Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
TELECOM Strategy and Corporate Development (SVP, VP, Director)
Lead the next wave of digital revolution in Communications, Internet and Media.
We are looking for highly talented individuals with strong analytical and communications skills to join the team as a Strategy and Corporate Development Manager. If successful in joining our team you will have an opportunity to work on new and exciting topics including Internet of Things (IoT), Shared Economy, Personal Mobile Financial Services, Telematics and Smart Cities.
You will support the Company’s acquisition target evaluation, due diligence and transaction processes, with particular emphasis on financial analysis and strategic rationale development.
The role involves analyses that span a range of industries and companies, ranging in size from small private venture capital-funded startups to multibillion-dollar market cap companies. Analyses often deal with complex accounting, tax, credit, and financial deal structuring issues. Industry trends and competitor/peer intelligence is incorporated into the analyses.
Corporate Strategy and Development team is working on high-visibility projects including Board, CEO and CFO-level topics and serves as a pipeline of top leadership talent into the organization.
– Assist in the preparation of presentations and recommendations for senior management review and for board meetings.
– Investigate and evaluate acquisitions, divestitures, licensing opportunities, and strategic alliances.
– Perform detailed financial analysis; develop comprehensive pro forma financial models and valuation analysis in support of potential transactions and organic business cases.
– Work closely with legal, accounting, tax, and investment banking experts to support the pre-acquisition due-diligence activities and assist in post-acquisition integration support, as required.
– Research and analyze diverse industries and verticals, identifying trends and strategic areas of interest for business unit portfolio.
– Work with business units to assess and prioritize transactions to best align with business strategy and growth plans.
– Develop and maintain related internal and external benchmarks for transactions in the related industries.
– A Bachelor degree required, MBA is strongly preferred or equivalent work experience.
– Demonstrated work experience in one or more of the following areas:
— Investment Banking
— Top-Tier Management Consulting
— Corporate Development
— Private Equity
— Venture Capital
– Experience working in a transactional environment is preferred.
– Strong financial background in analyzing data, background in finance/accounting required.
– Robust financial modeling skills and the ability to perform quantitative analysis with relative autonomy.
– Exceptional project management skills: leading client teams, peers, and junior team members through key aspects of strategy projects, owning work streams towards development of critical project deliverables.
– Ability to balance multiple projects of varying duration supporting both the pipeline as well as projects underway.
– Strong executive-level presentation skills including storyboarding, development and delivery to executive audience is a must.
– Knowledge of telecommunications, Internet and media industries preferred.
– Knowledge of research databases and ability to conduct research, analyze data, and develop models.
– Good writing/editing/interpersonal/organizational skills.
– High energy, strategic thinker with track record of executing with strong analytical with critical thinking abilities.
– Executive presence and high degree of comfort in working directly with senior management is highly desired.
– Exceptional attention to detail.
Loews Corporation is one of the largest diversified companies in the United States, with businesses in the insurance, energy, hospitality and packaging industries. Our subsidiaries are: CNA Financial (NYSE: CNA), Diamond Offshore (NYSE: DO), Boardwalk Pipeline, Loews Hotels and Consolidated Container. Loews is focused on long-term value creation for its shareholders, and conservative financial management.
As a Corporate Development Analyst/Associate you will work closely with senior management across the enterprise on projects relating to corporate strategy, corporate finance, acquisitions & divestitures, and other special projects. You’ll work within a close-knit team to develop growth strategies, support acquisitions, evaluate capital projects, analyze financial performance, and working on equity and debt financings.
Additionally, you will be involved in:
External corporate development
- Supporting senior management in sourcing and evaluating new acquisition opportunities for Loews
- Performing strategic and quantitative analyses, conduct due diligence and determine appropriate company and/or project valuation
- Independently executing primary and secondary research on markets, industries and companies
- Executing transactions
Internal corporate development
- Monitoring and analyzing operating performance of subsidiaries
- Working with subsidiary management to support M&A and financing activities
- Working with subsidiary management on major strategic decisions
Strategic & financial planning
- Providing financial planning & analysis support to the CFO
- Participating in budgeting and forecasting process for Loews and each of its subsidiaries
- Supporting annual strategic review process
- Supporting other special projects for senior management, such as enterprise risk management, rating agency presentations, etc.
To be considered, you’ll need:
- Undergraduate degree from top-tier university
- 1-3 years of transactional experience at an investment bank/private equity firm/hedge fund
Additionally, you should have practical experience with a track record that demonstrates:
- Excellent quantitative and analytical problem-solving skills; financial modeling expertise
- Outstanding presentation skills with the ability to translate complex concepts to easily understandable presentations
- Ability to take initiative, support strategic priorities, take ownership of assigned projects and independently drive for results
- Experience in developing relationships; ability to develop credibility and respect with individuals at all organizational levels
- Financial markets experience is a plus
Reporting to the CEO and CFO, the Corporate Development Associate will be responsible for assisting in strategic initiatives for corporate development including the composition of board presentations, operational initiatives, and M&A opportunities. You will also evaluate and help implement organic growth opportunities and assist the CFO in integrating key processes. The ideal candidate has an undergraduate degree from a top-tier institution and two years of experience with an investment bank. This role offers a rare and unique opportunity to gain exposure to Safari Energy’s senior management and Business Unit leaders, while working on the Company’s highest strategic priorities. The ability to work independently and as a team member are critical, as well as the desire and innovative mind set to operate as an important contributor within a fast-pace, early stage company environment.
- Prepare strategic presentations for executive team, board members, and parent company, PPL
- Prepare financial projections and for executive team for quarterly, annual and long-term business planning purposes
- Analysis of Investment opportunities
- Collaborate with business unit leaders to drive strategy execution, and partnering on functional strategy projects that deliver value
- Proactive monitoring of industry trends and competitive landscape in the C&I Solar space to help identify, evaluate, and prioritize strategic initiatives
- Interact frequently with business and operational heads across the company and with PPL
- Assist with the execution of complex financial modeling assignments in a corporate finance environment
- Specific duties include performing various financial analysis activities including financial reporting, metrics projects, modeling, and cost analysis
- Assist in the evaluation of potential acquisition targets using these methods in support of the due diligence process
- Develop and prepare presentations on the results of research and analysis of acquisition targets for use by Senior Management
- Participate in due diligence processes and communications with external advisors by providing required documentation and information as well as obtaining that information for the due diligence process
- Other corporate finance duties as assigned by the CFO
Near Term Goals and Objectives – Measures of Success
- Quickly come up to speed on industry and company value proposition
- Identify and pursue key business opportunities
- Develop, build and maintain corporate presentations for internal analyses
- Foster cohesive teamwork that delivers best-in-class service to clients and has a positive impact on the work environment
Must be passionate about the renewable energy business, hardworking and thrive in the fast pace of rapidly growing, early stage company with tremendous growth potential. In addition, you must possess:
- Minimum 1 year of experience (2 years is ideal) in Investment Banking, Consulting or Corporate Development/Strategy
- Proven ability to quickly and accurately run complex financial models using thoughtful assumptions
- Proven ability to manage diligence processes and organizing multiple constituents
- Demonstrated superior understanding of Excel
- Ability to operate with a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality
- Creativity to transform raw data into presentations with an eye on design and accuracy, while conveying the intended value proposition
- Successful track-record of working on teams to support Corporate Development
- Outstanding organizational and people skills
- Ability to quickly develop a deep understanding of engineering and renewable energy systems
- Attention to detail
- Collaborative and engaging leader who partners well with others
- Strong team orientation and demonstrated client management skills;
- Highly energetic and results-driven, with a strong work ethic and commitment to excellence
- Executive presence, outgoing with strong communication and presentation skills
- Builds trust by demonstrating high ethical standards and personal integrity
- Quick learner and highly intelligent
- Analytical problem solver who views obstacles as challenges
- Creative thinker who generates new and different ideas
- Self-motivated, self-starter who can work independently when necessary
- Bachelor’s degree from top-tier school