Here are sample job advertisement for these types of roles…
Sr. Manager of Service Design
As the Manager of Service Design you will be responsible for designing new customer service experiences along with improving our existing user experiences. You will be an authority on the customer experience and you will work with various teams both in Customer Services and the Business Unit to build experiences that make our customers feel valued.
You will report to the head of Service Design with a strong dotted line to regional leaders. This leader will be responsible for driving engagement and loyalty across our growing customer base. We are looking for an experienced and passionate customer service advocate with a drive for customer-centric innovations. We are excited about you if you have experience working with internal partners, analytics/project management expertise, and resolutions skills. Additionally, a real passion for sports and/or concerts and an understanding of what it means to be a fan is key.
- Generate innovative ideas and solutions, providing input and feedback to the overall Service Strategy and Design.
- Document process for our workflows and conduct process analysis to find opportunities, improve and implement new workflows, policies and practices.
- Initiate/Lead/Support customer experience improvement projects from initiation to closure and ensure regular communication on the project progress, effective change management practices and results supported by control plans.
- Mentor and lead a team of customer experience specialists in the execution of service design processes and strategy.
- Responsible for broad scale global implementation plans, leading cross functional teams
- Independent problem solving and decision-making grounded in insights, facts and aligned with the strategic priorities of the line of business.
- Learn quickly, enjoy working independently and have the confirmed ability to multi-task and remain composed in a busy environment.
- Use a broad and deep understanding of concepts to develop solutions to problems and critical issues.
- Strategic Thinker: You can develop a keen understanding of our strategy, the value it brings to customers and its market differentiator. You have a game plan for the long-term success including insights into how the product, industry and competition will evolve so you can continue to generate tremendous value to your customers.
- Establish relationships with other managers throughout the organization to ensure excellent information flow and feedback on impact of process, policy and product changes.
- Have the ability to reach appropriate resolution in various situations without damaging internal or external relationships.
- Ability to handle the most complex and critical problems and projects.
- BA/BS in an appropriate field is required and MBA a plus.
- Candidates should have 5+ years experience at a Management level, 3+ years within a customer experience/service environment. People management experience is required
- Experience in delivering strategic solutions, organizational development and process reengineering is critical.
- Successful track record in change management and leading large scale global business change initiatives
- A consistent track record leading projects in a matrix environment and through influence rather than hard line reporting.
- Excellent Teammate: You are a standout colleague who demonstrates agility and flexibility in fast-changing and undefined situations with great verbal and written communication, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Effective balance of strategic vision and tactical execution.
- Experience with six sigma/prince 2 (project management) a plus
- Ability to develop strong professional relationships and to influence peers, managers, senior executives and other teams.
- Excellent Problem Solving, Analytical and Decision-making Skills
Available to travel
View our accessibility info
eBay Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, and disability, or other legally protected status. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will make every effort to respond to your request for disability assistance as soon as possible.
For more information see:
EEO is the Law Poster
IDEO New York is looking for a Design Researcher to guide and inspire teams into uncovering meaningful human-centered insights that drive great design and innovation for our clients.
Why is this job important to IDEO?
Great design is born out of great research. Our Design Researchers lead clients and teams through a journey of human-centered research to discover insights and inspiration and contribute to all phases of the design process. We’re seeking an individual who is naturally empathetic and passionate about people. Design Researchers bring to life the voice of the people they’re designing for, connecting the internal design team and client organization to the human experience. With society and technology continuing to evolve at a breakneck speed, IDEO needs a Design Researcher to help us strengthen our digital fluency (through both using digital tools for research as well as doing research in the context of designing digital platforms and products) – to push the edges of how we search for insights and inspiration for both internal and client initiatives.
Relevant experience – what are we looking for?
- A minimum of 3 to 6 years of qualitative research experience culminating in a sound ability to scope a research process, lead fieldwork, conduct interviews and perform desk research. Design Researchers must be prepared to plan and lead fieldwork to discover insights first-hand. Candidates need a strong foundation in qualitative methods and contextual inquiry that has been further developed through the integration of digital methods.
- Ability to synthesize research findings and to uncover and articulate insights that will inform and inspire design. Design Researchers must be able to lead the team (and often the client) through the analysis and synthesis processes – distilling down to focus on the most important insights, linking them together in frameworks or principles for design.
- Ability to shape and lead strategic, systems thinking based upon insights gathered through research. Experience working within a variety of industries and/or background in organizational/business/brand/systems design is a plus.
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills; fluency and confidence in inspiring teammates and clients with user-driven rationale.
- Ability to work flexibly and efficiently, exercising a balance between research rigor and inspiration. We are looking for people who can maintain a high degree of rigor throughout, but who also experiment in their approach and methodology.
- High comfort level in working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity.
- Openness to critique from other disciplines and curiosity to learn from a spectrum of perspectives.
What gets us excited:
- Strong dexterity and fluency with digital and all its pervasive ways to improve how we work at IDEO.
- Experience using technology and digital methods to uncover needs (e.g.: experience conducting online ethnography, implementing remote user studies, using sensors or digital tracking tools, moderating/monitoring online communities, creating apps to track behavior, building web or digital prototypes to gather feedback, etc.).
- An empathy and curiosity for how great brands and organizations navigate innovation and design.
- An understanding of quantitative research methods and an ability to design and analyze surveys. Fluency in trend reporting is a plus.
- Curiosity to experiment with new approaches to inspire teams and gather insights along the journey of a product, to discover the methods that best address the specific questions at hand.
- A strong network in the creative and research community.
- A passion for improving people’s life through design.
Once you’re here, you’ll…
- Join a dynamic team of design researchers whose work is a key differentiator for IDEO in the design consulting world.
- Work on projects within a multidisciplinary team often made up of designers, engineers, brand and business strategists, etc.
- Be responsible for structuring human-centered research and leading the internal and client teams through fieldwork, analysis of findings and insight development.
- Connect insights to design and collaborate with teammates to create innovative products, services, spaces, interactions and experiences.
- Experience the process of great ideas emerging from a deep understanding of people, business and technology.
- Travel to diverse regions inside or outside the U.S. to explore diverse human behavior and lifestyles.
Some previous projects to check out:
- PingMD 2.0: PINGMD is a New York-based startup that offers a safe, easy way for healthcare providers, their colleagues, and their patients to communicate and collaborate via smartphone. The first version of PINGMD, which launched a few years ago, was based on the idea that many of these concerns could be addressed through quick, secure messages (text with photos or videos). IDEO collaborated with PINGMD to optimize the app’s user interface, build new capabilities, and make the startup’s website work better on mobile devices.
- Society of Grownups for MassMutual: MassMutual partnered with IDEO over a two-year engagement to design a service that might impart the wisdom of thinking long-term to those who don’t. Together we created a sort of master’s program for adulthood, where the curriculum covers everything from investing in a 401K to having that hard talk about a budget to how to pick good, cheap wine. IDEO helped build the new venture from the ground up—designing a brand identity, a digital platform with some of the most sophisticated financial planning tools in the industry, and a hip brick-and-mortar locale. Why “Society of Grownups?” Because we’re all here to help each other become a little smarter. And a little more grown-up.
- The Royal Academy of Arts: As the Royal Academy of Arts approached its 250th anniversary, the institution came to IDEO to help create a digital strategy that would open new doors to its resources, reveal hidden avenues to new experiences, and offer broad vistas of its collection. The result is a website where an artist can learn more about RA schools; where the public can see a photo of the tidal creek that inspires painter Mali Morris; and the RA’s Collections Team can tell an unexpected story about David Hockney’s painting of the Grand Canyon. Organized around human needs rather than organizational structure, this new digital space allowed audiences to wander more freely in this immense storehouse of inspiration and awe. In April 2015, the Royal Academy of Arts received a Best-of-the-Web award by the Museums and Web Community in the “Long Lived” category.
Pop Quiz, Hot Shot:
How would you approach the research for designing a connected home device for a young family’s first apartment?
Application requirements and instructions:
If you identify with our values and would like to contribute to our studio, we would love to see your resume and cover letter (addressing the pop quiz above).
- Apply an iterative, design thinking process and lens to support clients to solve complex problems in strategic planning, process improvement, technology adoption and evolution, and service delivery.
- Design and deliver customized, engaging, results-oriented interventions and workshops to improve organizational and team performance
- Facilitate design thinking workshops. Use design thinking principles (ideation, prototyping, testing, and feedback) and tools (journey maps, prototyping tools, etc.) to facilitate problem-solving sessions for a range of government audiences, from senior leaders to front-line implementers.
- Collaborate with government stakeholders to co-design session agendas, prompts, and exercises that help participants achieve their objectives with design thinking workshops.
- Perform research and convert insights from leading designers, strategists, and technologists into solutions to organizational management challenges.
- Craft compelling stories and visual models to communicate insights and discoveries.
- Communicate with government stakeholders and decision-makers in compelling ways using a variety of visual mediums.
- 3+ years of experience in human centered design, facilitation, service design, or customer experience
- Thorough knowledge and demonstrated experience applying design thinking principles and tools to solve client challenges
- Exceptional oral and written communication and presentation skills, with proficiency in multiple methods of visual communication
- Experience in group facilitation, including with groups of senior organizational leaders
- Bachelor of Arts in Design or related field
- Experience working in a project-based environment
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to obtain a U.S. government security clearance.
- Graphical design experience
- UI/UX experience
- Experience working on a cross functional Salesforce implementation team
**************IDEO is seeking a strategic leader who has created and implemented organization-wide solutions to foster growth and innovation. This role requires a track record of putting prevailing theories related to organizational change and design into practice, a passion and aptitude for stewarding leaders through transformation journeys, and the willingness to push the edge of the craft of organizational design at IDEO.You will lead and guide IDEO’s interdisciplinary project teams to help our clients achieve bold and meaningful change by testing and evolving strategies and solutions that build creative capabilities within an organization. You will help clients and teams navigate ambiguity, adapt with agility, and unlock meaningful progress towards their goals touching all stages of client relationships — from finding and establishing new relationships, to guiding project teams towards content excellence, to shaping and scoping subsequent work.We believe that sustainable organizational transformation happens when people feel part of the process — more movement than mandate ( https://hbr.org/2017/06/changing-company-culture-requires-a-movement-not-a-mandate ) — and above all else, we need you to roll up your sleeves and inspire action throughout our clients’ iterative change journeys.
In the past, we’ve helped clients address design challenges such as:
How might we…
…build and evolve an organization’s purpose through its products, services, and operations?
…establish and evolve minimum viable organizations in line with minimum viable products or services?
…design and operate an innovation lab to drive new ideas and ways of working across an organization?
You can read about our organizational design case studies here ( https://www.ideo.com/work/organization ).
Why is this role important for IDEO’s work?
Your role as an organizational design director will vary from project to project, relationship to relationship, but may include:
- Crafting transformation project plans with clients and other IDEO leaders to identify priority areas for organizational design efforts
- Leading and guiding teams as they bring change strategies to life that start small and soon and scale smartly
- Developing experimental approaches for our clients to prototype new ways of working in their organization
- Leading and guiding teams to design new structures and roles as well as tools and processes that foster new ways of working in line with strategic priorities
- Advising teams engaged in a product or service design project, with a lens for what organizational conditions can be designed to make their designs successful in the world
- Advancing IDEO’s perspective on organization design through mentorship and thought leadership. We like to push the edge in all aspects of our work, and continue to build our perspective on how to activate change within organizations with a human-centered lens
Relevant experience and mindset:
We’d be excited if you have:
- Expertise and a proven track record in a variety of organization design activities, including organizational development, organizational effectiveness, and talent strategy
- Proven experience as a direct advisor to senior executives on organizational transformation strategies or having led change efforts as an operational leader touching multidisciplinary teams and stakeholders
- Bachelor’s and/or master’s degree in a related field, including but not limited to business administration or organizational psychology
Bonus points if you’ve:
- Successfully launched and/or led a corporate innovation transformation program
- Developed business strategy sensibilities in addition to your organizational strategy expertise through work in corporate strategy, business operations, or strategy consulting
- Rolled out digital transformation strategies and/or agile development methods at scale
- Demonstrated fluency as a practitioner (not just a facilitator) of human centered design
As part of this process, you should be able to share work samples of design solutions that have influenced new ways of working within an organization.
What does IDEO offer you?
IDEO is a place unlike any other. It’s a place where you can solve diverse, complex challenges for our clients or the organization, alongside thoughtful, intelligent individuals who lead with curiosity, empathy, and optimism. We work hard, but we also intentionally craft moments that allow our community to pause, create, and connect. We encourage our community to bring their whole selves to work, respect the need for work-life balance, and allow for autonomy in the design process and your career.
- Lead meaningful and more comprehensive design initiatives within OptumHealth such as end-to-end consumer journey, omni-channel or cross-product pillar driven product and service design projects.
- Plan and execute primary and secondary design research. Advocate research findings and design strategy to diverse audiences through written reports and verbal presentations.
- Work closely with research managers, designers, content strategists, product owners and developers to envision new product and service design opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Inform and influence executive decision-making through executive-level workshops and deliverables.
- Mentor other team members and champion the value of design within the organization. Foster Optum’s culture and principles, while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.
- Include: Cover letter, CV and portfolio. Submissions without a portfolio will not be considered.
- BA/BS degree in Service Design, Design Management, Design Planning or related innovation, business or social science field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of work experience in an applied design setting, ideally with focus on product & service design.
- Ability to lead projects across the different stages of the design process and deliver high-quality project outcomes.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to effectively articulate insights, ideas, strategy and design concepts – verbally and visually.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams and effective interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite, Sketch, Microsoft Office and Mac OSX
- Master’s degree in related field.
- Experience in the pharmacy services industry, related operational process optimization and/or design of related complex digital products and experiences
- 7-10 years of relevant work experience, including experience integrating design research and strategy into actionable product and service design concepts.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research, design prototyping/testing methods, including when and how to apply them during each product phase.
- Ability to communicate complex product & service design concepts clearly and persuasively, across different audiences and varying levels.
- Strong design workshop facilitation skills.
- Healthcare related work experience and basic understanding of key players in the healthcare industry.
- Experience working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work, with a collaborative and innovative approach.
- Experience managing or leading design teams.
- Track record of driving change in a large, complex matrixed environment.
Careers with Optum. Here’s the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make the health system work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world’s large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life’s best work.(sm)