Here are sample job advertisements for these roles…
Graphics Packaging Design Director
Founded 40 years ago, Gibson Overseas has become a leader in the Tabletop and Housewares industry. We are an award-winning, fourth generation, privately-owned company with headquarters in Los Angeles. Gibson is a leading Dinnerware, Glassware, Cookware, Cutlery manufacturer, selling to the majority of USA retailers, as well as a notable global presence – with a portfolio of legacy and licensed brands.
The Graphics Packaging Design Director is responsible for leading the design and development of Gibson’s color packaging, driving brands with new innovative design concepts. Lead a team of graphic designers and copywriters to create eye-catching designs.
Manage the graphics packaging design process from start to finish
Duties include design project assignments, individual design projects, gift box packaging, licensed designs, company brands and trade show projects
Work with Sales Team and retailers to understand the product packaging needs from design perspective
Accomplishes department objectives by managing graphics staff by planning, monitoring and evaluating department activities
Collaborate with Sales, Marketing and Operations teams to keep up with deadlines
Manage the packaging design projects with the team of graphic designers and copywriters to create eye-catching designs
Present innovative designs, meeting the style guide requirement for company & Licensed brands
Reports to the VP of Creative
Bachelor’s degree, design-related
Minimum of 7 years’ experience in a fast paced creative environment in a similar role within the consumer packaged goods industry
Graphic Design experience required
Experience in creating fashionable and eye catching product packaging
Keen eye for FASHION, trends and design
Ability to prioritize work in a fast-paced environment
Innovative, Creative thinker and excellent computer skills
Adobe Creative Suite, Illustrator, Acrobat, Photoshop and Mac-proficient
Based in Los Angeles, corporate headquarters
At Kids II, we’re really good at what we do. And when we’re great at our jobs, we help parents be great at their jobs.
Parenting is demanding, and that’s where we come in. We want to reimagine how brands can make it easier for early stage parents – not by just selling them products, but by providing holistic solutions that transcend borders, categories and aisles.
No matter our title or department, at Kids II, our job is to create more tiny wins for parents, so they can create bright futures for their little ones. That’s a big task!
We’re serious about what we do, AND we love to have fun. Our team is hardworking, entrepreneurial, and passionate about helping families create millions, if not billions of tiny wins.
The Director, Packaging Design is responsible for managing package graphic design, production and photography retouching and package design operations to support the company’s strategic business goals. This role ensures execution of both strategic design and production functions, with working knowledge of phases of the design process including creative design, photography, legal aspects of packaging. Also, this person has an understanding of package construction and package manufacturing in US and Asia. In addition, he/she coordinates with outside vendors, internal brand managers, and various cross-functional teams to ensure that packaging is produced to our standards under specific deadlines.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Work with cross-functional departments to develop innovative packaging designs and collaborate with package engineers in the process.
- Execute on brand design based on brand tool kits and current trends that meet the standards of our internal brands and licensed partners.
- Responsible for understanding the competitive landscape of best in class package design within our industry as well as outside our industry.
- Oversee the development of production management and scheduling process that will be successful in a fast-paced consumer products environment.
- Direct outside package design functions—including the scheduling and artistic direction of photo requirements, international translations and managing outside vendor relationships.
- Key contact with international office for packaging-related issues with vendors.
- Responsible for monitoring department expenditures and managing the budget for all aspects of package development.
- Responsible for gaining approval for all creative work through executive channels.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- 8+ years of experience
- Experience with custom and stock componentry
- Working knowledge of global packaging regulations and requirements
EDUCATION & SKILLS
- BS/BA or MA in Package Engineering (preferred) or equivalent technical degree such as Industrial Design or Chemical Engineering with packaging experience
- Establish positive vendor relationships
- Extremely detail-oriented
- Strong communication skills
- Strategic thinker who blends strong analytics, creativity and curiosity
- Strong work ethic and can-do attitude
- Problem solving and entrepreneurial in nature
- Ability to manage multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Strong team player
- Thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Ability to travel
- Adobe Creative Suite — InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop + Acrobat
- Microsoft Office — PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
Veritiv is a Fortune 500, business-to-business packaging company. From start-ups to over 80% of the Fortune 500 companies, Veritiv provides unique, scalable packaging and design-driven solutions. The Design Services group consists of design, engineering, testing and project management professionals, partnering together on a global scale to deliver exceptional customer experiences. The Design Services team seeks out talented individuals that have a passion for design, and are looking to build a great career.
The Packaging Design Senior Designer is responsible for taking a leadership role in packaging design-related projects to support the company’s strategic business goals. These projects center mostly around packaging development. Positive team engagement and motivation is a primary focus of this role. As a senior designer serving our customers, this person will be expected to bring thought leadership to projects, identify opportunities and review other designers’ projects. They will collaborate with their functional partners to work through projects from concept to completion.
• Develop design-driven solutions to solve for business opportunities
• Stay on top of trends and motivate team to do so as well
• Stay current with software updates, industry standards and technology developments
• Reflect marketplace and design trends in work
• Work with team members and project managers to prioritize projects and workload
• Prepare for large upcoming projects and changes in workload
• Work with functional and cross-functional partners to help develop strategy
• Provide design-related sales support
• Work with external customer teams to ensure project success
• Ability to work independently as well as on a team
• Review/approve production-ready art
• Conduct creative sessions with team members to kick off new initiatives
• Guide team members throughout the creative process
• Present work to internal groups and customers
• Work with team members in developing presentations
• Develop art direction
• Ensure projects are aligning to strategy
• Design quality solutions on time and within budget
• Meet with customers to help sell design capabilities and custom solutions
• Interpret customer feedback and offer appropriate solutions
Qualifications/Knowledge & Experience:
• Bachelors degree in related field
• 5+ years of experience in des ign (or relevant level of talent + experience)
• Microsoft Office
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong presentation skills
• Positive and motivational
• Detail oriented
• Goal oriented
• Ability to plan / prioritize activities
• Ability to build trust with the team and partners
• Ability to handle multiple tasks and challenging assignment simultaneously
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Strong understanding of:
– design principles
– retail & e-commence design
– packaging design
– retail display and fixture design
• Basic understanding of packaging qualification standards (ISTA, ASTM)
• Understanding of print production
• Understanding of industrial design and engineering
• Ability to understand a business opportunity and how to align design-driven solutions to it
Typical office and warehouse conditions
- Create new innovative concepts and strong storytelling for the promotions marketing area through unique and dynamic themes, design ideas and packaging, continuing to evolve and surprise and delight our consumer.
- Oversee and manage the production of promotional packaging design for all Estée Lauder Promotional programs, including promotional product design for all (secondaries, vehicles and primary packaging), line extensions, GWP/PWP/ seasonal bag design, collaborations, limited life programs and Holiday gift sets for Fragrance, Skincare and Makeup. A total of over 500 programs
- Ensure all programs reflect and enhance the prestige image of the Estée Lauder brand, while also ensuring disruption and impact at POS
- Source and utilize outside vendors, artists and designers.
- Work closely with our designer on Asia, providing clear direction and feedback for all Asia specific program launches
- Work directly with outside vendors on all Seasonal bag development: Print Development, Color Standards, Bag Construction and Detailing
- Ensure all packaging artwork is approved on timely basis
- Maintain awareness of departmental budget – monitor and track accordingly
- Oversee Assistant Manager and Associate as well as any freelance support
- Present and drive weekly status report meetings with Executive Director of Design and VP of Promo Marketing
- Work with designers and freelancers to create and maintain an organized library of designs, resources and materials, and utilize effectively for new programs
- Assist in prep for senior management meetings including swipe and mood boards
- Travel, as needed, to approve production standards for all packaging elements
- Minimum 7 years relevant work experience in a creative environment
- Preferred cosmetics, accessories, advertising or design experience with a luxury brand
- Undergraduate College degree required
- Strong interpersonal skills, self-starter and creative resolution skills
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Possess the ability to handle a multitude of projects in a timely manner
- Superior organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office applications – Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint a plus
- Proficient in current industry standard computer skills
- MAC Environment – Adobe suite
Job: Creative / Design
Primary Location: Americas-US-NY-New York
Job Type: Standard
Shift: 1st (Day) Shift
Job Number: 203102
We are an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. It is Company’s policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, age, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions), gender identity or gender expression (including transgender status), sexual orientation, marital status, military service and veteran status, physical or mental disability, protected medical condition as defined by applicable state or local law, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local laws and ordinances. The Company will endeavor to provide a reasonable accommodation consistent with the law to otherwise qualified employees and prospective employees with a disability and to employees and prospective employees with needs related to their religious observance or practices. Should you wish to apply for this position or any other position with the Company and you believe you require assistance to complete an application or participate in an interview, please contact USApplicantAccommodations@Estee.com.