Here are sample job advertisements for this type of role…
Alumni Experience Strategist
RESPONSIBILITIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Assist with email communications relating to Alumni Relations
- Help track and update information about alumni activity
- Maintain ongoing analysis and reporting of Alumni Network statistics
- Assist in identifying alumni to highlight for regular series about alumni activity
- Help maintain a list of alumni who sit on boards
- Assist in management of Alumni Relations hosted events, including guest list creation, communications and attendance management process
- Assist with updating the Alumni Network website and day-to-day vendor relationships
- Help determine alumni-related content for the alumni website and the firm’s social media channels
- Assist with alumni client service
- Assist with ad-hoc alumni related requests that may arise
Experience / Skills / Systems Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and 1-3 years of experience, preferably in communications, marketing or an alumni relations related role
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience and interest in working with, analyzing, organizing and presenting data
- Experience with Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent time management skills
- Collaborative work approach and ability to work well in a small team
- Excellent judgment and high degree of discretion and confidentiality
- Ability to maintain high standards, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- Ability to interact and build relationships with people across the firm
ABOUT GOLDMAN SACHS
Reporting to the Senior Director of Alumni Relations, the Associate Director of Alumni Relations plays an integral role on the Alumni Relations team and is responsible for leading Columbia College’s primary mentoring initiative, which connects current students and young alumni with the alumni community in a variety of virtual and live programs and experiences that support students while leveraging alumni. This individual helps to set a short and long range plan for mentoring as a major initiative that can engage students early on, create meaningful experiences for alumni and strengthen the pride and connectivity of the overall Columbia College community. This strategy includes continually refining the mentoring system and user experience, defining the program goals and vision, partnering to develop a clear communication strategy for multiple segments, and developing new opportunities that help reinforce mentoring as a cultural pillar of the community. This individual also drives alumni engagement through innovative regional programming that builds energy outside of our strong tri-state center.
- This individual will drive student and alumni engagement through the Odyssey Mentoring Program, including the development of programs, events and communications that facilitate meaningful connections within the Columbia College community. The incumbent will create partnerships to develop meaningful events and programs that inspire diverse and enthusiastic participation and develop support materials and communications that motivate, activate and inspire participants in the mentoring community. This individual will continuously seek to enhance the user experience of the mentoring platform by monitoring and refining the backend of the platform and by liaising directly with tech teams. The incumbent will also pull and analyze data to make informed decisions about the program’s growth and evolution. In addition, they will recruit, motivate and manage alumni and student volunteers, including board and committee members, who support the development and growth of the mentoring community. The Associate Director will create strong partnerships with colleagues across the school and represent the Columbia College Alumni Relations and Communications team at meetings, events, working groups and through ongoing inter-departmental communication within the University.
- The Associate Director will plan and implement engagement experiences for alumni through regional initiatives. The individual will coordinate with internal partners, including the development team, to produce experiences that increase engagement for alumni in new ways and expands participation opportunities beyond the tri-state. This individual will track and analyze data to assess the successes of these initiatives in order to develop a dynamic pipeline of opportunities.
- The Associate Director will support a portfolio of classes in support of Reunion Weekend, helping to plan their specific events as part of the overall weekend. This individual will also contribute to the development of Reunion programming at large.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of direct experience in alumni relations, volunteer management, program management, student services or related field.
- High level of experience and comfort working in technology systems, with a curiousity to follow industry trends to identify new tools and innovations.
- Candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication and organizational skills and demonstrate the ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- The ideal applicant will be self-motivated, creative and work well in a group setting.
- Position will often require long hours, including evenings and weekend assignments. Some travel may be required.
- **Applications received without a resume and cover letter will not be considered.**
- Experience in higher education or similarly complex institution is preferred. Columbia College alumni are encouraged to apply.
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite is preferred.
- Some experience with relational databases, design software and Web-based event tools is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Overview: This new position will be responsible for developing a comprehensive alumni relations program, including all aspects of alumni fundraising, events, and communications. This person will also work closely with Development office colleagues to coordinate and develop campaign prospect strategies. The Director of Alumni relations will be responsible for a portion of prospect research, specific to Alumni, with some support from the Development Services Assistant. Attention to detail and self-starting required. Fluency in Microsoft Office required. Experience with Alumni Relations and Raiser’s Edge proficiency recommended. Experience with prospect research preferred but not required.
Reports to: Senior Director of Institutional Advancement
- Provide guidance and support for innovative thinking for the development of a new alumni program
- Strengthen the School’s culture of philanthropy and be part of a growing development program
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Alumni program including events, communications, and solicitations
- Develop and adhere to Alumni program annual plan and calendar
- Manage annual fund solicitations of alumni via mail, email, phone and in-person visits
- Coordinate campaign prospect strategies with Annual Fund Manager, Director of Major and Planned Giving, and Senior Director of Institutional Advancement
- Participate in campaign prospect visits, as appropriate
- Manage all alumni events, including reunions, cultivation, stewardship, social mixers, and other events developed as part of the program
- Manage all communications with alumni community and coordinate with the Development and Communications staff to create content for social media, annual reports, and newsletters
- Assist in donor pipeline development by identifying and, as directed by the Senior Director of Institutional Advancement, strategically cultivating alumni campaign prospects
- Ensure that alumni events in the Public Phase have appropriate campaign presence, logos, messaging, and materials
- Support the creation of goals and metrics alongside the Senior Director of Institutional Advancement
- Regularly report on the Alumni Relations program at staff meetings
- Research alumni prospects and delegate select and manageable number of research priorities to the Development Services Assistant
- Track all activity in Raiser’s Edge and work with Development Manager to pull appropriate reports as needed
- Prioritize and commit to participation in internal Development staff meetings including:
- Prepare agenda and check in points for weekly 1-1 meetings with Senior Director of Institutional Advancement
- Attend and report at regular Development office prospect strategy meetings
- Attend and report at regular Development office staff meetings
Who We Are Looking For:
The Internship & Alumni Relations Manager will report into the Director of Programs and work closely with the Program Team to develop a strategy that will effectively support NYOT’s program graduates to ensure their success.
Alumni Relations Responsibilities:
- Design and execute on an engagement strategy that will connect alumni to programs and events that support NYOT’s mission
- Design and lead NYOT Alumni Summits and annual alumni events in person and virtually
- Design and execute on a data collection strategy to help track the outcomes of NYOT program graduates after trainings
- Administer an annual surveys to alumni in order to benchmark their performance in alignment with NYOT’s expected outcomes
- Monitor participant outcomes through assessments and evaluations and develop a comprehensive report of the program
- Build and maintain relationships with companies and other partners who can provide opportunities and resources to alumni
- Help curate and deliver resources and opportunities through a bi-weekly alumni newsletter sent to all program graduates
- Provide support to NYOT’s alumni efforts and programs on an as needed basis
Internship Management Responsibilities:
- Assist in developing a recruiting strategy to identify internship partners and opportunities in technology for program graduates
- Conduct proactive outreach efforts to increase the number of employers in the partner network and number of internship slots
- Assist in communicating and marketing identified internship opportunities in technology to the relevant student population
- Coordinate all administrative functions of internship programs and employer partnerships throughout the year
- Act as the liaison between NYOT and the internship site, providing support to our students, corporate and community partners
- Ensure internship sites are visited prior to internship program commencing to monitor for safety and compliance
- Monitor participant outcomes through assessments and evaluations and develop a comprehensive report of the program
- Support participants in transitioning to employment, training program or post-secondary education
- Provide support to NYOT’s internship management efforts and programs on an as needed basis
- 1-3 years of experience as an Internship Coordinator, Job Developer or supporting career services and/or career advisement
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite (especially Google Docs and Google Sheets).
- Proficiency with Salesforce (preferred) or other CRM databases
- Strong project management and organizational skills, with an ability to juggle competing priorities
- Superior interpersonal, customer service and community relationship-building abilities
- Proficiency in oral and written presentation skills with an eye for cultural competency
- Ability to collaborate and work effectively in a fast-paced team environment
- Relevant Bachelor’s Degree; Master’s degree preferred
Contract commensurate with experience. Includes a competitive benefits package.
About New York On Tech:
New York On Tech (NYOT) is an award-winning, early pipeline technology talent accelerator on a mission to prepare the next generation of leaders by creating pathways into degrees and careers in technology. To date, we have worked with more than 1,000+ students in New York City by leveraging the time, talent and expertise of software engineers and developers to teach our tuition-free courses and help provide work-based internship and learning programs to promote the advancement of underrepresented students into technology. Founded in 2014, NYOT’s work has been featured in Forbes, CNN, The Huffington Post, TechCrunch, BET and other leading publications. NYOT has also been awarded by Forbes 30 Under 30, Wells Fargo and the Brooklyn Borough President’s Office.