Here are sample job advertisements for Visitor / Guest Services roles…
The Ruth Mott Foundation is accepting applications for a full time Manager of Visitor Services at Applewood Estate in Flint, Michigan. The Ruth Mott Foundation is a non-profit philanthropic organization offering grants and programs that serve the Flint community. The Foundation also owns and operates Applewood: The Charles Stewart Mott Estate to demonstrate and support its mission. The estate consists of award-winning gardens, historic buildings, and collections of art, artifacts, archives and photographs and is open to the public May through October.
Job Purpose: Oversees the strategy and operations of visitor services and volunteer functions at Applewood Estate. Serves as the primary visitor experience advocate while simultaneously promoting the welfare of the Foundation. Collaborates across the organization to ensure that all visitors experience excellent customer service and a welcoming atmosphere that supports the Foundation’s goals for engaging visitor experiences and equity, inclusion, diversity and access.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees and manages the daily visitor experience operations for open hours at Applewood Estate (Applewood is open May – October, Thursday-Sunday).
- Produces, communicates and maintains effective procedural guidelines related to visitor services and recommend improvements and changes when necessary to the Director of Collections and Education.
- Ensures the appropriate deployment of all Applewood resources to ensure an excellent, engaging and welcoming experience for all visitors (including scheduling, informational materials and signage, field trip resources, visitor and volunteer accommodations.)
- Working with Assistant Manager of Visitor Services & Volunteers, Education and Security staff, creates, facilitates and manages training for staff and volunteers in the areas of site content, safety procedures, customer service, equity, inclusion and accessibility.
- Works with Assistant Manager of Visitor Services & Volunteers to ensure that overall structure of volunteer program supports institutional goals and needs.
- Supports Assistant Manager of Visitor Services & Volunteers in conducting orientation sessions to share foundation vision, mission and values, set expectations, explain policies and safety procedures for Applewood to volunteers.
- Collaborates with appropriate staff to recommend on-site signage, wayfinding and other forms of communication to help guide and inform visitors.
- Oversees all tour and field trip scheduling and coordination in conjunction with Assistant Manager of Visitor Services & Volunteers and Education staff.
- Works with appropriate staff to identify visitor data needs and metrics. Responsible for overseeing the creation of systems for gathering, analyzing and sharing visitor data.
- Monitors staff performance and conducts performance appraisals.
- Develops and manages the Visitor Services budget. Oversees development of volunteer budget.
- Assists with development and implementation of Applewood’s Master Plan particularly related to the visitor experience.
- Seeks professional development and networks with other agencies to explore and be informed of best practices processes and relevant technologies for visitor services and volunteer management.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- · Bachelor’s degree or a combination of related education and experience.
- · Strong leader with a minimum of five years of experience in a museum, cultural institution or visitor attraction setting.
- · Minimum of two years of supervisory experience, preferably with visitor services staff and volunteers.
- Excellent understanding of customer services standards.
- Comfortable with public speaking and experience writing communications, preparing and delivering presentations, trainings, and written materials.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability for making responsible independent judgments and decisions, positively resolving issues and people first mind set.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, familiarity with volunteer management and scheduling software.
- Working knowledge of visitor evaluation methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, manage and motivate others.
- A solid understanding of community engagement or direct experience working collaboratively with individuals from all sectors of the community and a commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $56,400.00 to $67,700.00 /hour
The Guest Services Director is an exempt (salary) position reporting to the Senior Director of Operations. The Guest Services Director is an experienced member of management who will lead the guest service and hospitality initiatives of the institution. The Director is the head coach, cheerleader and role model for superior guest service understanding, training and promoting the philosophies that museum guests come first and their excellent experience is the top priority of all staff and volunteers that interact with them.
In addition to the role of institutional leader for service excellence, primary management responsibilities include oversight of the admission, membership, and ticketing operations (including the group greeting process), and management of the coin op machines (lockers, vending machines, etc.) and VR revenue experiences. All management efforts are focused to ensure efficient procedures and processes, to meet revenue and attendance targets, and to create a welcoming, visitor-friendly first impression for guests.
In addition to overseeing the Admissions, Group Reservations, and Membership functions, the Guest Services Director directly manages the Guest Services Manager, Group Reservations Supervisor, and the Membership Manager.
Admissions and Ticketing
Through partnership with Information Technology, become one of the Tessitura (POS ticketing system) institution “super users” with the ability to change pricing, ticketing configurations and other POS needs.
By directing the Guest Services Manager, meet service excellence objectives through staff interactions on an ongoing basis.
Ensure through the direction of the Guest Services Manager, that the admissions and ticketing functions are well hired, fully trained and staffed for appropriate attendance levels, and that work schedules support the flow of guest traffic.
In partnership with the Group Reservations Department and the Labs Department, manage the group check-in process to ensure proper greeting and distribution of daily group arrivals. Explore new ways to make this experience easier and more fun while communicating operational rules.
Schedule management coverage appropriately so that either the Director or the Manager is always in on any operational day.
Manage and ensure that all Guest Services staff follows proper procedures for cash management, accurate and timely reporting, internal auditing systems, and security procedures.
Hold staff meetings as necessary to ensure proper communication and follow-up of goals.
In conjunction with the Managers create and follow an annual budget for staffing and revenue that includes tactical plans, efficiency improvement plans, and goals for the fiscal year.
Oversee the Group Reservations function including sales and bookings. Provide mentoring and direction for the Group Reservations supervisor.
Support Memberships Direct response traffic management—Develops and directs strategies driving integrated mail, on-line, and telephone campaigns to acquire, upgrade, and renew members.
Works with the Member Reporting and data analysis—Generates reports to measure results of membership campaigns, and overall membership retention and growth. Monitors progress towards revenue goal and provides reports for senior management.
Be knowledgeable of The Tech Museum’s mission, programs, and exhibits.
Work with Membership to support Birthday Parties and or Member events as needed or scheduled.
Support Membership program management — On implementing best strategies in stewardship, renewal and upgrading of current members; acquiring new members and visitor conversion.
Work with Manager to evaluate effectiveness of current membership program services, benefits, and policies, relating to retention and acquisition of members on a regular basis. Recommends, designs, and implements changes to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
Interface with product providing vendors and service organizations to ensure consistent product mix and service up-time on equipment.
Monitor coin-op sales and service to meet per cap goals and to investigate new product possibilities.
Work with the team on VR Birdly Experience maintaining revenue goal.
Explore new ways to generate revenue.
Participate in a rotating manager-of-the-day schedule where you will provide leadership in the operation of The Tech during the hours open to the public.
Understanding of how to provide coaching for service excellence through product delivery, staff interaction, and consistency in all operations.
Understanding and working knowledge of basic computer (Microsoft Office).
Ability to act as museum leader for service training and implantation.
Three+ years of Museum operations experience highly desirable. Prior customer service management experience in a daily operational setting.
Proven ability to manage multiple direct reports through hiring, training, direction, discipline, and retention programs.
Knowledge of computer systems and understanding of cash handling procedures and ticketing POS systems.
Proven ability to work effectively in a team environment, to set and meet goals, and manage projects to completion with minimal supervision.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Detail-oriented with the ability to work with financial reports and daily balancing.
Ability to develop and meet financial targets and annual budget, including labor management.
Ability to multi-task different departments and projects while keeping organized and being a good role model for subordinates.
Familiarity with the Tessitura Database Management System a plus.
Willingness to work weekend days regularly plus some evenings and holidays.
Ability to adhere to The Tech’s grooming guidelines
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Surveys and recommends solutions or policy changes to greater enhance the visitor experience. Develops policies and procedures related to all aspects of the visitor experience cross-departmentally and in conjunction with Senior Staff to implement strategies to enhance the visitor experience campus-wide.
- Recommends changes to Ringling website, online ticketing, and other visitor informational tools as appropriate. Incumbent would be required to work occasional weekends and attend evening and weekend events.
- Supervises Admissions, Museum Stores, and Historic Asolo Theater Box Office and Front of House staff. Includes hiring, training, discipline, and performance evaluations. Interviews, trains, and assigns volunteers as needed. Participates in the development and presentation of staff customer service and front line training.
- Develops strategies for analyzing Ringling audience. Recommends and implements visitor surveys, capture and reporting strategies and methods and reports such findings to Senior Staff on a regular basis.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Ability to prioritize, organize and perform multiple work assignments simultaneously.
Ability to meet physical requirements as determined by position. Must be able to walks significant distances around the 66 acre estate and climb and descend stairs.
Ability to gather, interpret, report, and/or edit information and to evaluate process effectiveness and develop change or alternatives.
Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Please note, 3 professional references must be provided when applying (phone and/or email is acceptable) and would be contacted should you be interviewed.
Knowledge of Tessitura.
Anticipated Salary Range
Purposes of Position:
Manage staff, visitor centers and gift shop operations to inspire visitors to stay and travel throughout Lane County. Must be a team player with leadership skills who is service-oriented, organized, responsible and energetic.
- Manage Visitor Services staff by facilitating personnel-related tasks such as scheduling, training, performing reviews and maintaining performance and productivity standards
- Generate and analyze reports
- Develop and maintain organizational systems and processes
- Responsible for facilities upkeep and maintenance with help from maintenance and cleaning services
- Assist Visitor Center/Retail Manager with all aspects of a small gift shop including displays, inventory, point of sales, procedures, and reporting
- Model excellent customer service and an exceptional work ethic
- Develop tools for frontline training and oversee delivery of trainings
- Help visitors plan trips, book accommodations and schedule recreational activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience managing staff
- Experience with developing and maintaining organizational systems
- Process-oriented, extreme attention to detail, hyper-organized and able to multi-task and manage time
- Exceptional customer service with a genuine desire to help
- Passion for and knowledge of Lane County’s recreational, culinary and cultural offerings
- Ability to work easily & professionally with a variety of visitors and coworkers
- Loyalty to and positive representation of Travel Lane County
- Clear written and oral communication, including on the phone
- Able to handle a fast-paced customer service environment
- Proficient with basic computer programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, Internet)
- Accurate data entry