple projects while maintaining quality and driving results.
- Research, brainstorm and pitch content ideas that align with audience interest and brand priorities
- Create, assign, curate and edit high-quality content in the right storytelling formats – written, video, photo, audio, etc
- Produce and publish content in CMS
- Ensure content is QA-checked for links, layout and any other issues before publish
- Update website promotional slots on a regular basis
- Adhere to editorial best practices including tone, voice, styleguide, SEO, fact-checking and photography standards
- Manage freelance assignments, field incoming pitches, and process payment
- Contribute to editorial calendar and content tracking
- Contribute to reporting of content performance and metrics
- Collaborate with and support cross-functional teams, including social media, newsletter, PR, ecommerce and advertising, on ongoing initiatives and projects
- Stay up to date with evolving trends in digital storytelling and ways to incorporate into the brand’s content strategy
Skills & Experience
- 2-4 years of editorial experience at a digital publication
- Strong storytelling, writing and editing skill. Video and/or photo skill a major plus.
- Experience in CMS platforms like WordPress. Basic HTML coding skill a plus.
- Experience gathering and interpreting metrics
- Ability to contribute to content strategy
- Experience with Photoshop, Canva and/or other visual tools a plus.
- Positive and here-to-help collaborative attitude
- Ability to work both independently and as contributor to the larger team
- BA in journalism or other relevant field
- Experience with dogs and/or dog sports a major plus.
Please include a resume and a cover letter for consideration.