Here are sample job advertisements for Business Intelligence roles…
Business Intelligence Analyst
- Design, build, test and maintain scalable and stable off the shelf application or custom built technology solutions to meet business needs
- Design and develop highly visual, interactive, and layered Business Intelligence solutions using Tableau and Business Objects.
- Responsible for data preparation, data blending, the creation of data models /sets using various applications including ‘app’ development.
- Develop production reports originating from the Data Warehouse to be used by the business for ongoing analytical and strategic operation plans.
- Triage requests, gather user requirements and facilitate ad hoc report and data requests with a quick turn-around.
- Define and document processes, best practices, and strategies for existing and future BI solutions, optimizing business efficiencies as it relates to process improvement.
- Leverage extensive datasets and various statistical software applications to develop and execute strategic quantitative analysis
- Investigate and report on complex data interactions to help identify and address our clients’ key strategic business opportunities
- Act as a liaison between business users, management and application system IT support.
- Interface with Data Warehouse and Architectural staff to provide data requirements to support ongoing BI initiative.
- Perform other job related functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Arts or Science, with emphasis in computer science, communication, economics, data analytics or a related field.
- Masters in Computer Science a plus.
- Must possess advanced background in Microsoft Office and advanced Excel.
- Technical knowledge in T-SQL or PL/SQL programming languages
- Experience with Tableau and Business Objects
- Excellent database skills
- Excellent problem solving, quantitative and analytical skills
- In depth technical knowledge and ability to learn new technologies
- Project management, scheduling and planning
- Team player, excellent communication skills
- Must be able to interact with senior management and collect requirements
- Must be able to lead a team, use judgment and operate under ambiguity
- Motivated, self-starter, strong work ethic
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
Business Intelligence Manager
What you’ll be doing…
With your analytical, big data and reporting expertise, you will deliver business value through business intelligence reporting and analytics by driving insights to actions. One way you will accomplish this is by developing analytical views of data utilizing various BI tools such as Tableau, Kibana, PowerBI, Qlik, and proprietary web-based applications. You’ll also connect various data locations to stage data before visualizations. The business insights and recommendations you provide will help to improve performance.
This is a Business Data Modeling & Analytics position in the Analytics Team within Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) which involves understanding, analyzing, modeling and communicating performance metrics across the Telecom Consumer Organization. Your primary responsibility will be the development of forecast models to drive improved business performance in multiple areas. You will analyze complex marketing problems from many angles to recommend optimal strategies or corrections to the plan. You will also be creating presentations for operations reviews, monthly meetings, etc referencing multiple data sources and needed.
- Developing Excel analytical and forecast models to project the impact of strategic business decisions as required.
- Handling analytical inquiries, data pulls and working with large data sets using the following systems: OLAP cubes, IM Web, Vz.Ai., Teradata, Excel spreadsheets and other ad hoc reports.
- Creating and maintaining PowerPoint presentations in a standardized format. Meeting key presentation and operations review deadlines for analytics inputs.
- Strategizing, overseeing, documenting, resource planning and defining scope on multiple projects with evolving timelines.
- Working cross-functionally within the group as well as other PLM and finance teams to bring together the relevant parties to solve analytical questions.
- Backfilling other analytics team members and picking up other analysis tasks as needed.
- Correlating unit/functional performance with revenue and vs. targets.
What we’re looking for…
You are good with numbers and you love to dig into data to find the story. Designing predictive Excel models is a fun afternoon for you. You’re able to translate numbers into compelling stories-and tailor your presentation and recommendations to the audience function and level to meet their needs. You are detail-oriented and know how to focus on what really matters. You have a knack for understanding and visualizing just the right way to share data and practical insights so that people can understand. You enjoy aligning various work streams to ensure the same vision and goal is achieved.
You will need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, marketing, information systems, analytics/business intelligence, engineering, mathematics, statistics, other related discipline or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
- Experience using excel to develop analytical reports/models.
- Experience with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Experience with Teradata/Oracle/MS SQL Server and analyze data sets using SQL.
- Experience with Tableau or similar analysis tools.
Even better if you have:
- A degree.
- Demonstrated solid PowerPoint skills with the ability to create quality presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic environment and manage multiple and often conflicting deadlines.
- Solid understanding of how financial performance effects business strategy and objectives.
- In-depth knowledge of data sources within Verizon data warehouse and BI systems/metrics.
- Demonstrated strong project management skills.
- Experience investigating and solving complex technical problems and data discrepancies.
- Worked with Business Intelligence systems to provide diagnostic self-serve information to clients and business units.
- Knowledge of MDX /queries and using OLAP.
- Ability to lead and facilitate cross functional teams of managers and directors to gain consensus and execute to deliver results.
- Demonstrated capability to communicate complex information in a way that people understand – whether verbal or written.
- Willingness to work extended hours as needed.
When you join Verizon…
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees’ differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Project Employee, Business Intelligence & Analytics
The NBA is seeking a candidate like you for the position of Business Intelligence and Analytics. As part of Customer Data Strategy, you would help craft business reporting solutions through Tableau that provide visibility into fan experiences across Viewership, Game Attendance, Digital Engagement and Retail, Ticket and League Pass Transactions.
- Handle an evolving suite of business-critical dashboards used to help inform decision-making
- Work across departments to grow the internal usage of the reporting suite; ensure relevance of tracked critical metrics for Senior Leadership and other key constituents
- Identify additional business questions that new NBA dashboards should answer and then partner with internal departments to build data that feeds Tableau and meets requirements
- Work with and coordinate multiple data sources while integrating advanced data sets into the selected data visualization tool
- Work with technical partners to automate data flows and reduce reliance on manual data development
- Partner with cross-functional team to share regular actionable insights to improve business performance
- Oversee multiple partner requests and project activities at any one time to ensure accurate, timely and efficient reporting deliverables
Required Experience & Knowledge:
- 2 to 4 years of experience working directly with clients to determine needs and with technical colleagues to ensure the proper data is sourced, transformed and automated
- Proven ability to tell a story through data that influences key business decisions and leads to action
- Minimum 2 years of strong skills in dashboard development and front-end visualizations using Tableau
- Experience working with Tableau Server a plus
- Experience with SQL required
- Demonstrated Project Management skills
- Ability to work through ambiguity to meet project deadlines
- Explicit experience forming relationships and collaborating across a cross-functional group of business and functional areas
Educational Background Required:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree, or a degree in Business, Marketing, Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related discipline
- Experience with R Studio a plus; Experience working with digital clickstream analytics tools such and Adobe Analytics or Google Analytics a plus
We have combined industrial hardware, wireless connectivity, and big data architecture into one simple platform so all manufacturers can analyze and optimize their production, from any device. Efficiency, sustainability, and competitiveness are democratized.
Why We Do It:
We like to enable those who make things – to make more, to waste less, to serve their customers, and to thrive in a competitive world. Help enough makers, and the world can give us all the abundance we want for less cost and environmental impact. We’re on the verge of a 4th industrial revolution that begs for absolute efficiency in all factors of life. We plan to deliver that to everyone who makes things. Check out some of our team members discussing life at Oden: Oden’s Culture of Empowerment and Impact
- Are able to empathize with others and distill a mission into communications and strategic campaigns.
- Care about the mission of the product and company.
- Have a curious mind and excited about learning more about the industrial world and manufacturing.
- Innovative. You are not afraid to tackle new projects and take creative risks.
- Live by transparent and scientific thinking. You put in the work to find the best ideas with those around you, without ego.
As Oden’s Business Intelligence Analyst, you will work directly with the Chief Operating Officer to identify key data points that influence decision making in the company’s operations through the management of and creation of unique operational reports and dashboards. This role will be crucial to Oden’s operations and will play an important part in how we scale as the company continues to grow.
- Query, refine and manage large data sets from multiple sources such as our proprietary operational platform, our CRM tool, etc.
- Gather intelligence on key operational and financial metrics
- Collaborate with company executives, sales team and operational team members to understand processes, identify strategic objectives and create unique operational reports and dashboards that track execution success
- Respond to direct requests for data and reporting from Chief Operating Officer and other senior-level executives
- Use data to illustrate information stories in various mediums (Google Sheets, Tableau, etc.) that aid in the development of key strategic initiatives and generate clear insights shared with company executives, industry professionals, and prospective investors
- Ability to merge / combine mixed data from disparate sources
- Ability to query reports from SQL databases or familiarity with relational database concepts
- Strong Excel skills
- Knowledge generating financial, sales, and other operational reports
- Experience with scripting languages, such as Python or R, or visualization software, such as Tableau or Qlik, will be taken into consideration
What We Offer You:
- Measurable impact on the world and the chance to help real people – family businesses, entrepreneurs, engineers.
- Exposure to many tech disciplines, most of which are rapidly evolving.
- A bridge between the physical and cloud worlds of tech. Our platform unites big data visualizations with sensors and heavy industrial equipment.
- A platform that has the potential to evolve beyond what we have envisioned now.
- Scientific and transparent thinking, for everyone involved.
- Backing by world leaders of both industry and tech that will ensure long term growth and development for us.
We’re an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Diversity at Oden means building a team that is rich across all boundaries of race, ethnicity, gender identification, sexual orientation, disability, religion, age and thinking style. We welcome all backgrounds, life experiences, and worldviews as this is the catalyst for the rapid evolution of our product and our organization. Diversity allows us to tackle new challenges, embrace change, make well-informed decisions, and ultimately Make Things Better. In alignment with our “People First” company value, Oden has a passionate internal team dedicated to the promotion of diversity and inclusion initiatives as a core component of our culture.
Our diversity initiatives apply to our practices and policies on recruiting, compensation and benefits; professional development; promotions; social activities and the ongoing development of a psychologically safe work environment.