Here are sample job advertisements for Merchandiser roles…
The Merchandiser’s objective is to plan, manage, and execute the product assortment for all vertical distribution points of the MMK RTW line. This role will be responsible for being intimately familiar with the competitive landscape, writing seasonal line plans and analyzing the business to ensure continued growth. He/She will interface with cross-functional teams to align and deliver a product mix consistent with brand strategy and the Company’s financial objectives. This person will need to have strong verbal and communication skills as they will be responsible for working with global sales channels, production, product development, tech & design and to help build the collection each season. In addition to attention to detail and business acumen this person will need a passion for product and an eye for trend that is brand right.
- Analyze business to accurately articulate best and worst sellers and transform business hindsight into strategy for seasonal line plan building
- Create seasonal industry trend recaps to ensure the product offering continues to stay elevated and reactionary to appropriate trends in the market
- Partner with planning to create and review seasonal hindsight and provide ongoing competitive market analysis from research
- Create seasonal line plan to develop a product mix that is balanced, addresses both current trends and customer needs as well as achieves financial objectives
- Evaluate historical customer characteristics by analyzing retail and direct sales results to identify opportunities for category expansion
- Adhere to the merchandise calendar to achieve timely deliveries and planned product flow
- Partner closely with production to understand the costing break down of RTW and margin implications
- Work with Design to ensure proper assortments are created, as well as ordering and tracking showroom samples
- Establish and maintain each style in the RLM system, have UPC’s created, impute all units’ authorizations
- Continually meet/communicate with Design, Sales and Production to establish strong information flow to better the quality and product needed at retail
- Establish pricing strategy of product mix to achieve margin goals with deep understanding of competitive landscape, customer knowledge and brand positioning
- Act as the hub between the channels of production, design, tech & the sales channels
- Present seasonal product strategies and assortments to global sales and buying team
- Prepare and deliver internal market presentations, and product presentations supporting the seasonal creative and business goals
- Communicate effectively any and all changes/additions/cancellations to all departments to ensure clear information flow throughout the company
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- 4-6 years of experience
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and PLM systems
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, high-energy environment
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to communicate confidently with senior-level leadership
- Understanding of Business planning/analysis and the merchandising department’s responsibility to the overall budget
- Must have knowledge of fabric, fit, and garment construction as well as a strong instinct for color and print
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/D/F/V
- Analyze and distribute all Fashion selling reports to Sales, Design and Production
- Maintain sample catalogue and best sellers presentation; consistently maintain
- Replenishment assortment presentation
- Communicate all line changes via memo to Sales, Design, Tech and Production
- Recap selling for each of the fashion groups after they have been active for 12 weeks
- Review selling and line plans with Design for future development
- Maintain Yearly Recap of all Fashion Purchases for Division President and Sales
- Work with Div President and VP Sales to review assortments vs line plan draft
- Photograph grid presentations for distribution to Sales
- Create Style numbers & product attributes PLM to publish the Linelist in PLM & ACS/AS400
- Work with Design and Production to confirm all fabrics and pricing
- Prepare showroom for sales to work
- Collect and update booking data to create and maintain fashion buys
- Share the buy information with Design, Tech and Production
- Maintain Style Change Log and samples throughout Market and distribute to/inform Sales, Production and Design
- Participate in line review meetings to review product with Sales, Design, Tech, and Production
- Publish line sheets for each fashion delivery to recap Style Bookings and Sales Perf
- Maintain the sample closets- track samples sent to accounts, photo shoots or other divisions
- 3- 6 years experience in the apparel industry
- Prefered knowledge of AS400
- Bachelors degree in related field
- Knowledge of Microsoft office preferred
Drive the merchandising process, identifying growth opportunities, and protecting needs of the Lauren Accesories business. Work closely with regional merchandising teams, design and production to manage development process of product category. Drive and manage all activities relating merchandising calendar.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage and define the Accessories Merchandising approach and strategies across all Lauren Accessories businesses
- Understand competitive environment: Analyze and clearly communicate competitive positioning, market, and opportunities
- Drive product creation initiatives with Design related to brand vision (strategy).
- Create and present seasonal product strategy and line plan for product category, ensuring they support global brand direction.
- Attend all design and product development meetings.
- Drive mid design cycle finalization review with divisional merchants and brand merchant. Ensure all teams are aligned on seasonal goals and strategies. Identify exclusive assortment opportunities.
- Set pricing targets and partner with design and development to execute on seasonal margin objectives.
- Define and manage seasonal sku targets, commonality and efficiencies.
- Oversee all system and line maintenance: line lists, add/drops, pricing.
- Own seasonal sample buy process and budget targets.
- Attend weekly WIP meetings with design, development, and production partners.
- Oversee preparational activities and present to channels at seasonal Adoption meetings and Market Openings.
- Build relationships with regional merchants and key cross functional partners.
- Drive process document and calendar. Responsible for ensuring approved calendars and timelines are met.
Experience, Skills & Knowledge
- College degree.
- Minimum 5-7 years of experience in merchandising
- Strong knowledge of Market dynamics, competition, and trends
- Leadership – Manage both up to senior management as well as down to assistant.
- Develop strong relationships with Design, PD, Production and Divisional partners thru knowledge, and communication of knowledge, in order to gain credibility and trust and bring projects to fruition.
- Fashion sense and High product sensibility.
- Proactive approach to problem solving.
- Manage calendar and ensure timely deliverables.
- Highly organized, detail-oriented and accurate.
- Ability to multi task.
- Strong analytical and retail math skills
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, Outlook & PowerPoint.