Here are sample job advertisements for these types of roles…
Guest Bookings Associate Producer
WaitWhat is a media invention company committed to the creation of highly-differentiated, premium content that is gender-balanced and diverse in its subject profiles, and boundary-breaking in its formats. Founded in 2017 by former TED execs June Cohen and Deron Triff, whose combined leadership built TED Talks from a concept to 1 billion views/listens each year, WaitWhat’s inaugural media properties include the critically acclaimed Sincerely, X, the 2018 Webby Award-winning podcast Masters of Scale, and Should This Exist, an exciting new podcast hosted by Silicon Valley investor and Internet pioneer Caterina Fake.
In everything we create, we aim to elicit contagious emotions: awe, wonder, curiosity, and mastery. From the get-to, we design our media to live across many different forms and formats (audio, video, virtual, live, print, etc.) in order to scale as thriving independent businesses.
We are a joyful startup that has closed our Series A funding in January 2019. We’re now building out a team that’s as diverse as it is creative, brought together by the desire to create amazing media experiences. We’re channeling our energy to fulfill what we believe is the greatest, often unspoken, need of our time: to feel lit up and alive. Everything we produce will have those “Wait, what?’ moments that spark your curiosity and change your understanding of the world.
We are looking to add a member to our team who is dedicated to guest reach-out and booking for Masters of Scale (an original WaitWhat podcast hosted by Reid Hoffman, Co-founder of LinkedIn and Investor at Greylock) as well as other podcasts currently in development at WaitWhat. The candidate should be passionate about creating compelling audio, and have a deep network of potential guests that they can pull from.
On Masters of Scale, we feature anchor guests as well as cameo guests on each episode. Previous anchor guests include: Arianna Huffington (Thrive Global, Huffington Post), Howard Schultz (Starbucks), Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Daniel Ek (Spotify), Kevin Systrom (Instagram), Marissa Meyer (Lumi Labs, Yahoo, Google), Reed Hastings (Netflix), Bryan Chesky (AirBnB), Caterina Fake (Flickr), Stacy Brown-Philpott (TaskRabbit), Sara Blakely (Spanx).
For Masters of Scale we also frequently approach guests to appear on the show for “Cameo” interviews — short interviews that bolster the main idea shared in the show. (For example, Nobel Laureate Daniel Kahneman, Olympic gold medalist Natasha Hastings, chef Dominique Ansel, MIT Media Lab Director Joi Ito and Hall of Fame sportscaster Dick Stockton.) We hire tape-sync recording engineers and conduct these interviews by phone, with one of our producers (not Reid himself).
Our criteria for cameo guests is as follows:
- Unexpected, out-of-the-box and delightful! We are NOT looking for bland academic experts.
- Comes from outside tech and preferably outside business.
- Well-known with a large social following
- Pitching guest ideas for a variety of different shows at WaitWhat
- Guest reach-out, coordinating schedules with guests and our show producers
- Booking a wide variety of guests: business, entertainment, writers, podcasters, athletes, etc.
- Conducting, recording pre-interviews
- Booking audio engineers, tape-syncs, recording studios to conduct interviews
- Ensuring appropriate releases are signed by each guest
- Additional duties as needed
- Minimum of 3 years previous booking experience with proven track record for confirming high profile show guests
- Excellent written communication skills to create highly tailored, thoughtful outreach to invite show guests
- Rich research skills to uncover
- Deep network in media, entertainment, publishing, booking, etc.
- Editorial judgement
- Research Experience
- Ability to manage deadline pressure
- Social media knowledge
- Podcast Savvy
- Podcast/Audio experience is a plus
Please note this is a part time freelance position. Remote candidates are welcome to apply.
- Book wide variety of national and international newsmakers, experts, and guests from various fields including politics, foreign relations, business/economy, health/medicine, entertainment, etc.
- Conduct pre-interviews, secure facilities for remote interviews and arrange transportation for guests
- Arrange interviews for broadcasts during live, breaking news coverage
- Enterprise, conceptualize and pitch story ideas
- Works with technical managers in arranging studio logistics for live and taped interviews
- Must have at least 5 years of experience in live television, preferably cable news, including researching information and tracking down guests
Additional Job Requirements
- Interested candidate must submit a resume/CV through www.nbcunicareers.com to be considered
- Must be willing to work in New York, NY
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Willingness to work weekends, overtime, early mornings and on weekends with short notice
- Some travel may be required for field booking/producing assignments
- Strong Rolodex
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills required
- Must be detail oriented and exhibits grace under pressure in the breaking news environment and meets multiple daily deadlines
- Looking for team players who are self-starters and can trouble shoot logistical issues
- Creative thinkers who bring new ideas to news stories
Complex Networks, formed from the acquisition of Complex Media Inc. through a joint venture by Verizon and Hearst, is a global lifestyle brand and media company and one of the most influential voices in popular culture today. Complex Networks’ digital channels, which include Complex, First We Feast, Pigeons & Planes, Sole Collector and more, is a Top 10 publisher in the U.S. for social engagement on channels like Facebook and YouTube. A diversified and profitable media business with premium distribution partners such as Netflix, Hulu, Pluto TV, Roku, and iFlix. Complex Networks’ original content exemplifies convergence culture, exploring topics that span across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food.
Complex is looking for a Talent Booker to focus on Original Content for the New York based talent relations team.
- Track all talent related documents including but not limited to contracts, releases and payment documents
- Work with legal to confirm completion of confidential memos, correspondence, notes
- Work with video production teams to confirm talent logistics for shoots
- Coordinate business & talent travel, including trip logistics and itinerary, meeting coordination and remote support
- Compile and submit travel & expense reports
- Schedule and set up conference calls, teleconferences and web-based meeting
- Attend industry events and talent meetings outside of normal work hours
- Interact with a wide variety of internal and external clients and contacts
- Establish best practices for Complex brands seeking and interfacing with celebrity talent.
- Work with talent to seek out major third party opportunities that complement and/or enhance the Complex Networks brand.
- Update talent database ensuring all contact information for talent, agents, managers and lawyers is always current.
- BA or BS Degree
- 3-5 years of experience in talent relations and relevant experience..
- Experience managing needs of celebrity level talent and ability to stay calm while handling difficult situations.
- Strong attention to detail, administrative, critical reasoning, and problem-solving abilities.
- Strong influence, negotiation skills and knowledge of talent contractual terms.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Superior interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to travel and work outside of standard business hours.
Complex offers an awesome casual work environment with a great team of smart, motivated, innovative and fun people. And our benefits are pretty good as well, including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short/long term disability, generous time off and a 401k match! We hold tons of events throughout the year including happy hours and team building activities.
About Complex Networks
Complex Networks develops and distributes original programming for its channels and through output deals with premium distributors. The company cultivates content that spans across popular culture from music to movies, sports to video games, fashion to food, reaching the coveted 18-24-year-old male audience. In 2016, the company launched ComplexCon in Long Beach, California, to bring the “Internet to life.” The annual event attracts over 200 culture-shifting brands and over 60,000 digitally savvy attendees to the two-day cultural festival.
Maslow Media has partnered with our client, an international news channel in search of a Guest Booker & Producer (Mandarin) for their Washington, D.C. location. This role will be responsible for researching and booking book a wide range of experts and high-profiled guests across the world for network shows and current affairs talk shows. You will keep expanding our contacts database covering a variety of expertise worldwide. You will also work closely with other newsroom teams in terms of all guest-booking related responsibilities.
The ideal candidate is fluent in Mandarin and has experience in international news, news gathering, guest booking, and live broadcast with established media contacts globally. This is a full-time role.
A successful candidate will demonstrate:
- Significant qualifications and skills in researching and booking a wide variety of experts and commentators across the world under deadlines
- Skills to interact and secure high-profile guests in and outside the U.S.
- Fulfill field production work with correspondents and camera crews on the scene of global news events
- Constantly track correspondent assignments, shooting and delivery schedules
- Develop and maintain a close familiarity with issues and personalities influencing news events in North and South America, as well as in China and Asia-Pacific
- Planning both short and long-term coverage on a global scale
- Easily adapt to other duties and responsibilities required by the Director of the Mandarin Division
- Possess an understanding of television news agencies and how they function.
- Fluency in English and Mandarin is desired; additional foreign language fluency is plus
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related field
- A minimum of 3 years of live broadcasting experience including researching information and locating potential guests
- 3+ years of national or local major market experience
- Web and social media experience preferred
- International news experience is required
- Interest in China and the Asia Pacific is a plus
- Must be authorized to work in the United States