Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role:
Actuary, Corporate Pricing & Planning
Liberty Mutual has become a complex and global company, and as a result transparency and consistency have become more difficult, but also more critical. Pricing & Planning is a new area created in Corporate Actuarial charged with bringing a higher level of transparency to Executive Leadership around planning and pricing risk, and how the financial decisions we make interconnect across LMG. As such, the group will have visibility and access across all of Liberty Mutual and its wide diversity of segments and operations.
We are looking for motivated and experienced insurance and actuarial professionals to join our team and assist in building out this key capability. This is a unique opportunity to influence the strategic direction of Liberty Mutual and be exposed to a wide variety of operations and actuarial approaches. As a member of the Pricing & Planning function within Corporate Actuarial, you will assist in evaluating and advancing pricing and planning quality and capabilities across the business units of Liberty Mutual and providing transparency to executive leaders. In this role you will:
Work with Chief Actuary, Pricing & Planning and business units, to investigate the pricing and planning methodologies across Liberty Mutual, evaluate their implications and consistency, and recommend changes to business leaders.
Conduct independent reviews of key segments, methodologies and assumptions.
Coordinate and help to drive adequacy, consistency, and transparency of key assumptions and methodologies, such as trend and return frameworks.
Apply an understanding of the business implications and influence the course of actions taken.
Consult with business leaders, staff and other groups regarding actuarial, financial, strategic, business planning, and other matters.
Direct and contribute to complex cross-functional and organizational projects having broad impact for business decision-making.
Contribute to the setting of standards and models for best practices relating to pricing and planning processes, tools, monitors, and implementations.
Support large actuarial projects that may be outside of regular responsibilities.
Direct, coordinate and support activity between large Actuarial groups and operating units and across SBUs, i.e. pricing standards and planning assumptions.
Regularly interact with business leaders and other business partners, on both actuarial and non-actuarial topics.
Support development of the Liberty Mutual pricing strategy, standards and practices.
Become expert on matters relating to pricing and planning for assigned areas and advise Corporate Actuarial leadership and other business leaders.
Conduct independent assessments of the adequacy of pricing tools, approaches and strategies.
Performs independent reviews for key planning segments, assessing the appropriateness of key assumptions, methodologies, and controls used for loss ratio planning.
Conduct research and development on topics including pricing and planning methodologies.
Stay abreast of competitors’ pricing strategies and methodologies.
Contribute to development and maintenance of policies and procedures that advance our Actuarial pricing and planning capabilities company-wide.
Strong analytical skills with solid understanding of all casualty actuarial techniques, standards, and assumptions.
Strong knowledge of insurance operations, procedures and P&C insurance business.
Experienced and knowledgeable actuarial viewpoint in a wide variety of actuarial subjects, and in company, industry, and regulatory practices. Knowledge should include data, methodologies, systems and platforms.
Demonstrated ability to exchange ideas and convey complex information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing.
Demonstrated ability to anticipate areas of management concern, integrate different perspectives, and respond accordingly.
Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills required to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization.
Ability to give effective training and presentations to management and other groups.
Demonstrated ability to organize, lead, and get work done through others.
Demonstrated ability to exert influence over senior managers, operating managers, and others on matters of importance to the SBU.
Ability to navigate and willingness to work ambiguous situations.
Americo is currently hiring for a Modeling Actuary. Ideal candidate is near ASA through FSA. This position is tasked with providing support to the AVP, Actuarial Valuation. They will maintain, validate, and update company models as they apply to corporate planning, pricing, cash-flow analysis, asset/liability matching, and/or financial reporting. They will also design, maintain, monitor, and improve any supporting programs and databases.
- Maintain and support models from projection, valuation, and/or pricing.
- Develop and price life and annuity products.
- Provide accurate data from projection and/or valuation systems.
- Direct the collection and analysis of data necessary to support pricing models.
- Special Projects as directed by management.
- Analyze and enhance current systems, as needed.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, and EXPERIENCE:
- Experience with Principal-Based Reserves.
- Knowledge of modeling software (Prophet preferred).
- General knowledge of life insurance industry and practices.
- Knowledge of actuarial guidelines and Code of Professional Conduct.
- Knowledge of applicable laws and regulations.
- Knowledge of products including indexed annuities, simplified issue and fully underwritten term, UL, and/or Medicare supplement.
- Knowledge of products and pricing parameters in marketplace.
- Knowledge of GAAP and STAT accounting and audit procedures.
- Ability to solve problems/analyze/reconcile results.
- Ability to work with Microsoft Excel, Word and SQL Server.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and implement changes.
- Ability to work well in a team and independently.
- Project management and follow-up skills.
Four-year college education
Other (Please specify): ASA or FSA
Job Type: Full-time
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Tuition reimbursement
Who are we?
A strong, trusted insurance partner, Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI) provides a broad range of commercial property, casualty and specialty insurance coverages and outstanding service to customers around the globe. Part of Berkshire Hathaway’s insurance operations, we bring our solutions to market with our stellar brand name, top-rated balance sheet, and the expertise of our global team of professionals with excellent capabilities and character. Want to be part of the team building the finest property, casualty and specialty lines insurance company in the world?
BHSI is seeking an experienced and talented Associate Actuary to join our State Affairs team. This position is ideally based in Boston, MA but other BHSI office locations including New York and Chicago will be considered for the right candidate. The State Affairs team supports BHSI’s admitted platform holistically to ensure profitable and compliant products are built, filed, implemented, monitored, reported and maintained. We are looking for an individual who has a high level of accountability, sense of urgency, attention to detail and excellence of character. Our culture is fast-paced, challenging, ever-changing yet rewarding. This position will be a great fit for an outside-the-box problem solver who is self-motivated, adaptable, positive and collaborative.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Ownership, Development and Maintenance of:
- Rating algorithms, rates, and rating plans of new and existing admitted products that ensure BHSI is profitable, compliant and relevant in a rapidly changing competitive landscape
- All supporting filing exhibits, transmittals and objection responses that will secure timely approvals countrywide
- Compliant Excel pricing tools for new/existing products and working with IT to ensure proper system rating and data requirements are created, tested and implemented
- Profitability metrics and reporting including but not limited to rate indications and book monitoring dashboards that proactively gauge the health of the business
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- 4+ years of experience
- ACAS or near ACAS
- 1+ year of rate filing / product development experience
- Experience with implementing/validating rating engines
- ISO/AAIS bureau product knowledge is strongly preferred (e.g.: Commercial Auto, Commercial GL, Commercial Property, Inland Marine, Commercial Crime etc.)
- Advanced multi-tasking and prioritization skills to manage rapidly shifting projects effectively
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to proactively work in a team environment as well as independently
We are a B2B smart payment platform. We create superior user experiences and loyalty to new levels. As an Insurtech company, we use technology to disrupt the travel insurance industry.
We are looking to hire an experienced Travel Insurance Actuary/Underwriter to join our growing team in Miami. If you’re dedicated and ambitious, our company is a great place to grow your career. Apply now!
- Apply mathematical and statistical methods to assess risk in our Travel Insurance product as it relates to, amongst others, claims and premiums
- Analyze and report to management on the movements in embedded value of the business and the recommended actions to maximize value
- Monitor and analyze the profitability of new business to advise on changes required to the pricing to meet targets
- Develop model office capabilities, in particular for new products, this may include making and testing changes to models, stress testing new assumptions and providing a clear audit trail of work
- Develop, maintain, and analyze projection models
- Monitor the quality of data used in the valuation and facilitate the resolution process
- Reconcile and analyze travel insurance product inputs and outputs
- Establish valuation procedures and document them for internal use
- Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics, Statistics, Actuarial Science, or related field (no Actuary Certification necessary)
- 3 – 5 years actuarial experience
- Advanced Microsoft Excel and Access skills
- Strong familiarity with GAAP
- Proficient at working with large data sets
- High degree of attention to detail
We value our employees’ time and efforts. Our commitment to your success is enhanced by our competitive compensation and an extensive benefits package including paid time off, medical, dental and vision benefits and future growth opportunities within the company. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees, where people can learn and grow with the company. We strive to provide a collaborative, creative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.