Here are sample job advertisements for Environment, Health & Safety roles…
Environment Health & Safety Specialist I-II
- Executes EH&S projects/tasks and makes decisions within limited parameters under regular supervision.
- Performs EH&S audits of labs, support areas and offices.
- Champions an aspect of EHS, including the training program as it relates to e-learning modules, industrial hygiene, biological safety, etc.
- Provides training to responsible parties as necessary and assists with EH&S on the job training and class room training.
- Provides emergency response support to include but not limited to medical emergencies, evacuations, hazmat spills and fire related events.
- Writes clear and concise safety related communications, including e-mails, letters, policies and procedures as required and assists with revising safety related policies and procedures are required.
- May provide support to a specific aspect of the business such as new target characterizations, Vivarium and IACUC support.
- May assume responsibility for full or partial program compliance, such as Department of Transportation (DOT), biosafety program, radiation, chemical inventory, ergonomics, department metrics, Lab Safety Contacts, medical response, or machine guarding compliance or an aspect such as needlestick prevention for biosafety compliance or robot assessments for machine guarding.
- Collaborates with key stakeholders and with other members of the EH&S team to support ongoing programs, initiatives, and activities.
- Receives regular and general instruction, guidance, and direction from others on EH&S projects in the form of specific objectives.
- Leads maintenance and organization of EH&S stock rooms, inspects and manages calibration of various EH&S response/monitoring equipment.
- May provide secondary construction project support as a subject matter expert during each phase of the project – design, construction, and post-construction.
Excellent written and verbal communications skills. Computer literate.
Ability to learn specialized software applications.
Ability to develop and conduct EHS training sessions.
EMT certification is a plus.
Ability to use a PC, specialized safety and industrial hygiene equipment, various specialized applications such as Facilities Help Desk.
Minimal Educational Requirements:
Minimum Years of Exeperience:
1-3 years of experience
Required Licenses & Certificates:
Certified Safety Professional, Associate Safety Professional, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager and/or Medical Emergency Technician are a plus.
Hi. We’re Bentley Labs, a cutting-edge formulation and manufacturing partner to the world’s best beauty brands. Our product formulation and production capabilities are wide-ranging and distinctive – with innovative, exciting products across skin care, bath and body, hair, and lip categories. Over the past 16 years, the Bentley team has grown to include some of the industry’s brightest stars. Our diverse and talented group are ever and truly a unit—working together toward an all-consuming vision to be the best.
This is a place where we create products that matter, relationships that last, and where ambition is supported and rewarded.
Sound like a match? You’re in luck. Bentley Labs is currently seeking a Safety, Health and Environment (SHE) & Security Manager.
The primary purpose of the Safety Health, Environment (SHE) and Security Manager is to create a sustained company culture of safety, health, environment and security with a balanced focus on behaviors, risks and compliance. The Manager is the Safety Officer for the company. The Manager will effectively balance the needs of a growing and expanding company and set priorities accordingly.
- Manage day-to-day safety, health, environment and security functions and practices
- Establish SHE & Security KPIs and an appropriate management process for the maturity level of the company
- Personalize the SHE & Security program for Bentley Labs
- Implement overall SHE & Security program and manage all safety programs
- Deliver and coordinate site safety programs and required training
- Develop site safety programs, policies and procedures
- Daily safety audits, inspections and incident review
- Oversee subcontractor and contractor safety program
- As requested, work on special initiatives or projects and make presentations to the executive team
- Develop and manage an appropriate “process safety” framework in accordance with recognized industry standards to protect the business from potential safety risks and to meet regulatory requirements
- Undertake Environmental, Health and Safety reviews on new product commercialization and engineering projects, appraising the relevant risks, processes and controls.
- Devise and implement specific tools, processes and interventions (including risk management frameworks, audit methodologies and program) appropriate for the business
- Assess and audit practices to measure compliance with EPA, OSHA, NJDEP, New Jersey municipal specific regulations and Bentley Labs policies/procedures
- Review new materials coming out of R&D and commercialization and ensure Safety Data Sheet (SDS) files are updated. Communicate changes to the workforce as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Associates/Bachelors Degree with technical background is required
- Demonstrated experience working in manufacturing facilities is mandatory
- Certified Safety Professional or equivalent qualification
- Bi-lingual language skills would be an advantage (English/Spanish)
- Experience with Safestart or similar behavioral safety program is a plus
- Knowledge and Experience of ISO 9001/14000/22000/45001
- Experience organizing and leading SHE and Security-related projects from conception to commissioning
- Knowledge and experience with OSHA Process Safety Management standard
- Comprehension of local/state/federal environmental, health and safety regulations
- Specific experience in over-the-counter (OTC), pharmaceutical and/or cosmetics industry is a distinct advantage
- Experience in specialty chemicals, batch (weighing, dispensing, blending, filling) operations would be beneficial
- Environmental qualifications as necessary
- Experience in a OSHA VPP site is highly regarded
- Ability to work at all levels in the organization is critical. Demonstrated experience at communicating with executive teams, staff members, and shopfloor workers
- Ability to travel between Bentley Labs sites in Edison, NJ
- Deliver trainings (forklift, LOTO, confined space, etc.) if certified
- Manage compliance audits and interact professionally with officials
- Lead investigations with confidentiality and respect for individuals
- Deploy a behavioral safety program including company-level policies regarding “Life Saving Rules”
- Participate and/or lead Management of Change review process seeking a balanced assessment of compliance vs. risks
- Provide immediate or delayed feedback to employees and other people in a tactful manner
So come meet the team! We’re sure you’ll find smiles, smarts, and a serious love for all things beauty.