Here are a sample job advertisements for Business Strategy roles…
We are a successful mid-range dental business seeking an experienced Director of Business Strategy with 10+ years of management experience to lead our company through an upcoming period of growth. The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of our organization, ensuring that we are operating efficiently and effectively to meet business goals. The company is in full growth mode and we are looking to grow from $2M to $4M in the next 24 months. This position is essential for the company to move forward on it’s path to reach it’s next phase. The ideal candidate should be strong at financial forecasting, developing business models and system development/optimization. Interpersonal skills and leadership capability are paramount, as teamwork is vital to our success. Candidates are also expected to be able to think on their feet.
- Oversee and run the current business (all aspects) and prepare for growth (next phase of our business)
- Examine new dental opportunities in current and potential markets
- Partner with the Marketing Director to develop new strategies for growth
- Prepare and manage a comprehensive annual budget that delivers the greatest value to the business
- Analyze the competitive landscape and identify areas of differentiation
- Work with the owner and direct reports to create long-term company strategy
- Proactively address challenges within the company
- Successful candidates must have a 4 year college business degree with 10+ years of business experience OR a Master’s degree in business administration with 5+ years of experience
- Proven history of success in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement, optimize, strategic plans consistent with corporations goals.
- Deep understanding of financial strategies and finance-related performance metrics
- Multitasking in a fast paced environment is required
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (High degree of Excel is required; formulate and interpretation)
- Great communication skills especially with managing people of varied backgrounds
- Positive attitude and work ethic
This is an incredibly exciting time in the automotive industry with immense technological impact and business model innovation. GST is seeking a results-oriented Business Strategy Manager to identify and execute the development of key strategic and transformation initiatives across a broad range of business functions. This person will be pivotal in creating and driving the strategic agenda, including partnering with and influencing senior leaders on growth, productivity, and innovation projects. The ideal candidates for this newly created role should be comfortable with ambiguity and change, possess exceptional research and analytical skills, and be an excellent written and verbal communicator. This role has high visibility to the leadership team.RESPONSIBILITIES
Listing of essential function (In order of importance)
Develop comprehensive business cases to address opportunities and challenges; collaborate with and influence senior leaders and key stakeholders to achieve this
Lead research, market sizing and analytics, and data sciences in support of business cases and otherwise
Analyze problems and identify opportunities for creative solutions and strategic initiative investigation
Support the strategic planning process and measurement of strategic initiatives; translate operating strategy into clear, achievable plans
Assist in planning and preparing content for strategic planning, strategy councils, and other business reviews and report outs as needed
Review financial, operational and sales performance reports, industry data, and research on a periodic basis; prepare reports, trend analysis and exec summaries (PowerPoint)
Ability to act as a point of contact between senior leadership, associates, and key strategic partners
May directly supervise one or more employees as the function grows, but has no immediate direct supervisory responsibilities. Carries out responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
A bachelor’s degree in business, economics, engineering, mathematics, statistics or related field with a minimum of 5-8 years total work experience; and at least 2 years in corporate strategy, strategic planning, management consulting, venture capital or private equity or equivalent combination of education and experience. Automotive industry or retail/consumer experience advantageous. MBA is preferred.
Previous experience building financial models and strong financial acumen
Proven experience collaborating and influencing across organizations to drive growth and scale processes
Experience delivering and executing in complex and changing business landscapes
A self-starter and a problem-solver with a bias to action
Detail-oriented with the ability to see the big picture and create compelling narratives
Ability to facilitate meetings and drive accountability
Expertise with Microsoft Office, especially PowerPoint and Excel
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. While performing the duties of the job, the associate is required on a daily basis to analyze and interpret data, communicate, and remain in a stationary position for a significant amount of the work day; and frequently access, input, and retrieve information from the computer and other office productivity devices. The associate is regularly required to move about the office and around the corporate campus. The associate is occasionally required to travel to other sites, including out-of-state, where applicable, for business. The associate must frequently move up to 10 pounds and occasionally move up to 25 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an associate encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While the job is generally performed in an office environment, the associate is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, areas in which moving mechanical parts, fumes, toxic or caustic chemicals are present, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the office environment is typically quiet, but the associate may be occasionally exposed to loud noise levels.
Minimal travel is required for this position (up to 20% of the time and on a domestic basis).
The Business Strategy Manager will lead a variety of strategic efforts inclusive of playing a pivotal role in building short- and long-term strategic plans for the Department of Orthopedic Surgery. The role of the Business Strategic Manager is to serve as an analytical, thought and project-leader in the assessment, development, and management of the Department of Orthopedic Surgery’s strategy.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Analyzes complex business problems in the context of the department’s strategic objectives. Identifies and interprets trends and patterns to locate influences. Constructs quantitative models, statistical forecasts, recommendations, and strategic/tactical plans.
- Leads in the design and implementation of complex business development initiatives including recruitment of physicians, site expansion, research initiatives, and physician alignment strategies.
- Identifies and develops new business opportunities for the department from initial planning to execution. Ensures that business development strategies systems, structures and approaches align with the strategic priorities of Columbia’ and NYP’s overall growth and program development goals.
- Designs dashboards to track physician performance and growth of new ventures
- Holds practice development meetings with physicians to review performance. If physicians deviate from targets or if new recruits fall short of business plan, will create and implement corrective action plans.
- Delivers presentations to key stakeholders on internal dynamics, competitive and industry dynamics, and the interplay between these elements.
- Manages and oversees the work of analysts, as required.
Minimum Qualifications for Grade
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus four years of related experience
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Qualifications
Applicant MUST meet these minimum qualifications to be considered an applicant
- Extensive experience with financial modeling and data analysis
- Knowledge of project management tools, methods, and best practices
- Knowledge of healthcare Key Performance and Operational Indicators (KPI/KOI)
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Ability to exercise discretion, good independent judgment, and independent thinking in selecting the optimal course of action
- Strong leadership, interpersonal, organizational, project management, customer service, analytical and problem-solving skills. This position requires the ability to interact positively, constructively and effectively with employees and professional staff. Must be a motivated individual with a positive and exceptional work ethic.
- Ability to educate all levels of professional staff on warehouse structure and capabilities
- Action-oriented with experience managing aggressive deadlines and strength across a broad range of technical skills
- Experience working in a large academic medical center
- High-level of proficiency in IBM Cognos and Tableau
- 1-2 years of experience in managing people and projects
About the team
Zillow Group NYC seeks a talented Business Strategy Manager to support our three NY brands (StreetEasy, Naked Apartments, Out East) in a broad range of business functions. This person will be pivotal in creating and driving the strategic agenda, including coordinating across the business on product innovation, sales strategy, pricing strategy, customer experience and scaling the business for growth and productivity. The ideal candidate for this newly created role should be comfortable in a high performance, fast paced, collaborative environment. In addition, he/she should have exceptional project management, research and analytical skills as well as superb written and verbal communication. This role has extremely high visibility to the management team in a fast-growing, dynamic business environment.
This position will report directly to ZG NYC’s VP Revenue & Strategy.
About the role
- Support and manage strategic and tactical business planning process, implementation, and monitoring across the business
- Conduct detailed market opportunity assessments supported by market research, data analysis and structured thinking
- Analyzing product, pricing, operational and/or customer experience problems and present creative solutions to senior management
- Review financial/operational/sales performance reports, industry data and primary research on a periodic basis; prepare reports, trend analysis and executive summaries.
- Lead, manage and/or support cross functional projects and go-to-market launch plans working alongside product, marketing, PR, sales and customer support
- Assist in planning and preparing for monthly and quarterly business reviews and participate in the annual forecast/budget preparation process
- Ability to act as a point of contact between senior leadership, employees and other stakeholders
Who you are
- Ideal candidate will have 5-8 years of relevant experience, with at least 2 years working for a top tier consulting firm using a strategic planning toolkit across multiple functions
- Self-starter with exceptional critical thinking, analytical, influencing and communication skills. Being able to plan and execute with and through people is critical to success
- Candidate should be organized, independent, detail-oriented, flexible multi-tasker who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment with competing projects and priorities
- Ability to facilitate meetings and communicate findings and results to project teams, sponsors and management
- Expertise in Microsoft Office applications, particularly PowerPoint and Excel
- Experience in advertising, media or ecommerce highly preferred.
Get to know us
StreetEasy is New York City’s leading local real estate marketplace providing accurate and comprehensive for-sale and for-rent listings from hundreds of real estate brokerages throughout New York City and the major NYC metropolitan area. StreetEasy is part of Zillow Group, whose mission is to build the largest, most trusted and vibrant home-related marketplace in the world.
Zillow Group is owned, fueled and grown by innovators who help people make better, smarter decisions around all things home. We encourage one another at every level, and our efforts are supported by employee-driven, world-class benefits that enable us to enjoy our lives outside the office while building fulfilling careers that impact millions of individuals every day.
Analyzing business results and market factors to determine how to best support business unit strategic goals
Forming project plans and teams to help bring forth new capabilities grounded in technology and data that will result in margin growth
Overseeing the execution of projects with strong attention to detail and ability to connect dots across concurrent workstreams to manage dependencies
Facilitating change management efforts when launching new capabilities to our business divisions and customers
Supporting executive updates and communications with the c-suite and board of directors
Managing consulting engagements on select projects to ensure success criteria are met and capabilities are adopted internally for intended gain
Strong and succinct written and verbal communication skills
Strong attention to detail and a hunger for constant improvement
Experience managing strategy and operations projects at companies with a track record for successful execution
Experience with rollouts of major process changes across a division which involved getting individuals to adopt these changes and understanding of mechanisms required to drive change at a company across functions
Self-starter who is comfortable dealing with ambiguity
Familiarity with financial statements and how sales, costs, and investments map to those financial statements
Experience building financial business cases with comfort in basic financial concepts
Proficiency in excel and creation of graphs for easier visual understanding
Ability to work quickly and easily in Powerpoint and other presentation tools to create succinct executive-level presentations
Ability to prioritize work across competing efforts
A background in management consulting, strategy and operations roles, or private equity is a plus but not required
WHO WE ARE
Scholastic Corporation (NASDAQ: SCHL) is the world’s largest publisher and distributor of children’s books, a leading provider of core literacy curriculum and professional services, and a producer of educational and entertaining children’s media. The Company creates quality books and ebooks, print and technology-based learning programs for pre-K to grade 12, classroom magazines and other products and services that support children’s learning both in school and at home. With operations in 14 international offices and exports to 165 countries, Scholastic makes quality, affordable books available to all children around the world through school-based book clubs and book fairs, classroom collections, school and public libraries, retail and online. True to its mission of 97 years to encourage the personal and intellectual growth of all children beginning with literacy, the Company has earned a reputation as a trusted partner to educators and families. Learn more at www.scholastic.com.
Some benefits that we offer:
- 100% vested of 401(k) Retirement Plan after 5 years employment
- Up to 1M worth of supplemental Life Insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Purchase Scholastic stock at a 15% discount