Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
Senior Manager – Business Continuity Management
We are seeking an experienced Business Continuity Management leader to join Two Sigma. This role will work across all Two Sigma functions and global offices to identify, plan for, and provide response capabilities for events that may disrupt our business operations. Partnering with diverse functions you will establish and maintain relationships through a foundation of trust, collaboration and respect. You will provide strategy, education, adoption, and execution of our business continuity program. You will exhibit leadership, sound judgment and collaborative presence during the planning process as well as during situations which may, or do, impact our operations.
- Design, enhance, and execute a robust business continuity strategy appropriate to the needs of Two Sigma
- Create and maintain recovery plans for critical business functions, technology platforms and facilities
- Drive change to continuously uplift our recovery capabilities and review incident responses
- Partner with functions across the company to accomplish your mandate
- Focus on the safety of our people, the availability of our technology, and the availability of our facilities
- Ensure adherence to all applicable regulatory requirements including testing and education
- Identify and actively execute opportunities to test our readiness for improvement opportunities
- Provide communications capabilities to enable and support decision making, and coordinated, consistent messaging
- Ensure the program remains current and relevant to the needs of the business and remains aware of industry best practices
- Lead response to all events, from large scale disruptive events to individual medical or safety issues
Qualifications, Experience & Attributes:
- 15 – 20 years relevant industry experience with a minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in business continuity leadership or similar position
- Demonstrated experience managing crisis situations
- Technology and software engineering familiarity as applied to a business critical or client facing technology environment
- Communications skills that can span effectively from internal engineers to external investors
- Be hands on and in the details and tasks that support execution of the strategy
- During planning, lead through influence, data, and reasoned purpose
- During events, lead from the front through calm presence, coordinated communication and promotion of collaborative decision making
- Required to work with high levels of autonomy and independence
- We are open-minded in our search for critical thinkers and pragmatic, thoughtful leaders who are driven to manage risk
Bachelor s degree or the equivalent combination of education and experience is required. 12-15 years of total work experience, with 3-5 years of management experience, preferred.
BNY Mellon is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Minorities/Females/Individuals With Disabilities/Protected Veterans.
Primary Location: United States-New York-New York
Internal Jobcode: 85184
Organization: Global Business Resiliency-HR17252
Requisition Number: 1815607
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world with total assets of over $2.4 trillion (as ranked by SNL Financial, April 2016) and 140,000 colleagues in nearly 50 countries. In the U.S., we’re 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that’s working to fulfill its vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group.
Reporting to the Director of Business Continuity Planning Management (BCPM), the BCEM/team lead is responsible for both the strategic development and management of four core functions of the Business Continuity (BC) Management framework ((1) Recovery Readiness, (2) Recovery Planning, (3) Recovery Capabilities, and (4) Recovery Validation) and the tactical implementation (as the Engagement Manager/Team lead) of all four core functions of the BC/DR management framework to multiple critical business areas. As the Engagement Manager for critical business areas, he/she will direct and guide critical business areas in the tactical focus that is imperative to ensuring execution of EBCM’s core functions. He/she delivers and maintains the Enterprise Business Continuity initiatives, including integration of Emergency Response, Disaster Recovery (DR), and Crisis Management (CM). The BCEM/Team lead will directly supervise the day to day operations and deliverables of nine employees and will coordinate with varying levels of management and supervises Business Continuity activities for multiple critical business functions across the enterprise
50% – As the BC Engagement ManagerTeam lead to multiple critical business areas, supports and manages day-to-day operations and the tactical execution of BCPM program components including but not limited to the four core functions of the BCPM Framework: 1) Recovery Readiness including Training, Risk Assessment, and Business Impact Analysis (BIA), 2) Recovery Planning including BC/DR plan development, management, and maintenance, 3) Recovery Capabilities including recovery solutions development and management for the critical business areas he/she oversee, 4) Recovery Validation including both exercising and testing of the other 3 core components.
Recovery Readiness including Training, Risk Assessment, and Business Impact Analysis (BIA),
- Providing “internal consultant” support to assigned Business Areas in completion of the full Business Continuity Planning life-cycle and enterprise solutions
- Create and manage executive and senior leader interactions/communications within Business Areas
- Develop, formalize, approve, and manage to enterprise preparedness compliance standards.
- Communicate to assigned Business Areas the corporate recovery priorities, strategy, pending changes, etc.
- Risk identification gap analysis and mitigation
- BIA development, delivery, training, and ongoing maintenance
- Maintain readiness measures, metrics, and reporting
- Develop and delivery of all BC/DR training activities
- Understand and apply internal policies/procedures, laws and regulations (internal and external including delivery of RFPs, RFIs, and managing to regulatory requirements including but not limited to: FFIEC, OCC, FINRA, Federal Reserve, requested disclosures.
- Provide training, education to business area critical subject matter experts (SMEs) and management on deliverables for the BCPM Program.
- Working with the BCPM team to perform gap analysis by comparing business function recovery requirements with current recovery capabilities
Recovery Planning including BC/DR plan development, management, and maintenance,
- Facilitate the development and delivery of Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery plans, understand critical business processes and plan for losses including “upstream and downstream” dependencies.
- Produce monthly BC/DR plan metrics and generate reports for auditing and review efforts
- Oversee delivery of annual BCP Plan lifecycle enhancements.
- Work with IT business leadership to determine continuity requirements, and to guide the development of appropriate IT disaster recovery plans affecting each key business area in IT.
- Establish and maintain uniform understanding and application of Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans, processes and solutions.
- Manage implementation, change, and integration recovery process for Mergers and Acquisitions
Recovery Capabilities including recovery solutions/capabilities development and management for the critical business areas he/she oversee,
- As the recovery services and solutions providers, assist Business Areas with identification and implementation of BC/DR solutions
- Handle and gain sponsorship for all of the logistics and coordination with assigned Business Areas, IT teams, and Corp Real Estate.
- Manage implementation change and integration process of recovery solutions for Mergers and Acquisitions
Recovery Validation including both exercising and testing of the other 3 core components.
- Manage test documentation and scorecards and provide roll-up metrics for assigned Business Areas
- Gather and generate monthly exercise/test metrics from each assigned Business Area
- Prepare and manage updates and reporting for the closure of BC/DR gaps resulting from management action plans (MAPs) created during events or exercise/test s.
- Populate dashboards and reports – track plan development, change, and enhancement resulting from recovery exercises/tests
- Manage recovery exercises/tests – Scorecards, lessons learned, and open action items
- Monitor staff performance; provide leadership and direction as required.
- Integrate BC/DR planning activities, solution development and implementation and exercise/tests, change management, for vendor/3rd party disaster readiness
50% As a Subject Matter Expert (SME), manage strategic development and execution of the four core functions of the BCPM Framework: 1) Recovery Readiness including Training, Risk Assessment, and Business Impact Analysis (BIA), 2) Recovery Planning including BC/DR plan development, management, and maintenance, 3) Recovery Capabilities including recovery solutions development and management for the critical business areas he/she oversees, 4) Recovery Validation including both exercising and testing of the other 3 core components plan testing and plan maintenance.
SME in Recovery Readiness including Training, Risk Assessment, and Business Impact Analysis (BIA),
- Enhance, maintain, and deliver the overarching Business Impact Analysis process, workflow and life-cycle
- Include identification, priority of recovery of critical functions, dependencies, RTO/RPO, key resource requirements and skills, and technology requirements
- Manage to enterprise preparedness compliance standards.
- Enhance, maintain, and deliver the overarching BC/DR risk identification gap analysis and mitigation process, workflow and life-cycle
- Support risk assessment and ongoing maintenance of all critical 3rd parties
- Enhance, maintain and deliver all BC/DR training activities
- Provide training, education and continuity solutions to business critical subject matter experts (SMEs) and management on deliverables for the BCM Program.
SME in Recovery Planning including BC/DR plan development, management, and maintenance,
- Oversee and control all BC/DR Planning Tools – assess existing tools to maximize ease of use and enhanced capability, tool administration and data management strategy.
- Oversee and control enhancement, development, and delivery of Business Continuity plans, to include critical business processes and plan for losses including dependencies.
- Oversees BC/DR plan maintenance schedule, calendar, exception process, documentation, and reporting
- Develop and implement monthly BC/DR plan metrics and generate reports for EBCM Governance auditing and review efforts
- Oversee delivery annual BCP Plan lifecycle enhancements.
- Establish and maintain uniform Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery Plans, processes and solutions.
- Establish and oversee, change and integration recovery process for Mergers and Acquisitions
SME in Recovery Capabilities including recovery solutions development and management for the critical business areas
- Capability management and maintenance oversight and recovery solutions/capabilities inventory
- Manage implementation, change, and integration process of recovery solutions/capabilities for the Enterprise
- Solutions/capabilities management for critical 3rd parties and tracking
SME in Recovery Validation including both exercising and testing of the other 3 core components.
- Develop the processes, enhancements, and management of test documentation and scorecards and develop roll-up metrics for all Business Areas
- Develop monthly exercise/test metrics from each Business Area
- Develop, implement and oversee the closure of BC/DR gaps resulting from management action plans (MAPs) created during events or exercise/tests.
- Develop dashboards and reports – to track enhancements resulting from recovery exercises/tests
- Develop, implement and provide a process for tracking recovery exercises/tests – Scorecards, lessons learned, and open action items
- Integrate BC/DR planning activities, solution development and implementation and exercise/tests, change management, for vendor/3rd party disaster readiness, and Mergers and Acquisitions
- Minimum of 10 years practical Business Continuity, Disaster Recovery, and Crisis Management experience as applied in a business and technical environment in the banking or financial industry preferred
- Professional certification from the Disaster Recovery Institute, International or from The Business Continuity Institute (e.g. ABCP, CBCP, MBCP, MBCI, CRP and/or other Business Continuity or industry related certifications preferred
- BS in Financial Services, Computer Sciences, or Engineering preferred, or demonstrated equivalent experience
- RSA Archer BC Tool experience is a plus
- Demonstrated strong skills in applying Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery planning principles to various levels (staff, management and executive) of the company.
- Demonstrated human relation skills to effectively interact with peers, subordinates, internal and external customers and vendors.
- Excellent interpersonal, organization, analytical, problem solving, communication, and prioritization skills
- Demonstrated ability to influence and motivate individuals and teams.
- Advanced presentation skills and oral and written communication skills
- Excellent project management skills, which include task identification, project planning, and ability to understand scope of recovery efforts, ability to coordinate critical activities during continuity exercises and events, and proficiency with tools required to pull project together.
- Advanced analytical skills
- Self starter with the ability to work independently.
- Fully proficient with Microsoft Office applications, including (but not limited to) Word, Excel, Access, Visio, and PowerPoint
- May require evening or weekend work
- Crisis situations may require longer than normal work days and weeks
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.