Some Audience Development roles involve content strategy, others don’t. Here are some sample job advertisements:
Audience Development Director – Men’s Journal
Men’s Journal seeks an Audience Development Director . This candidate will have a minimum of 4 years of experience overseeing marketing and audience development functions and working closely with revenue operations at a growth-stage digital media company. The Audience Development Director will be a key part of the leadership team and will manage a team of two to start. Prior management experience is required.
- Partnerships & Outreach : You will develop deals and maintain relationships with social and digital influencers, publishers, and platforms to drive additional content distribution and audience growth, including places like Flipboard, Google News, and Apple News. You will work closely with the CEO to evaluate & model business development opportunities.
- SEO : You will understand the basics of SEO and determine how to incorporate best practices into product development and editorial workflow.
- Paid Marketing : You will determine the most strategic and optimized use of a limited paid marketing budget and manage marketing programs in determined marketing channels.
- Analytics, Research, & Reporting : You will use analytics (Google Analytics, Facebook Insights, Parsely, among others) to aggressively optimize all of our activities and understand user behavior – infusing it into the organization. You will oversee the interpretation of data, developing actionable insights for product enhancements and content development. You will develop and maintain an audience growth model, and develop impactful, actionable reporting to inform daily and long-term decision-making.
- Email: You will help us manage our email newsletter(s), aggressively identifying and implementing opportunities to grow its subscription base and optimize its performance, and keep a healthy and engaged list.
- Content strategy : You will work closely with our editorial team, sharing insights and making content recommendations that will help to supercharge audience growth and engagement.
- Social media & Distributed Content : Develop and implement a social media strategy for distributing content across platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Pinterest, etc, and build audience engagement as well as leverage the platforms to drive qualified audience acquisition strategy on Mensjournal.com. Coordinate experiments to improve social media best practices and work with those who are managing our social media accounts. You will work on our video distribution strategy across platforms.
- Revenue : Work closely with the revenue team on fulfilling their campaign requirements, especially across social media and work closely with programmatic revenue operations.
- Industry Knowledge : You will constantly evaluate new social/digital platforms, marketing services, and ad products, maintaining up-to-date knowledge of industry.
- The Ideal Candidate Will Possess The Following Qualities
The Audience Development Director should have extensive digital media experience and expertise in analyzing consumer behavior and turning this data into actionable recommendations.
- A background in consumer-facing digital marketing, audience development, and analytics roles with experience in social media, email marketing, partnerships, SEO, and paid marketing, ideally at content-driven organizations.
- Intimate familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube and a passion for social media.
- Familiarity with digital analytics and tools such as Google Analytics, Facebook among others.
- The ability to work closely with creative teams and influence and train on digital marketing principles and best practices.
- Entrepreneurial instincts and hands-on attitude. Eye for the big picture, but also an enjoyment of hands-on, day-to-day operations. Creative approach to problem-solving.
- ADA Essential Functions
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communications or related field, required.
- Contribute to, support, and execute engagement strategy across all digital channels.
- Manage engagement-focused email communications with Audubon supporters with an eye towards achieving affinity-building goals.
- Write, edit, and design communications for email, SMS, web, and other channels.
- Support internal communications to encourage the sharing of best practices from across the Audubon network
- Pitch and post content on Audubon.org.
- Assist in developing and producing national marketing campaigns.
- Review analytics, execute A/B and segmentation testing, extrapolate learnings, and develop data-driven content and delivery tactics.
- Support the development and execution of special audience engagement pilot programs, designed to test new and innovative ways to reach and engage Audubon’s target audiences.
- Oversee digital lead generation ads, identifying the most effective content, messaging, and platforms for acquiring specific key audiences.
- Develop dashboards to measure Audubon’s digital efforts across multiple channels.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5+ years experience in marketing, digital marketing, or related field.
- Excellent writing skills with a knack for online communications and crafting messaging for multiple, specific audiences.
- Familiarity with the latest trends, technologies and methodologies in content marketing, graphic design, web design and production.
- Experience using content management and analytics systems required.
- Experience with EveryAction, Drupal, Google Analytics, and SimplyMeasured preferred.
- Intimate understanding of traditional and emerging marketing channels.
- Ability to think creatively and analytically.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and ability to learn how to use tools to manage online communications.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite and HTML preferred.
- Proficiency with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- An ability to work cross-departmentally and cross-functionally on integrated initiatives.
- Commitment to the mission and values of the National Audubon Society.
- Commitment to further Audubon’s efforts to create a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment.
- Budget-management skills a plus.
- Previous non-profit industry experience strongly preferred.
- An interest in conservation, birds and/or birding not required but strongly preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, or a closely related field preferred. Equivalent experience also considered.