Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
Chief Revenue Officer
The Washington Post is looking for a seasoned, entrepreneurial, multimedia sales and creative marketing leader who will develop innovative solutions that drive top-line revenue and help us shape our sales and digital business model for years to come.
More than a skillful sales and marketing executive, you have deep digital experience and are a key member of the executive leadership team that oversees hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue, encompassing digital, custom, programmatic, print, and live media; you understand the value of all media platforms and how they interrelate. You can manage a complex business that sits at the forefront of sales and digital strategy and are skillful at building digital business models for the future. Equally important, you can uncover and develop revenue opportunities that maximize the interplay of a B2B and B2C organization. In partnership with the VP, Digital Product Development & CIO, you shape successful products across multiple platforms and implement solutions that focus on revenue generation, digital strategy, pricing, packaging, and consumer marketing. You possess an innate sense of where the money is and know how to shape and sell products that add materially to our revenue-generating engine. You are an agile, ambidextrous leader with significant succession potential – comfortable with high-dollar, B2B client relations and creating new businesses as well as data analysis and the human side of business. You have unparalleled business and financial acumen that enable you to distinguish between revenue opportunities that will yield material results from those that hold little promise of success. You possess an entrepreneurial yet disciplined orientation to managing complex and evolving businesses. You make success criteria visible by establishing customer-focused metrics and hold stakeholders accountable to those metrics with discipline and diplomacy. Talented, first-class people want to work for you; you can inspire and motivate while also instilling discipline and focus toward achieving goals; you have deep connections to sales-focused talent spanning multiple industries and can attract highly skilled people and leadership to The Post. You are a highly collaborative leader who can cultivate strong relationships with peer executives who lead other, equally complex aspects of the business, including the Newsroom, Distribution & Customer Care, Production, Finance and Technology.
The VP & Chief Revenue Officer for The Washington Post will lead the entire digital, print, conferences sales, and new revenue generation functions. Reporting to the CEO/Publisher and and working with the executive leadership team, this crucial role has sole ownership for all Washington Post Media print, digital and non-subscription based revenue functions. This role serves as a trusted advisor to and member of the senior management team and plays a key role in directing the company towards opportunities that yield positive financial results.
- At least 12 years of revenue generation, digital business development, and strategic leadership experience.
- Extensive experience with digital strategy, pricing, product development, complex sales strategies, negotiations, B2B and B2C sales tactics.
- Proven success in setting the strategic direction of a large, complex sales and marketing organization that aligns with short- and long-term company goals and executing with focus and discipline to exceed targets.
- Experience overseeing a custom content digital studio and advertising technology group.
- Strong analytical and financial acumen, successfully applied to distinguish between revenue opportunities that can yield material profitability within two to three years from those that cannot.
- Proven success in setting and executing against sales and operational plans and creating short and long-term strategies that align with business goals.
- Proven success in creating products across multiple platforms, implementing marketing strategies and finding ways to generate revenue from new and existing products.
- Proven success with driving results in multiple areas of the business that reduce costs and increase efficiency while preserving mass-market penetration.
- Clear and unquestionable ability to lead, motivate, and inspire a large and talented digital, print and conferences sales and marketing force.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or related field; MBA and previous media experience preferred.
Areas of Influence:
- Establishing revenue streams, setting revenue targets and annual budgets to make strategic decisions regarding resource allocation and investments.
- Setting the strategic direction for The Post to drive revenue, reduce costs, create extraordinary customer experiences, and increase market share.
- Leading the digital and print sales, marketing, and sales operations teams for The Washington Post.
- Overseeing the quality of products across digital, print and live media; identifying areas that may hold promise for improving revenue results and developing solutions to address those needs.
- Acquiring, developing, and retaining talent throughout the sales organization to create a nimble, responsive, and results-driven culture.
The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) is responsible for revenue and accountable for driving better integration and alignment between all revenue-related functions. The CRO must maintain an excellent communication framework across the various organizational functions and share best practices. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.ResponsibilitiesDefine the Revenue Strategy
- Building and adapting a revenue architecture that aligns with the business strategy and setting top-down goals and metrics
- Partnering with the senior team to define differentiated offerings and go-to-market strategies
- Develop value proposition positioning that articulate the solutions and products portfolio, supporting corporate brand message and value differentiators
- Defining the go-to-market model including how to access customers, and influencers and organize channels and teams
- Craft sales & marketing strategies including programs and digital mix to maximize revenue performance from existing and prospective customers.
Construct, integrate and manage Revenue Systems
- Implement predictable, repeatable, and scalable sales processes
- Implement Omni-channel/on-line, POS, delivery services, Express Lane, E-Commerce processes, strategies, and systems
- Using technology and data analytics and intent data to inform targeted sales engagement strategies
- Attract, hire, train and retain top sales and retail/customer success talent
- Build a performance driven sales and retail culture
- Partner with IT to define needs and maintain business ownership of the revenue technology stack including automation/ CRM, digital channels (e.g. web and social), business intelligence, and data management
- Structure and manage successful relationships with alliance and channel partners
Execute Revenue Programs
- Lead sales and customer success teams to sell products and services and predictably meet and exceed targets
- Execute target plans using content, experiences and thought leadership to build awareness and generate demand with target customers, industry participants and influencers
- Coordinate with marketing to craft and execute closed-loop marketing and sales programs using a mix of paid, earned and owned media / channels (e.g. ABM, inbound and outbound) to drive predictable lead conversions
- Partner with marketing to optimize day-to-day marketing and sales activities driving buyer engagement to optimize revenue conversion performance
- Orchestrate and manage accounts and the “must win” process.
- Build and develop business strategies with Regional General Managers to support growth
- Drive and deliver operational performance and process improvement at the regional level
- Evaluate and improve financial performance
- Coordinate with Regional General Managers on driving sales and revenue growth at the state level
- Design and set strategy for growth and expansion in each region
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 10+ years of experience building high performance teams
- MBA preferred
- Proven experience in strategic business planning
- Experience in a fast growth start-up environment
- Ability to comprehend complex technical topics and specialized information.
- Ability to deal with shifting priorities and issues inherent to a fast-growing start-up organization.
- Demonstrated skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of business plans and strategies.
- Commitment to working with shared leadership and in cross-functional teams.
- Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and personal negotiation skills
- Exceptional leadership skills.
Chief Revenue Officer (Cesium)
The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) will lead our Cesium business unit. This is rare executive opportunity to cultivate and lead the business strategy for a unique technology startup in 3D mapping. With more than 300,000 downloads and millions of end users, Cesium is defining the standard for 3D maps across industries from A&D to BIM to drones to autonomous cars. In this role you will: – Own revenue generation, burn rate, and overall P&L – Recruit, mentor, and lead the teams responsible for: – Business development, vertical partners, and data partners – SaaS and enterprise sales – Marketing – Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to form a holistic organization strategy. – Join and facilitate a unique culture that has rocked the 3D mapping industry with a huge head start with our product and team. – Be part of the executive team
- Proven success in scaling business operations for a Series A stage technology startup.
- Successful in at least one of the following areas:
- SaaS business models
- Open source business models
- Geospatial industry
- Customer obsessed
- Driven to create impact for the organization; you are both a hands-on business generalist who wears any hat necessary and a business leader successful in growing and leading teams and cultivating leaders.
- Mission driven but grounded in financial reality. You pursue impact, not noise, and only create process to serve our customers, not ourselves.
- Both a strategic planner and tactical executer. You are a master of time management and determining prioritizes for yourself and the organization. You have a bias to action and will move fast and course correct failure before having analysis paralysis. You constantly decide on tradeoffs between near-term visible impact and long-term outcome. You are a divergent and convergent thinker; capable of creatively generating ideas and narrowing focus for you and the organization.
- Credible to a world-class engineering team. You are tech savvy and understand the business impact of our technology.
- A fantastic communicator in writing and in-person. You give inspiring internal and external presentations.
- Continuously learning and facilitating a learning culture.
- Willing to travel and work intense hours as needed.
- It’s a bonus if you also have had success with:
- Strategic and venture capital fundraising
- Acquisitions or IPO
- Significant general management and P&L experience.
- Strategically view the marketplace, analyze opportunities and successfully manage the growth of a profitable direct-to-consumer business.
- Ability to craft and execute a business strategy that will allow for future channel expansion
- Track record of managing multiple projects with a demonstrated ability to prioritize efforts based on ROI to the business.
- Ability to drive new product innovation and develop a roadmap to introduce products to market in a highly digital and data rich organization.
- Proven experience developing and executing marketing strategies.
- Demonstrated financial acumen and a history of decision making based upon business metrics.
- Background that includes hands-on accomplishments in delivering market share, sales growth and profitability in a progressive company.
- Inspirational leadership – understands the importance of being hands on.
- Capable of shaping a clear and strategic vision and effectively communicating that vision throughout all levels of the organization.
- Excellent leadership and team building/management skills; ability to provide clear and concise direction/feedback to external and internal stakeholders.
The successful candidate must possess outstanding leadership, interpersonal and communications skills. The candidate must be a high-energy, hands-on individual with strength of conviction – a self-confident leader who, in part due to his/her personal presence, style and demeanor, effectively sells ideas and solutions to others.
- Analytical, with a strong detail orientation – someone who can examine relevant industry information and translate that information into effective strategies and programs.
- Accomplished and confident professional with the executive presence and industry stature to effectively represent Blue Apron internally, externally and bring enhanced credibility to the organization.
- Strong service orientation, a disciplined work ethic, and ability to instill a high standard of excellence across the organization.
- A balanced individual capable of forging productive working relationships with a broad range of personality types and styles.
- Comfortable with the challenge to reach agreement among occasionally conflicting interests to enhance the common good of the organization.
- Ability to manage company culture/spirit and people and lead the change.
- Ability to anticipate change and proactively pivot in order to take advantage of industry trends.
Blue Apron provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Blue Apron complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Chief Revenue Officer
SHE Software is currently searching for a Chief Revenue Officer for our U.S. division. The Chief Revenue Officer (CRO) is a member of the senior management team (reports to the CEO) and is responsible for defining and maintaining the revenue strategy by leading and managing the pipeline to deliver current and forecasted results.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop, manage and integrate the revenue generating functions of the company
- Define a sustainable and predictable revenue architecture that continuously aligns with the business strategy
- Owns responsibility for all revenue generating processes for the organization
- Craft sales & marketing strategies to maximize revenue potential from existing and prospective customers
- Lead and manage Global heads of Business development to recruit, mentor and engage strong sales team members to deliver results
- Lead and implement a sales strategy for the products through the entire lifecycle of a customer to maximize revenue
- Collaborate with senior team to define differentiated offers and go-to-market strategies and predictable achievement of financial metrics
- Work with product leaders to provide customer-driven feedback and direction to meet customer needs
- Build a performance driven sales-focused culture with a customer, execution, and growth focus
- Collaborate with marketing to align initiatives to support revenue acceleration
- Implement predictable, repeatable, and scalable sales and marketing processes using data analytics
- Develop and manage a consistent pipeline and forecasting methodology
- Attract, mentor, develop and retain top business development talent
- Establish both short-term results and long-term strategy, including revenue forecasting
- Monitor the strategies and processes across the revenue cycle from customer acquisition to engagement to success
- Fill management gaps by building and training individuals and teams in the Global Sales Team
- Oversee all Channel/Partner Development — adding new sales channels and 3rd party resellers and partners
- Manage a consistent pipelines and forecasting methodology to deliver revenue
- Manage costs to budget within the global sales organization
- Orchestrate and manage key accounts and “must win” deals
- Drive a “lean startup” style environment of continual learning and development
This list is not exhaustive and other duties may be required to fulfill the role and meet the needs of the business.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business (or business-related field)
- MBA preferred
- 10 + years experience in B2B Global sales and/or strategic Account Leadership experience
- Experience in a scale-up environment
- Experience in a senior sales role, partnering with executive staff, resulting in the development and implementation of creative sales management strategies
- Experience leading a successful sales team
- Self-Starter – ability to execute and implement change
- Critical Thinking – strategic and highly analytical
- Leadership – easily move others to action by planning, motivating, organizing and controlling work being done
- Goal Oriented – naturally motivated to reach goals
- Strong Interpersonal/Communication
- Maturity – provide a good balance of risk-taking and judgment; Is aggressive and confident
- Ability to manage a global staff through Heads of BDM
- Thrives in a fast-paced environment and proficient at meeting or exceeding aggressive milestones
- Strong problem solving, conflict resolution and decision-making skills
- Ability to contribute both strategically and tactically towards growing a successful company
- Demonstrated cross-cultural agility
- High level of ethical, intellectual, professional and personal values that complement the team
ABOUT SHE SOFTWARE
With more than 20 years’ experience, SHE Software can speak with authority about health and safety management software solutions. Founded in 1995 and headquartered in Scotland, the company’s IOSH or NEBOSH accredited team is located across the UK, US and New Zealand. Assure, our highly configurable health and safety management software solution, is at the heart of our success. It’s trusted by more than 850 organisations and used by more than half a million users around the world. Working across diverse sectors and industries including manufacturing, construction, energy and utilities, we’re changing the way companies manage health and safety. www.shesoftware.com